question about binding width

Old March 21st 04, 06:11 PM
Ann Pillman

Default question about binding width

I've made 2 quilts from kits -- one said cut binding 2 1/2" wide then
double over, attach with 3/8" seam to quilt. The other kit said cut
binding 2 1/4" wide then double over, attach with 1/4" seam to quilt.

Is there a "standard" width and seam allowance? Does it vary depending
on the size of the project? Wider for a bigger project?

I'm now making some 10" x 10" wall hangings (music motif paper-pieced
blocks) for my daughter's music teachers... and I'm not sure what width
of binding to use or which seam allowance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--Ann
Old March 21st 04, 06:23 PM
Laurie G.

My preference is 2 1/4 wide, double over, attach with a 1/4" seam and trim
the backing and batting to 3/8" from seam. This gives me a smaller binding
that doesn't have "space" inside. I like to stitch to the back right at the
seam line. Feels stronger to me. JMO :-)

Laurie G.

Old March 21st 04, 06:27 PM
Mystified One

Try this:

http://quilting.about.com/library/weekly/aa102298.htm

I don't think there's any standard size, to be honest. I'd also use a
smaller binding on a wallhanging than on a bed quilt.

. com...

Old March 21st 04, 06:38 PM
Roberta Zollner

I usually do 2.5", doubled over, and trim the sandwich about a quarter inch
extra (= half inch from the stitching line) after sewing the binding on. I
like a narrow-ish but fat binding. And fiddling with 3/8" seams is just too
persnickety. I have the quarter-inch foot and use it.

It's your quilt. If you want binding extra-wide, go right ahead. Or narrow
for your wall hangings, that's fine too. The 2.5" width is fairly
economical, and one can cut useful squares or triangles from the leftovers,
so that's my standard size.
Roberta in D

Old March 21st 04, 06:47 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Ann Pillman wrote:

I've made 2 quilts from kits -- one said cut binding 2 1/2" wide then
double over, attach with 3/8" seam to quilt. The other kit said cut
binding 2 1/4" wide then double over, attach with 1/4" seam to quilt.

Is there a "standard" width and seam allowance? Does it vary depending
on the size of the project? Wider for a bigger project?

I'm now making some 10" x 10" wall hangings (music motif paper-pieced
blocks) for my daughter's music teachers... and I'm not sure what width
of binding to use or which seam allowance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--Ann

Ann, different people prefer different widths of binding. However, it is
a good idea to make sure that, whatever width you prefer, the entire
binding is "full" of batting. Personally, I prefer very narrow binding,
so I cut it as narrow as possible, usually a maximum of 2.25". HTH.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old March 21st 04, 07:32 PM
Rita

Both would produce the same size binding in the long run. It's just that
you have more seam to the 3/8". I personally prefer the 2 1/4" with 1/4"
seam. If you were doing patchwork, the blocks would be more consistent
with each other.
--
Rita
http://www.ritasquilts.com

Old March 21st 04, 08:25 PM
Anna Belle

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:32:01 -0500, Rita
wrote:

Both would produce the same size binding in the long run. It's just that
you have more seam to the 3/8". I personally prefer the 2 1/4" with 1/4"
seam. If you were doing patchwork, the blocks would be more consistent
with each other.
--
Rita
http://www.ritasquilts.com

Hi Rita,
Good to see you back.

I agree on the 2 1/4 with 1/4 seam. They judge for our last two shows
insisted the entire binding be filled with batting or seam. Much
easier to do without the extra 1/4 inch to fill.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay

Seaside Piecemaker's Quilt Show
Melbourne, Fl. Auditorium
April 2 & 3
Old March 21st 04, 10:19 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Me, too. G
Yeah, Rita, I prefer the 2¼" strips w/ the ¼" seam.
This week, tho', I did the slightly wider 2½" strip for a binding
(the quilt top maker's border was a bit wobbly and didn't line up
quite flush, so the wider binding covers the difference),
and it was difficult for me to make that seam wider. g
I can measure ¼" in the dark; measuring 3/8" meant re-doing a couple
of the mitered corners, but now it looks great!
As others have noted, the binding should be filled w/ either
the batting or fabric from front or back; empty binding is a
mistake (it wears out faster, flops, moves).

Ragmop/Sandy-in sunny, cool north Texas

. ..

Old March 21st 04, 11:07 PM
Rita

Hi Anna Belle
How are you?
--
Rita
http://www.ritasquilts.com

Old March 22nd 04, 06:51 PM
Kathy in CA

I am sure you will get lots of answers to this I have tried several
widths for binding and find I peraonally like the 2" cut size the best--2
1/2" seemed waaaay to large too me. I dont like ANY hand sewing so I sew the
binding right sides together on the back using the width of the walking foot
edge (bigger than 1/4") and then fold to the edge of the quilt and then
fold again (at the edge of the quilt) to just past the seam line and then
stitch, frequently with that zig-zaggy one that does 3 or 4 stitches for
each zig and zag.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

"Ann Pillman" wrote in message
I've made 2 quilts from kits -- one said cut binding 2 1/2" wide then
double over, attach with 3/8" seam to quilt. The other kit said cut
binding 2 1/4" wide then double over, attach with 1/4" seam to quilt.

Is there a "standard" width and seam allowance? Does it vary depending
on the size of the project? Wider for a bigger project?

I'm now making some 10" x 10" wall hangings (music motif paper-pieced
blocks) for my daughter's music teachers... and I'm not sure what width
of binding to use or which seam allowance.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--Ann

Knitting - another question! Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 9 October 21st 04 09:19 PM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Judging quilts and bindings . . . . Donna in Idaho Quilting 23 August 31st 03 02:26 PM
binding question Julia in MN Quilting 32 August 30th 03 08:56 PM
New Way of Binding Kathy Applebaum Quilting 6 July 12th 03 07:20 PM