OT electric space heaters

Old October 15th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT electric space heaters

I like a cool bedroom but not a chilly bathroom. Is there a rating system
for small electric space heaters (bathroom is about 12 ft. X 9 ft.) that
rates how energy efficient they are? Is one type of electric heater more
energy efficient than another? (This is for USA heaters and use, of
course.)

TIA!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 15th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

DD has a huge bathroom in her new house and has complained about the cold
bathroom. She has central heating and air but added a small heater (that
uses a fan)
last winter. She claimed that only created a draft. I think she is going
to try a radiant type heater this winter. I really don't think there are
very efficient space heaters.
I'll look forward to reading any good solutions too. How are the window
coverings coming along?
I like that you are getting so into this efficient ways to stay comfortable.
We just got back from a visit to out sons home in San Diego. Nice and warm
there but the dampness makes me hurt.
Taria

Old October 15th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Mr Esther has one for his 'on the north side of the house' bathroom. It is
ceramic, made by Holmes, came from WalMart, not expensive. DH says it is a
fine, safe heater and will drive you out if you don't keep the little heater
turned low. He says it uses less electricity than the old kind and puts out
more heat. ( How's that for technical?) Polly

Old October 15th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 14, 7:07*pm, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I like a cool bedroom but not a chilly bathroom. * Is there a rating system
for small electric space heaters (bathroom is about 12 ft. X 9 ft.) that
rates how energy efficient they are? * Is one type of electric heater more
energy efficient than another? * (This is for USA heaters and use, of
course.)

TIA!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

That's a bit of a nebulous question. Electric heaters are all pretty
close to 100% efficient (high 90s, anyway) as far as converting
electric energy into something else. The question is, what's the
something else? Those that just heat convert nearly all the energy
into heat, but the heat stays near the heater (or rises straight up).
Those with fans/blowers don't convert as much energy into heat because
some is used up to run the mecahnical fan, but the heat that is
generated gets distributed around (which can also make it seem like
less heat because it IS distributed throughout the volume of the room.

If you have forced air heat, one energy-saving tip is to leave the fan
running all the time - 24/7. This puts more of the heat used to heat
up the furnace and ducts into the living space, and reduces the highs
& lows between the furnace turning on (when it's cold) and off (when
it's hot). Believe it or don't it'll actually lower your overall
energy bill. Many new thermostats now come with that option (separate
blower control). Another advantage is that it helps take the place of
a blower in a space heater.

OTOH, if you have forced air, a cold room could also be an indication
that the system isn't balanced. There are dampers in the ducts and
registers, and they may need to be adjusted to keep all rooms evenly
warm, opening some up and restricting others.

All that said, heaters should be rated by BTU output (British Thermal
Units) which is a fancy term like watts to indicate how much heat it
puts out. The higher the number, the more heat (A-C units are rated
the same way.) Heaters are likely also given an energy star rating
indicating how *energy* efficient they are (which as noted earlier -
they're all pretty close, so the ratings should be pretty close in
similar size/functioning heaters). Thirdly, they're rated (or should
be) for the size room or cubic feet. Room sizes usually assume 7 - 8
ft ceilings; cubic feet will require a bit more math, but it's not
that big a deal.

FWIW, there's also such a beast as a heated seat, if that's your
preference.

12 x 9 is pretty big for a bathroom unless the house is new with a
huge master bath or something. Some bedrooms aren't that big, and I'd
guess the bathroom in question may have been converted from a bedroom
if the house is older. (but we all know I was wrong that one time...)
That big a room might warrant a wall or baseboard type supplemental
heater rather than a freestanding one. The first two are pricier, but
should last longer and heat better/more.

Wiki has a lot of articles on different types of heaters. Start with
"Heaters" for a list.

Old October 15th 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Oh goodness- this opens a whole can of worms. :-/ The master suite is a
13 X 50 single story addition with 8 ft. ceilings built perpendicular to a
90 y.o. long, narrow two story house with 10 ft. ceilings downstairs and 8
ft. ceilings upstairs. There are two large heat pumps and a second propane
fireplace in the main part of the house- one heat pump for the upstairs
(upstairs heat pump and bedrooms/bath are not used) and one for the
downstairs. But no heat or a/c in the master bedroom addition other than a
thermostatically controlled, unvented propane fireplace and a big window
a/c. Both are located about central along the longest wall in the master
bedroom.

