OT New Pot Study

Old July 1st 03, 03:55 AM
BeckiBead

Default OT New Pot Study

I know a lot, and I mean a lot, of reformed drug users. I am talking about
substances that may have been only pot, or way beyond pot so I am way off the
subject here. But the thing that amazed me in all of them was that every
single one of them had been sexually abused as a child. Way over 98%. Amazing
statistics. In every case, as has been mentioned, they had something to
forget. And in some cases, it took a lot of drugs to be able to forget what
had happened. Adding MORE mess to the mess that life already was for these
folks. A horrible cycle.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Old July 1st 03, 03:58 AM
BeckiBead

Glad I read and
responded to this; it's awakened some things in me that I had buried.

Kathy -- one of my favorite lines from Women Who Run With The Wolves (I'm
paraphrasing it here, and my memory is not all that good despite the lack of
pot in my life, LOL):

"You can tell the issues in a woman's life by the shadows that they leave."

Spiritual awakenings are good. They help push back the shadows, my dear.

Old July 1st 03, 04:45 AM
bluemaxx

The article wasn't just the small quote I included in my post,
Becki. This was a long-term neurological study. Also, the people
weren't tested **while** they were high.

It was a study done for trying to show the benfits of the use of
medicinal marijuana for cancer patients.

Unfortunately, since ATTBI changed over to COMCAST today, the
article and the tiny URL I provided isn't available anymore.

--
Linda

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
: No effect at all was seen on other functions, including reaction
: time, attention, language, reasoning ability, and perceptual and
: motor skills.
:
: Yeah, right. Tell that to my friend Kristy, who burned down her
living room
: because she didn't realize the candles had caught the bookshelves
on fire while
: she was smoking pot. Her functions appeared to be a bit impaired.
:
:

Old July 1st 03, 02:32 PM
Louis Cage

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
No effect at all was seen on other functions, including reaction
time, attention, language, reasoning ability, and perceptual and
motor skills.

Yeah, right. Tell that to my friend Kristy, who burned down her living

room
because she didn't realize the candles had caught the bookshelves on fire

while
she was smoking pot. Her functions appeared to be a bit impaired.

Becki

I've smoked a lot of weed in my day & never got that stoned (nor did any of
my friends).
When I got bored with it I quit. No side effects, no depression, nothing
negative.
I equate giving up pot with giving up milkshakes. There were times when I
would think, "I wouldn't mind having a joint", but then it passed just like
if I thought "I wouldn't mind having a milkshake right now."
My experience is just as anecdotal as the one you mentioned and neither one
can be used to draw generalized conclusions.

Old July 1st 03, 02:49 PM
laura

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Sad to say, but those statistics dont amaze me.
Thats why I advocate removing the conditions that lead to drug abuse

rather
than the drug themselves.

I could not agree more. It seems many kids are traumatized at young ages in
our society and then tossed out into a world that further traumatizes them
when they try to find ways to escape their pain.

Laura

Old July 1st 03, 03:39 PM
Diana Curtis

Sad to say, but those statistics dont amaze me.
Thats why I advocate removing the conditions that lead to drug abuse rather
than the drug themselves. I have no idea how to make that happen. Its
frustrating. No child should ever have to live with sexual abuse.... but I
dont know how to end the cycle, except for the ending the silence and shame
that usually leads the child to abuse of drugs.....its a start anyway.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 1st 03, 05:57 PM
Deirdre S.

I also recommend that you look for the audio tapes published by Sounds
True (your library may have them) where Estes herself tells some of
the stories from the book and elaborates on their implications.

I find that hearing people's voices adds a whole nother dimension to
their material, and she is a wonderful storyteller.

Deirdre

Old July 2nd 03, 05:55 AM
BeckiBead

Also, the people
weren't tested **while** they were high.

Linda -- I realized that later. After I had sent the post, of course.