finished! and need advice on new project

Old August 8th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter

Default finished! and need advice on new project

I finished the dresden plate quilt top. photos will be uploaded later
this week... I plan to handquilt it this winter.

so now on to my next rescue quilt. this one was given to me by the
previous owner of the house we bought last summer when she saw me
cringing as I noticed it was being going to be used to pack the truck,
together with a much older one in pretty bad shape I haven't touched
yet. apparently they were made by her grandmother. I think this one is
not that old (based on the fabrics), while the other looks too old.
maybe it was a generic 'grandmother' or maybe the woman lived a 100
years and made quilts all along!

anyway, I disgress, as usual. this is the top:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43213071fyYUjN

the green fabric was very thin and I didn't like it anyway (would have
learnt to live with it if it had been in fine shape though), so I took
it apart. I have ~40 good blocks. I am thinking of putting them in a 5x7
setting and saving the extras. I like symmetry anyway!

three questions:

a. I am not sure I want to remake the little 4 patch squares used as
posts (most of those are in bad shape too) but I do like the secondary
effect. of course I could get that by substituting them for black
squares (I have an 'antique' - old at last, piece of fabric that might
be perfect for this if it is large enough. if not I might have to find
another fabric and do the 4 patchs. what do you think? do I stick to the
original design? technically this is not my quilt so the usual advice
does not apply... )

BTW, notice there is a mistake in the orientation of one of the lower
right blocks that breaks the pattern made by the post squares

b. I really don't think that green sashing worked well with the other
colours. what would you use instead?

c. it had no borders, but would you put one on? or more?

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 8th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Toni Schneidt

I agree, the green just doesn't do it for me. However, maybe a different
shade would work?
The 4-patches...I like the effect they give. But if they are in bad shape,
maybe redo them. JMHO
Borders, it would give an almost framed look, and i like that. maybe use the
same fabric from the sashing, maybe use a shade darker. I usually wait on
borders till the top is done. What i would normally pick for them sometimes
doesn't work in the end.
JMHO,
Toni

Old August 8th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NancyB

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:38:00 -0700, DrQuilter
wrote:

anyway, I disgress, as usual. this is the top:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43213071fyYUjN

What a beautiful design! I'd stick with that, and I'm
seeing a dark blue or gold/ecru color to replace the green.
JMO, of course. I love the "scrappiness" of it.

NancyB (NS, Canada)
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 8th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

IMO you could go ahead and use black squares for the posts. Just make sure
to get a real black, not an overdyed (cheap) fabric, which will likely fade
to brown.

I think the green was not so bad. What about something more turquoise?

No borders needed!
Roberta in D

Old August 8th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Answers, from my point of view!

a) I like the four patches there, but a single block should be OK too.
It just won't have the echo of the back and yellow? print from the nine
patches.
There is more than one wrong orientation! So, if you keep them, you'll
have to change them round - amazing how much it shows, isn't it, when
you think how small they are.

b) I do actually like the green; but, if you don't, what about some
shade of yellow? There are some yellow/green? bits in one of the prints
I think?

c) It didn't seem to be desperate for a border. Perhaps that depends on
where/where you are going to use it. If it is going to be put in a
specific place/for a specific purpose, then tailor the size to that.
..
In message , DrQuilter
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Marissa:
Looking at that quilt, I wonder if the
blocks are older than the green sashes.
Maybe they were a UFO, and the green was
added much later. Anyhow, it is a wishy
washy color and does not look good.
With the black squares, you will need a
medium value sashing. I like that
strong chartreuse green I see in some
blocks. Otherwise, medium blue, or
medium maroon.
I do like the chain effect, so I'd stick
with the basic setting. IMO, it is fine
to just use the black squares instead of
the four patches. Borders? Wait and see.
Have fun! PAT

DrQuilter wrote:
(CUT!!)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43213071fyYUjN

Old August 9th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I agree the blocks look older than the setting. We aren't the first
generation with UFO's. Find a store that sells reproduction fabrics
(Wish you were closer. We have a great one in the western suburbs of
Chicago) Take the squares to the store and auditioned sashing fabrics.
Borders were not common in past generations but this is your quilt and
finish how you wish.

Susan

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:36:02 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

Marissa:
Looking at that quilt, I wonder if the
blocks are older than the green sashes.
Maybe they were a UFO, and the green was
added much later. Anyhow, it is a wishy
washy color and does not look good.
With the black squares, you will need a
medium value sashing. I like that
strong chartreuse green I see in some
blocks. Otherwise, medium blue, or
medium maroon.
I do like the chain effect, so I'd stick
with the basic setting. IMO, it is fine
to just use the black squares instead of
the four patches. Borders? Wait and see.
Have fun! PAT

DrQuilter wrote:
(CUT!!)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43213071fyYUjN

Old August 18th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter

I have enough good 4 patches for most of the spots. I will make a couple
with a different black fabric and put them in non obvious places. I got
a light blue 'antique' chambray at the APNQ show (same guy I got the
purple fabric for the dresden plates 2 years ago). he specializes in old
fabrics and said the top has fabrics from the 20s to 50s..... a true
scrap basket quilt!

btw, I showed the blocks to a lady from m guild that was in a stand
doing written estimates and restorations of quilts and she invited me to
the open house she holds ever third friday of the month... that is today
- I am excited!

wrote:

Marissa:
Looking at that quilt, I wonder if the
blocks are older than the green sashes.
Maybe they were a UFO, and the green was
added much later. Anyhow, it is a wishy
washy color and does not look good.
With the black squares, you will need a
medium value sashing. I like that
strong chartreuse green I see in some
blocks. Otherwise, medium blue, or
medium maroon.
I do like the chain effect, so I'd stick
with the basic setting. IMO, it is fine
to just use the black squares instead of
the four patches. Borders? Wait and see.
Have fun! PAT

(CUT!!)