The bath is across one end of the addition and the walk-in closet and
laundry room are side-by-side at the other end of the addition with the
bedroom in the middle. The fireplace heat just doesn't make it into the
bathroom, so I need an additional heat source. (I HATE getting out of a
warm shower or bath and facing a chilly bathroom. Ugh.) So, I'm looking
for some kind of suitable and reasonably energy efficient solution.

Any ideas, Doc?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 15th 10, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I don't want to tear up the ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor- I'd love it
if it was feasible.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 15th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

Years ago, when the bathroom was remodeled we put in a ceiling heater/vent
thingie from Home Depot. It has work well ever since. Feels good when it
is freezing out.

Nana....just a thought

Old October 15th 10, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

ah, sorry, didnt realize you had ceramic tiles down.
how about one of those 3 purpose ceiling things with lights, heater, 'suck
out the humidity' fan.
dont know what is available there. just thinking outloud.
j.

Old October 15th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:07:20 -0500, Leslie&
The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
I like a cool bedroom but not a chilly bathroom. Is there a rating system
for small electric space heaters (bathroom is about 12 ft. X 9 ft.) that
rates how energy efficient they are? Is one type of electric heater more
energy efficient than another? (This is for USA heaters and use, of
course.)

No, anything affordable for space is going to be electric
resistance heating of one flavor or another, and the
COP (coefficient of performance) of electrical resistance
heating is 1.0 You've got to get a little more exotic
(like Peltier junction heaters or heat pumps) to get
the COP over 1.

The trick is to match the way you want to use the heat
produced to the type of heater.

In and out in a few, don't mind doing a bit of
a dance to keep yourself from broiling or freezing?
My first choice would be one of the radiant heaters
like the Presto parabolic heaters. They focus the
heat where you aim it. In the few minutes it's on,
you can work up quite a sweat, but when you turn it
off when you leave, you haven't actually heated much
of the room, saving you $$$. The ceramic rod heaters
scare me less in a bathroom than the Presto type
heaters, fwiw.

Top part of you does ok with chill, but you really,
really hate cold feet? There are sealed heating mats
that can go under tile or just put them on top of
the floor. Leave them on a long time, and the whole
room gets warm, which may also be what you want.
Nice, even heat that, like all heat in rooms with
little air circulation, collects at the ceiling and
warms the guys upstairs instead of you.
Add a small fan pointed straight up and you get
the air moving and cut the power bills because you're
not heating the upstairs room, or the roof.
I don't find them useful in the short term because the
heat isn't "instant", but they're lovely luxuries
if you leave them on. Me, I guess I'm used to
slippers, but they're DH's holy grail of bathroom
heating. I keep threatening to get him a farrowing
mat from the farm store. g

Most of the fan heaters, like the old milkhouse heaters,
blow too much air around for a small bathroom, and
you get sort of a windchill effect going on... you really
need to match the fan size to the room and keep it
from blowing right on you.

Don't mind cold feet, but you really want your
back warm when you're cogitating on the state of the
world? Maybe the old heat lamp type heaters that
were common in motel bathrooms are more your style.
Again, you're only using them part of the time, so
the cost is lower compared to heating the entire
bathroom up so everything is warm.

Got little kids that you don't want getting burned or
kicking over a heater? Or just no room to put a
heater in? Then you might be looking at a baseboard
heater or one of those thin radiators that you stick
on the wall under the towel rack. Like the floor
heaters, they're best left on so the whole room heats
up. More of a cheapatarian than that? Take a look
at the oil filled "radiator" heaters -- you heat up the
oil in the radiator, it warms the room gently, worst
of the electrical dangers nicely enclosed, not a huge
footprint.

Just make sure that the heater you get is rated
for bathroom or wet area use, and properly connected.

OT Space Shuttle Kate T. Quilting 2 May 20th 09 11:07 PM
A gift of space for you Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 5 December 3rd 07 08:30 PM
VERY OT Water heaters without a tank Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 31 August 14th 07 03:25 AM
I'm Back from Space!!! She in PA Quilting 13 March 6th 06 11:31 PM
My sewing space Debra Quilting 3 October 10th 04 04:37 PM