question about looms for bead weaving

Old December 5th 04, 05:52 AM
FurPaw

Default question about looms for bead weaving

I'm about to embark on weaving a hatband. I have an el-cheapo metal
loom (the type with wooden rollers and springs to separate the threads),
which I used to learn the basic technique. Then I ordered myself an
allegedly "better" wooden loom, which is a few threads wider but not
much longer, especially if I bend the arms on the metal loom apart. I
plan to return the wooden loom.

What kind of loom do the bead weavers among you recommend? A guy at a
beading store said that Mirrix looms are the best - and at those prices,
they ought to be! I don't plan to weave large tapestries; I just want
something that is stable, holds the threads well, can handle maybe
60-100 threads, and is easy to use.

Another question - what do you do when your work is longer than the
length of the loom? Do you make several pieces and then thread them
together? Or?

Thanks!

FurPaw
--

I don't mind coming to work, but that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch.

To reply, unleash the dog
Old December 5th 04, 09:41 AM
Christina Peterson

Warps are the long ones. When you put the long threads on you are "warping
the loom" -- and if you pull them unevenly you tweak/warp the loom too.

Tina

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from FurPaw
:

]I just want
]something that is stable, holds the threads well, can handle maybe
]60-100 threads, and is easy to use.

one of my exs made me one. it's adjustable. i could send you a
picture.

]Another question - what do you do when your work is longer than the
]length of the loom? Do you make several pieces and then thread them
]together? Or?

i stop when i can't go any further - move it down over the spring, and
keep going. i can slide it down to cover the blank spot later. i
prefer not to have to cut the threads [warp, i think . . . i can never
remember which is which.]

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old December 6th 04, 04:02 AM
FurPaw

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from FurPaw
:

]I just want
]something that is stable, holds the threads well, can handle maybe
]60-100 threads, and is easy to use.

one of my exs made me one. it's adjustable. i could send you a
picture.

Yes, please! Send it to furpaw at comcast dot net. Thanks!

]Another question - what do you do when your work is longer than the
]length of the loom? Do you make several pieces and then thread them
]together? Or?

i stop when i can't go any further - move it down over the spring, and
keep going. i can slide it down to cover the blank spot later. i
prefer not to have to cut the threads [warp, i think . . . i can never
remember which is which.]

Ahhh - I never thought about leaving a gap and then sliding the work
down. Thanks!

FurPaw

Old December 7th 04, 02:18 AM
FurPaw

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from FurPaw
:

]Yes, please! Send it to furpaw at comcast dot net. Thanks!

done!

Thanks! It's a cool design!

FurPaw

Old December 9th 04, 05:29 AM
Helen C

I made a hatband once. Didn't even bother with a loom. Just took my
warp thread longer than than needed and put them on a hook. It worked
but let me tell you, those first few rows were a pain. A comb works
well to seperate it. Or maybe the threads through a piece of plactic
canvas?

Don't need no stinkin' loom!

Later,

Helen C

*back after computer issues and attempting to do some major catch up!