several questions

Old August 16th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

Default several questions answers-long

I tried to answer your questions one at a time- see below

Jane in NE Ohio

"Jacqueline" wrote in message
I have a few questions I would like to ask, I hope someone will
answer me

1. do fat quarters have to be washed first or are they suppose to be
washed when you buy them? I picked up some at walmart yesterday and
am just wondering.

You don't HAVE to prewash your fabric. A lot of us like to- you find out if
the color will run, you preshrink the cloth, and if you will be storing it
getting the sizing out makes it less attractive to bugs and mice.

Stores don't prewash their fabric. Fat quarters and smaller are easier to
wash in the machine if you put each one into a net bag like the bags for
bras or sweaters, unfolded as much as you can & still fit it in the bag.
Wash with similar colors (reds oranges pinks reddish-purples) (blues greens
blueish -purples) (yellow cream white beige light pastels) (brown black or
black navy is how I group them. For the darker colors I use a color catcher
sheet also. If I am washing mostly fabric I use the delicate cycle with
about 1/4 the usual detergent and an extra rinse. Dry the fabric (in the bag
if you used one) until damp. Take it out and fold the large pieces as
smoothly as you can, I lay them out on my bed. They are a lot easier to iron
if they are mostly smooth already-If I will be storing them I just let them
air dry like this, since I'll have to iron it when I am ready to cut anyway.
I start ironing the smallest pieces first. If the pieces are out of square
you can pull them into straight (the threads crossing at 90 degree angles,
not always the way they were cut) easiest at this point. It is not essential
to have little pieces straight, but it really helps with the long pieces
like sashing and borders.

2. I bought a pair of, is it fiskars, rotary cutters, one is the one
size recommended I think it was 45 is that MM, but I just opened them
and noticed they both have oil on the blades, is this normal? Oh, the
reason I got two is one came with a cutting pad I wanted and the pad
was the same price with the rotary cutter as without. The other one
is interchangeable, can be either 60-65 or 40-45, if I could remember
my numbers it would help, it too has oil on it. As far as scissors, I
got a small pair by Fiskars to clip threads with and I inherited my
mother's good sewing scissors and pinking shears, no paper has ever
been cut with these, plus I have a decent pair of scissors and we have
one fairly good pair that we do use when cutting paper, but being my
mother sewed all the time, when we were growing up we learned at a
very early age you do not cut paper with her good scissors.

The blades come with oil on them to protect the metal. Cut through a few
scraps to get the excess off.

3. When ironing material that has just been washed and dried, I read
that you do not iron it like clothes (not that I iron clothes, shoot I
hate that job so if I buy something wear it and it turns out needing
ironing it goes in the yard sale bag for the church) that you press
the iron down, then pick it up and press it down again, is this true?
If so it appears do me you would never get a piece of cloth ironed.
Oh, gosh I have to learn to iron.

If you are ironing yardage, just iron it. The smaller the piece the easier
it is to stretch it out of shape, so you need to press them more carefully.

4. When you are ironing your seams together do you iron both seams to
the same side? I figured you ironed the one seam to one side the
other to the other side, then thinking of this I think that would
weaken the tread. Now I have been reading all the treads seems I can
respond to the off topic ones best. Esp, if it has to do with cooking
and c-pap. But when ironing seams do you not need steam? I have
noticed some of the travel irons you all have mentioned have steam and
some do not. I want to get me a small iron because I am not running
down to the basement every time I need to iron a seam. Which brings
up another question, I am sewing, well I am not, but let's pretend I
am, two squares together, do I iron after I get two together or can I
wait until I get the entire row sewn together to do the ironing?

You need to iron before you cross a line of sewing with another line of
sewing, or you will end up sewing in little puckers.

5. I have yet to figure out how to cut a square, using the ruler, now
you all may laugh at this but I am wondering if it would work if I got
my dad to take some good wood like maybe black walnut and cut me a 4",
5", 6" square, sand it good, making sure he leaves enough that when he
is finished it is the right size, maybe putting some kind of protector
on it and using these to cut the squares. Would this work? If so I
will probably get him to make me a 1", 2", 2.5 and 3 inch one also.

