Testing Fabric

Old October 20th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy from GA but wants to me in MO

Default Testing Fabric

I know that you can take a sample of fabric and burn it with a lighter
to determine what it is but I have forgotten what the end results are.

Anyone remember? Burns....it's NOT cotton.

HELP!!!!!

Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)
Old October 20th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

My memory is- cotton burns to a soft while ash and a soft burnt edge.
Blends melt as they burn, have a crispy, bumpy edge edge and smell more like
burning plastic.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 20th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

Also, burning cotton smells more like burning paper, wool like burning
hair. Also wool glows rather than burns with a flame like cotton does.

But I think distinguishing between for example different plant-based
fibres (cotton, linen, and what are the processed ones called?) with a
simple burn test is hard. I don't know how to do that. I guess the
same would apply for different kind of animal hair, but regular wool
is the most common in yardage, so maybe we don't need to worry about
that?

Hanne in DK

Old October 20th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

Look at:
http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

(darn it, my other post disappeared, but the link is better anyway!)

Old October 21st 10, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

what do you think you have?
cotton is easy to burn a small piece and results in a soft white ash.
no mistake'n it.
anything with poly fibres in it will blob up like a bit of plastic. ewwww.
no mistake'n that either.
burn some and see. i'll bet with some thinking you'll work out what is what
easier than you think.
j.

Old October 21st 10, 11:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Can see 2 posts from you.

Janner
France

wrote:
My memory is- cotton burns to a soft while ash and a soft burnt edge.
Blends melt as they burn, have a crispy, bumpy edge edge and smell more like
burning plastic.

Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

"Cindy from GA but wants to me in wrote in ...

Old October 21st 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:32:37 -0500, Cindy from GA but wants to me in MO wrote
(in article
):

I know that you can take a sample of fabric and burn it with a lighter
to determine what it is but I have forgotten what the end results are.

Anyone remember? Burns....it's NOT cotton.

HELP!!!!!

Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

I think if it burns, it is cotton. If it melts to a little blob it's poly.

Maureen

Old October 21st 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Just try it first with a HOT iron. (Maybe use a cotton press cloth to
keep melted poly off your sole plate.) The smell of a synthetic or
blend is unmistakable. You can try something that's labeled polyester
first, if you aren't sure. Also something you know is 100% cotton,
just to train the nose. And cotton burns to ash. Poly melts to a hard
blob (think glue gun). Blends....blend. Wool is the hardest to ignite,
which is why they tell you to wrap a person who has set himself on
fire in a wool blanket to stifle the flames.
Roberta in D

Old October 22nd 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Oct 21, 12:39*am, "J*" wrote:
what do you think you have?
cotton is easy to burn a small piece and results in a soft white ash.
no mistake'n it.
anything with poly fibres in it will blob up like a bit of plastic. ewwww..
no mistake'n that either.
burn some and see. i'll bet with some thinking you'll work out what is what
easier than you think.
j.

"Cindy from GA but wants to me in MO"wrote...
I know that you can take a sample of fabric and burn it with a lighter
to determine what it is but I have forgotten what the end results are.

Anyone remember? *Burns....it's NOT cotton.

HELP!!!!!

Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

Jeanne ~

I "think" I have cotton. My DD called me one day about a month ago
and told me that Wal-Mart had put out a bunch of bolts of fabric that
had somehow gotten stashed in the warehouse and would I like for her
to pick me up some. Sure - just make sure they are 100% cotton. She
did. I go back to STL about 3 weeks ago and they still have a ton of
it left. I go pick up some more. Certainly feels like cotton. I
brought it all back to GA to wash it and now it has a silky feel to
it. Never had that feeling before after I washed fabric.

Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)
Old October 22nd 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

This is a really good site. I had a happy aftrnoon checking all my
dubious fabrics and labelling them when I was doing my clearout. I
wish I had found this site, the one I used was a bit less helpful.
But I got there in the end. Do make sure you are in a well-ventilated
room, though. Some of the vapours given off by the mixtures are
taoxic, carcinogenic or just a right pong!

http://www.ditzyprints.com/dpburnchart.html

Hope this helps,
Nel
(GQ) and pyromaniac in training!

Just testing Shirley Shone Beads 5 April 15th 09 08:35 AM
Just testing Carey N. Yarn 4 November 24th 07 05:32 PM
testing Ellison Quilting 7 January 19th 04 06:07 PM
Testing Janner Quilting 5 January 15th 04 06:10 AM
[OT] testing, testing, 123 scaperchick Beads 3 August 4th 03 07:58 PM