new/old scarf idea

Old December 1st 04, 03:59 PM

Default new/old scarf idea

A customer had the neatest scarf on last Saturday. The scarf had been
a gift from a friend, who had travelled to Argentina. She took the
scarf off so I could see how it was made.

The scarf appeared to be crocheted (but I'm sure the same type of
design could be knit) from a novelty yarn, that had multi-coloured
slubs, and some eyelash yarn it it as well. It had a triangular
shape, and was worn with the point of the triangle to the front and
the other ends were tied behind the neck. The scarf draped
beautifully and filled in the neckline of her coat.

Has anyone seen a pattern for a similiar scarf? It looked like it
would be quick and easy to make, and not take a lot of yarn.

thanks...Linda
Old December 1st 04, 04:21 PM
Karen in MN

Linda wrote in message

A customer had the neatest scarf on last Saturday. The scarf had been
a gift from a friend, who had travelled to Argentina. She took the
scarf off so I could see how it was made.

The scarf appeared to be crocheted (but I'm sure the same type of
design could be knit) from a novelty yarn, that had multi-coloured
slubs, and some eyelash yarn it it as well. It had a triangular
shape, and was worn with the point of the triangle to the front and
the other ends were tied behind the neck. The scarf draped
beautifully and filled in the neckline of her coat.

Has anyone seen a pattern for a similiar scarf? It looked like it
would be quick and easy to make, and not take a lot of yarn.

thanks...Linda

I have a couple of techiques that I use for triangular scarves like that,
with certain blouses I like to wear a triangular scarf with the point in
front, and then tied around the neck with the ends coming forward again and
tying in the front.

First option is simply to cast on three stitches, and then on every row,
knit into the front and back of the first and last stitch, increasing by
two. You can do this every row or every other row depending on how deep you
want the triangle to go.

The other one I do, which makes a shallower triangle (and uses less yarn!)
is to cast on three, knit them, and then cast on another three at the
beginning of each row. Again, you can adjust how wide it ends up by casting
on more or less than that.

Another option for a scarf that isn't triangle, but is more of a "v" shape,
is to cast on a certain number, and then increase on one side while
decreasing on the other so that you are knitting diagonally. When it gets
to half the length you want it to be, reverse the slanting, so that you
begin increasing on the side you were decreasing on, and decreasing on the
side that you were increasing on. The result is a "v" shaped rectangular
scarf with diagonal ends.

Karen in MN

Old December 1st 04, 06:41 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Karen,

Great to see you again, hope everything is going all right.

Hugs,

Nora
Old December 1st 04, 07:08 PM
Karen in MN

"NoraBalcer" wrote in message
Hi Karen,

Great to see you again, hope everything is going all right.

Hugs,

Nora

Hi Nora!

Been very busy with non-knitting issues lately (unfortunately, no changes
there), and also had some usenet problems with the ISP that went on for
several weeks. I've missed a LOT of posts, and today is the first time I've
been able to stop in for awhile. I feel like I've been away from home.

Karen in MN

Old December 1st 04, 09:59 PM

Thank you so much for the info Karen You've made it sound so easy
to do

take care, Linda

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:21:31 -0600, "Karen in MN"
ask.me.for.my.email.address wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old December 2nd 04, 06:13 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Karen for a very elaborate description ,
i have learned now that one can also decrease in the middle both sides
of the middle stich ,,, and or both in the middle and at the sides .
But as i wrote before i preffer to start at widest side
Cast on stiches as long as you want the wide part to be and than
Decrease at start of each row ,,, or at start and at bith sides of
middle stich
And Welcome back Karen.
mirjam
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:21:31 -0600, "Karen in MN"
ask.me.for.my.email.address wrote:

.. .

Old December 2nd 04, 07:32 PM
Aud

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" skrev i melding
Thank you Karen for a very elaborate description ,
i have learned now that one can also decrease in the middle both sides
of the middle stich ,,, and or both in the middle and at the sides .
But as i wrote before i preffer to start at widest side
Cast on stiches as long as you want the wide part to be and than
Decrease at start of each row ,,, or at start and at bith sides of
middle stich
And Welcome back Karen.
mirjam
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:21:31 -0600, "Karen in MN"

Karen and Mirjam thank you for the explanations!
... and Karen; GOOD to see you!
AUD ;-))

Christmas gift idea -- Christian men spampot Yarn 1 November 25th 04 03:26 PM
Interesting Idea Seaspray Yarn 0 November 17th 04 04:31 PM
Interesting Idea Seaspray Yarn 0 November 17th 04 04:31 PM
Sooz's Challenge idea.... Challenge angela Beads 10 August 17th 03 07:04 AM
An Idea Jalynne Beads 30 July 31st 03 05:15 AM