6. I also read somewhere that you never cut more than 4 squares at a
time, is this also true?

Try this website for basic rotary cutting instructions. They have a lot of
help on other topics also.

http://www.quilt.com/HowTo/RotaryCuttingDirections.html

I act like I am going to start cutting tomorrow, but I am first going
to try some pre-cut quilt tops before I get into any big time cutting,
because I just am not sure I can do it.

I have to start PT Friday, which is going to be 3 days a week and also
is a 60 mile round trip so I am not so sure I am going to get into any
sewing other than practicing for a while. This has caused my
excitement to dwindle just a little.

I also need a new pair of glasses so will get those, too before I
start any kind of project.

I am sorry I have so many questions at one time, but I actually have a
few more but these are just the ones that came to my mind tonight as I
was putting up my quilting purchases.

Thanks for all your time and effort in answering these questions, I am
sure you all are put out with me, but this is something I really,
really want to do.

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things

Old August 16th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default several questions

You'll get other answers, and maybe different ones since there are no Quilt
Police. But here are my answers:

"Jacqueline" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a few questions I would like to ask, I hope someone will
answer me

1. do fat quarters have to be washed first or are they suppose to be
washed when you buy them?

I wash all fabric as soon as I bring it in the door.

2. I bought a pair of, is it fiskars, rotary cutters, one is the one
size recommended I think it was 45 is that MM, but I just opened them
and noticed they both have oil on the blades, is this normal?

Well done getting 2 cutters. I keep one on my cutting table and another next
to the sewing machine, along with a small cutting mat, so I can trim squares
to size as I go along. The ironing board lives next to the machine too. Sew,
press, trim to size.
Oil is no problem, wipe off excess with a tissue. Watch your fingers!

3. When ironing material that has just been washed and dried, I read
that you do not iron it like clothes

I press new fabric while it's still damp. Go ahead and iron , it will tend
to relax as you fold it up to put on the shelf. Try to iron with the grain,
not on the bias. You need to be more careful when pressing your pieced
blocks.

4. When you are ironing your seams together do you iron both seams to
the same side?

I mostly press to one side, the darker side if possible. Finger press the
seam first (I use a little wooden butter knife for this), then press nice
and flat with the iron.

Which brings
up another question, I am sewing, well I am not, but let's pretend I
am, two squares together, do I iron after I get two together or can I
wait until I get the entire row sewn together to do the ironing?

Press all seams before you cross them with another seam. So yes, you could
sew a whole row of squares together and then press. If the squares are
small-ish though, it might be easier to handle one seam at a time. Try and
see.

5. I have yet to figure out how to cut a square, using the ruler, now
you all may laugh at this but I am wondering if it would work if I got
my dad to take some good wood like maybe black walnut and cut me a 4",
5", 6" square, sand it good, making sure he leaves enough that when he
is finished it is the right size, maybe putting some kind of protector
on it and using these to cut the squares. Would this work?

No idea! Try one and see. I'd be worried about accuracy. 3.999" is close but
not the same as 4". Also, lots of times you'll want to cut odd sizes, much
easier with a real ruler.

6. I also read somewhere that you never cut more than 4 squares at a
time, is this also true?

I have been known to cut 6 or even 8 with a sharp new blade. But very
carefully! It didn't save me any time. And 4 squares tend to be a good unit
to count with -you need 4 corners for an Ohio star block for example.

Old August 16th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I, too, will do all I can to have to cut only one layer at a time,
Debra.
But, I did find out quite by chance, in a class, about one thing I was
doing that contributed to the 'fold kink'. The solution was to have the
fold closest to you, i.e. parallel to the edge you are cutting from, and
begin cutting from the fold. You might already do that, of course; but
I was tending to put the fold furthest from me. Odd but true!
..
In message , Debra
writes
snipped
Note: I've tried to fold the fabric and rotary cut strips, but I just
end up with a bend at the middle no matter how careful I am, so I
prefer to cut through only one layer of fabric at a time.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 16th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Jacqueline wrote:

I have a few questions I would like to ask, I hope someone will
answer me

1. do fat quarters have to be washed first or are they suppose to be
washed when you buy them? I picked up some at walmart yesterday and
am just wondering.

