Wetern world embroidered Amulets ?

Old July 26th 03, 08:46 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Wetern world embroidered Amulets ?

Has anyone ever seen or read about Western embroidered Amulets ?
i got plenty about Eastern ones ,,,,, am curious about the Wetern ones

Also anybody saw ever an embroidered Godess , i mean the Pre Christian
type ,,?
mirjam
Old July 26th 03, 04:47 PM
Bungadora

(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen)

Has anyone ever seen or read about Western embroidered Amulets ?
i got plenty about Eastern ones ,,,,, am curious about the Wetern ones

Also anybody saw ever an embroidered Godess , i mean the Pre Christian
type ,,?
mirjam

A lot of beading people do 'amulet bags', although they are not amulets in the
traditional sense. I have one that I made to fit my credit cards, so it has
certain protective qualities, but generally they are decorative.

I'm sure I've seen goddess embroideries over on the bead group. There might be
something in my beading magazines I could forward to you in a couple of weeks.
I'm moving and everything is packed in boxes.

Then there is also goddess.com. I've only taken a brief look at the site, but
it is rather interesting.

Dora

Old July 27th 03, 10:18 AM
Lula

Hello Mirjam,

I'm more familiar with eastern amulets too......now you've got me
thinking about the subject of western ones.
The first thing most often related to amulet bags is they're made from
various types of beads.

I've bought contemporary artist's amulet bags through the years.....not
sure if these amulet bags were for art's sake or for a special
purpose......many people do believe in the power of amulets but not
familiar with it as a western tradition.

One of my amulet bags was knitted from fine silk yarns, beads and
embellished with shells and carved fetishes from Southwestern Indians.
The others are made of fine glass beads in lovely patterns.

Now I wonder if North and South American Indian tribes had traditions to
make amulet bags to contain treaured items. Beads and decorative
embellishment could be made from many types of raw materials.

These tribal peoples used many natural findings such as porcupine
quills, seeds for example or could have "manufactured" some of these
natural findings like sea shells, types of stones, wood, fossilized
materials, bone into beads and inlay.......there was also trade going on
where artisans would acquire materials to work.......coral from coastal
tribes traded to inland tribes far from the sea.
With all this fine work created, I'd imagine there would be treasured
and sacred objects made to be stored in beautifully stitched or other
types of hand decorated containers.

I have many books on textiles and beads.......it's late as it's five in
the morning or I'd look through the books for specific
references......books on the history of beads, textiles with hand
decoration would be interesting to check through.....also a well
illustrated magazine filled with all types of hiqh quality decorative
hand work, titled Ornament is an excellent resource for the information
you're asking about.

The three books I've listed are beautiful and fascinating books to read
with some of the information you might be looking for.

Beadwork a World Guide - Caroline Crabtree & Pam Stallebrass

The History of Beads - Lois Sherr Dubin

The Shining Cloth - Victoria Z Rivers
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old July 27th 03, 08:33 PM
Linn Skinner

I design and stitch amulets for friends. I was inspired to do so by The
Afghan Amulet. I believe a photo of one of them will be in an upcoming
issue Classic Stitches. It is a garden amulet full of light and dangling
crystals and gardening charms.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters

Old July 27th 03, 09:08 PM
MaryR

That is a great book. Have you read her other book "The
Linen Goddess?"

MaryR

Old July 28th 03, 04:04 AM
MaryR

I would love to meet her. She must really be something to
have taken off and done the travelling she did, all after
the age of 40 if I remember correctly. Does she ever come
to the USA to speak?

MaryR

Old July 28th 03, 06:23 AM
Linn Skinner

I don't believe she comes to the US - I have seen her at UK stitching shows.
She is a fascinating lady to chat with and dynamic as she sounds in her
books.