Business Sucks

Old September 5th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

Default Business Sucks

Sure is quiet around here... real estate sales & values are way down...
gas is $3/gallon. Aside from all that did I mention that business sucks?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 5th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"glassman" wrote in message
Sure is quiet around here... real estate sales & values are way down...
gas is $3/gallon. Aside from all that did I mention that business sucks?

Maybe you should move?

Opportunities seem unlimited in Vancouver, BC. ;)

Old September 5th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Moonraker wrote:

Opportunities seem unlimited in Vancouver, BC. ;)

Even better in Victoria BC.
Repairs & commissions are backed up so much we're turning down jobs and
we're consistently behind on filling orders for both stained glass and
kilnformed glass. Sales into Alaska (gawd I love cruise ships and
NAFTA) are double last year.

Same for sales of supplies. We have a steady stream of new artisans
turning pro and new retailers opening shop. The demand for kilns is so
great, it's now taking about 4 weeks to get one from the factory. Most
kiln sales are to artisans that already have one or more kilns and need
more capacity to handle sales demand.

Wanna piece of advice to improve business? Abandon stained glass and
focus on kilnforming and torchwork.

Adapt or die!

Dennis Brady

Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz
DeBrady Glassworks - http://www.debrady.com
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com

Old September 5th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

See, Kim?

Right from the horse's ass...er, mouth.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 5th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

wrote in message

Sales into Alaska (gawd I love cruise ships and
NAFTA) are double last year.

Damn, man! what ever are you going to do with that extra $100? I thought
you were the one that was "running" from the Yankee dollar?

Same for sales of supplies. We have a steady stream of new artisans
turning pro and new retailers opening shop.

Wow! I'm looking for a couple of new retailers to do business with. How
about posting a list of their names, phone #'s, and websites? Since they
are all buying from you...think of it as more of your self-serving spam.

Old September 5th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Moonraker wrote:
wrote in message

Sales into Alaska (gawd I love cruise ships and
NAFTA) are double last year.

Damn, man! what ever are you going to do with that extra $100?

.....Increase inventory? Print more books? Save for another bigger
kiln?

I thought
you were the one that was "running" from the Yankee dollar?

......A buck is a buck - even if it has dropped 50 cents in value. A
steadily diving US dollar increases prices on our finished product (so
far that hasn't hurt sales) but decreases cost of US materials (glass
costs less ever day making Canadian artisans increasingly competitive
to sell into the US).

Wow! I'm looking for a couple of new retailers to do business with.

.....There's a list of shops that buy finished product on the DeBrady
website. If you're interested in selling finished product, you should
try the wholesale gift shows. If you make a good product, and can make
it efficiently enough to sell at market level prices, it WILL sell.
There are thousands of retailers paying to travel to those shows just
to find new product for their shops. If what you make isn't selling,
it's either that your work isn't good enough to sell, or you're
incapable of producing it efficiently enough to meet market level
pricing. Figure out what you're doing wrong, stop doing it wrong, and
you'll be able to sell everything you make.

Dennis Brady

Old September 6th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

hmmm...maybe you ought to buy different kilns. I get mine delivered to
my customers in about a week. 4 went out last week and two customers
called to tell me they got them. What are you making on those
Skutts...about $80 or so. Peanuts!

Andy