This is the stuff of religious wars, my dear! Beware!

Actually, when you buy them they are NOT washed. If you want to wash
them, do. We tend always to wash fabric that is going into swap blocks
or squishies since so many of us suffer from allergies. Beyond that,
was as and when you please! (I know, I'm a heretic! ;P )

[...]

Oil on the blades IS normal as they are NOT stainless. Just wipe over
with a tissue or soft cloth before use.

And good on the scissor thoughts!

3. When ironing material that has just been washed and dried, I read
that you do not iron it like clothes (not that I iron clothes, shoot I
hate that job so if I buy something wear it and it turns out needing
ironing it goes in the yard sale bag for the church) that you press
the iron down, then pick it up and press it down again, is this true?
If so it appears do me you would never get a piece of cloth ironed.
Oh, gosh I have to learn to iron.

You can iron any way you please so long as you get the flatness you
want! Pressing (the lift and press way) is great for some construction
details in piecing, but for squashing the wrinkles out of FQ's I steam
iron (the only ironing I do other than during garment construction. DH
does the family ironing!).

4. When you are ironing your seams together do you iron both seams to
the same side? I figured you ironed the one seam to one side the
other to the other side, then thinking of this I think that would
weaken the tread. Now I have been reading all the treads seems I can
respond to the off topic ones best. Esp, if it has to do with cooking
and c-pap. But when ironing seams do you not need steam? I have
noticed some of the travel irons you all have mentioned have steam and
some do not. I want to get me a small iron because I am not running
down to the basement every time I need to iron a seam. Which brings
up another question, I am sewing, well I am not, but let's pretend I
am, two squares together, do I iron after I get two together or can I
wait until I get the entire row sewn together to do the ironing?

Depends... If I have LOADS of seams coming together in the middle of a
star, I'll press whatever way gives me the flattest outcome! Other than
the, I press to the dark side... I.e. press the seam together towards
the darker fabric. Helps to hide the seam allowances! And I steam all
the time!

Oh, and I wait until I have a whole pile of rows before running off to
the iron! I have a small iron (not as small as a travel iron) and table
top board in the sewing room, but for major piles I pop down and fill up
the mad 3.15 from Paddington steam generator iron in the conservatory.
For tiny details I have a Clover Mini iron, also useful for welding
jewels on wedding frocks...

5. I have yet to figure out how to cut a square, using the ruler, now
you all may laugh at this but I am wondering if it would work if I got
my dad to take some good wood like maybe black walnut and cut me a 4",
5", 6" square, sand it good, making sure he leaves enough that when he
is finished it is the right size, maybe putting some kind of protector
on it and using these to cut the squares. Would this work? If so I
will probably get him to make me a 1", 2", 2.5 and 3 inch one also.

For something like a 6" finished square, I'll cut a 6.5" strip, using
the ruler lines as a guide, then use those lines to help cut it into
squares. Here's a more detailed explanation:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...icleNum=ae0346

6. I also read somewhere that you never cut more than 4 squares at a
time, is this also true?

Possibly no more than 4 layers of fabric at a time is wise when you are
new to the method. I've cut up to 8 with the bigger cutter, but you run
the risk of the layers slipping so the squares are distorted.

I act like I am going to start cutting tomorrow, but I am first going
to try some pre-cut quilt tops before I get into any big time cutting,
because I just am not sure I can do it.

Ge some gash fabric and practice! I used sheeting offcuts and spent an
afternoon getting the technique sorted.

I have to start PT Friday, which is going to be 3 days a week and also
is a 60 mile round trip so I am not so sure I am going to get into any
sewing other than practicing for a while. This has caused my
excitement to dwindle just a little.

Don't let it! Once you start practising, you'll soon get all mad for it
again!

I also need a new pair of glasses so will get those, too before I
start any kind of project.

Good move! But don't let the not quite right ones stop you doing some
trial cutting on any ole bits of cloth!

