another moebius question

Old January 13th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Walker Family[_2_]

Default another moebius question

It's not real easy from to see from photos, but I wondered why the
scarf is knitted in this manner. Wouldn't it also twist if you made a
rectangle and then twisted once before joining the two ends? (If you
have a rectangle and the top edges are a and the bottom is b, twist so
that you sew a to b.)

I've seen crochet patterns that do just that and wondered if the
knitting instructions are just for the joy of accomplishing something
rather difficult. I'm considering which style to do because they look
cozy and would stay in place on my upper body without having to keep
wrapping it like a shawl.

I have several T shaped shawls where the center goes down your back
and the two arms wrap in the usual way. I really like them also.

Does anyone wear the moebius under a coat for extra warmth and then
pull the edge up over their head? I wondered if that worked as well.
Thanks, Moni
Old January 13th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 13, 10:01*pm, Walker Family wrote:
[...]

* * * *---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ----http://www.pronews.comoffers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Hallo Moni !!!
The first knitted Moebious was made by Elizabeth Zimmerman,
see "Knitting Around", Schoolhouse, 1989. and indeed Mrs Zimmerman,
knitted a long rectangle and twisted one of the short ends semed it
invisibly and had a marvelous Moebious,
I am a long time One piece no seam knitter and at the time it Bugged ,
why this seam at all , i looked at the picture, got the idea and made
my first Crochet moebiuos in one piece starting in the middle !!!!!
once the core is made you can`t go wrong and you can go on knit/
crochet it as wide as you can/want !!!!
After i crocheted This one Ria from Belgium showed me how to knit from
the middle.
It seams more logical and looks better doing it seamless !!!!
It gives you more freedom of choice of patterns ,, It is closer to the
REAL Morphological idea of Moebious. I use my moebious [ have 2 for me
made over 10 for others !!!!] almost daily the whole winter !!! i wear
it as Shoulder Wrap , under or over coats , sweaters etc, i wear it as
hood with a neck scarf m i wear it as double high collar , and lately
wrapped it 3 times arounf my head as a funny hat .... It really is
Perfect , useful and lovely ,,,,
mirjam
Old January 14th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Walker Family wrote:
It's not real easy from to see from photos, but I wondered why the
scarf is knitted in this manner. Wouldn't it also twist if you made a
rectangle and then twisted once before joining the two ends? (If you
have a rectangle and the top edges are a and the bottom is b, twist so
that you sew a to b.)

I've seen crochet patterns that do just that and wondered if the
knitting instructions are just for the joy of accomplishing something
rather difficult. I'm considering which style to do because they look
cozy and would stay in place on my upper body without having to keep
wrapping it like a shawl.

There are some that do this, but knitting or crocheting from the center
out is fun to do. And you wouldn't believe how fast they go.

I have several T shaped shawls where the center goes down your back
and the two arms wrap in the usual way. I really like them also.

Does anyone wear the moebius under a coat for extra warmth and then
pull the edge up over their head? I wondered if that worked as well.
Thanks, Moni

Yes, like a cowl neck or hood. That works very well.

sue
Old January 14th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:01:37 -0600, Walker Family
wrote:

It's not real easy from to see from photos, but I wondered why the
scarf is knitted in this manner. Wouldn't it also twist if you made a
rectangle and then twisted once before joining the two ends? (If you
have a rectangle and the top edges are a and the bottom is b, twist so
that you sew a to b.)

Where's the challenge in that? Yes, you can get a Moebius scarf that
way. It's not a new idea, either; Elizabeth Zimmerman knitted Moebius
scarves that way. Doing it Cat Bordhi's way is more challenging. It
also produces a more "reversible" scarf and it's more fun than
knitting a rectangular scarf and sewing the ends together.

What the people I knit Moebius scarves for like about them is that
they lie flat under a coat when only one layer around the neck is
required and that they can be wrapped around twice when it's colder.

Mary "At least, that's my opinion about it, having knitted all those
short little scarf rows too often"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my new blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old January 14th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

--
Mary Shafer * Retired aerospace research engineer
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my new blog athttp://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/* *

Another, important to me matter is how easy it is to carry with me, i
knit crochet mine , on busses , trains etc when i do my traveling to
other parts of the city, wait in lines [banks doctor etc,,,] they stay
close to me , i can`t loose the needles , The only `problem` i have is
people enquiring about the `mistake` in the circle when i crochet or
the worry about the Bundle [is is a bird`s nest`?] when i knit it ,,,
once a woman came to me , very empathicly she touched my shoulder and
said ;" it happened to me as well, when i was confused ?" took me
several moments to realize she thought i made a very stupid looking
thing !!! when i knitted them with one color it was worse , now that i
add several colors , it seams to look more clear, or at least they
think i still got some brains !!!!
mirjam
Old January 14th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

OMG Mirjam
that is so funny, lol, it does look a bit like a birds nest doesn't it?
lol.

well you can make lovely things with your ''mistakes''' lol

higz Cher
Snip

Old January 14th 08, 11:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 14, 10:58*am, "Y?" wrote:
OMG Mirjam
that is so funny, lol, *it does look a bit like a birds nest doesn't it?
lol.

well you can make lovely things with your ''mistakes''' lol

higz CherSnip

now that i
add several colors , it seams to look more clear, or at least they
think i still got some brains !!!!
mirjam

The Funniset bit is Cher , that until i made it with colors [ hence it
was more clear what it was!] it never occured to me that the
monochromatic one looked like a bird`s nest in the good case or `
mixed up weird mistaken knitting ,,,
The many many people who asked me What i was Doing [in Israel people
do talk in public places ] and my explanations , showed me that one
can make interest for crafts.
mirjam
Old January 14th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Walker Family" wrote in message
It's not real easy from to see from photos,

er - what photoes are they?

:-)

Mary
(Yorkshire, England)

Old January 14th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

Oh I can imagine Mirjam, lol. I used to knit at the doctors when the
children had to go for one thing or another, now us UK'ers don't do enough
knitting in public, although one of my friends takes a spinning wheel and
other friends with their wheels onto an old steam train and travels from
Dorset to Devon on it, inviting all who enter to come and try too...LOL

Then they all climb to the top of Corfe Castle in Dorset, wheels and all,
huge hill, and spin for the visitors...then they have a knitting time in
public, where they all sit knitting shawls, and call it the Shawl Retreat...

Great fun...higz cher

Another Moebius Bernadette Yarn 6 April 1st 07 07:34 AM
Knitting a moebius. Bernadette Yarn 59 February 26th 07 10:48 PM
Moebius pictures Bernadette Yarn 11 February 25th 07 10:21 PM
The Original Moebius [email protected] Yarn 13 June 30th 06 07:25 AM
moebius? Karen in MN Yarn 19 August 24th 04 08:35 PM