I am sorry I have so many questions at one time, but I actually have a
few more but these are just the ones that came to my mind tonight as I
was putting up my quilting purchases.

Hehehehe... An important part of the process, that stowing of the kit,
petting each thing as you put it in its allotted space, stoking the
fabric, sniffing it...

Thanks for all your time and effort in answering these questions, I am
sure you all are put out with me, but this is something I really,
really want to do.

And helping you do it is something WE really want to do, so don't worry
about it! Better to ask the questions first than make the mistakes first!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 17th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

you also must (that should be highly emphasized ...MUST ) have the ruler
perpendicular to the fold. It is easy to cut a width of fabric folded
twice, selvedge together then fold carried to selvedges, as long as the
folds are all parallel and you cut perpendicular to them you will get a
straight piece.
This is actually more accurate than cutting a long piece because many of
us have shorter arms, have problems "controlling" the longer ruler, and
don't have the "oomph" to cut through the fabric all the way out at a
long reach across the table.
I have, but very seldom use, a 24" long ruler. Mostly use it for
trimming quilt edges after quilting. But have several 4" (or 4 1/2") x
14" rulers (my favorite) and a couple of 6(1/2)" x 12" rulers. I get
much more accurate cuts this way.
Of course everyone has to find their own best way. BG
Jacqueline, try things on cheap/"throw away" fabric, or old worn out
sheets or what ever you can get like that. Do try to make sure they are
cotton because blends with polyester will dull your rotary blades faster.

Practice the other information given about cutting and you will
eventually become more comfortable with it.

And always feel free to ask questions. you will get many different
answers to any one question. Try them, or as many as you can until you
find the one that works for you.

Pati, in Phx

.

Old August 17th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Just thought of the Golden Rule from my LQS - the very first thing we
were taught - when you have cut a strip of fabric with your Rotary
Cutter, SHUT THE CUTTER!! every time (unless, of course you have one
of those self shutting ones). So, Cut, Shut, Cut, Shut!

Teacher used to really be cross with us if we forgot, and now its
second nature. They really are lethal, and if you knock it off the
table and it hits your foot, or if you catch your hand on it, you will
be the thing that is cut, and they cut very deep.
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:52:13 GMT, Irrational Number
wrote:

Jacqueline wrote:

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:17:49 GMT, Irrational Number
wrote:

Anita,

What is the difference between ironing and pressing? Thanks for all
the answers.

Oh, you had described it exactly. When ironing,
you move the iron around. When pressing, you lift
the iron so that you do not stretch the fabric. You
don't have to lift very high, though. I don't know
if people press after washing/drying, but I know
you should press seams (instead of ironing them).

-- Anita --

Old August 17th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
julia sidebottom

Sally Swindells wrote:
Just thought of the Golden Rule from my LQS - the very first thing we
were taught - when you have cut a strip of fabric with your Rotary
Cutter, SHUT THE CUTTER!! every time (unless, of course you have one
of those self shutting ones). So, Cut, Shut, Cut, Shut!

Teacher used to really be cross with us if we forgot, and now its
second nature. They really are lethal, and if you knock it off the
table and it hits your foot, or if you catch your hand on it, you will
be the thing that is cut, and they cut very deep.
--

I for one know that rule very well. Ask my right fore finger and the 12
stitches it had from my rotary cutter shortly after I first started
Old August 17th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

After reading through all the responses, I don't think I can add anything
useful. Seems like everything has been covered very well. It was interesting
to see how many people do what I do!

Boca Jan

Old August 17th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Again, I would like to thank all of you for personally taking time out
from your day and every day duties to answer my questions. I have a
lot to digest and as soon as I find out what days I will be going to
PT I will start to sew. I am just too excited about this and I know
one day I will have a quilt to show for this excitement. When I start
it I will probably post pictures daily so you all can critique me on
what I am doing right and wrong. I want it to work out right.

Thanks with all my heart,

Old August 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ceridwen

I just love this group. There are so many wonderful and talented people on
this group to reply to questions. I enjoy reading the answers. Thanks to
all you new quilters, a refresher is good. ;o)

--
Carole
Champlain, NY

http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea