moebious as lovely as ever

Old January 9th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Default moebious as lovely as everMirjam

Spike Driver wrote:
Mirjam,

I made a small one for a 5 year old, she loved it. I did the basket
weave. It called for "knit every row" and I wanted to do something
different. I did the basket weave pattern out of my head, it turned out
nice.

That's what I did on the first couple I made - k6, p6 for 6 rounds, then
reverse - p6, k6 for 6. Since I was using Lion's Homespun anyway, that
worked the best.

sue
Old January 10th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default moebious as lovely as ever

On Jan 8, 8:16*pm, suzee wrote:
suzee wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:57 am, suzee wrote:
Y? wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
eadfreenews.net...
Y? wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
.readfreenews.net...
Y? wrote:
Hi Mirjam
yes this is what I am doing, using another circ so that I can knit a
few stitches, then transferring them onto the working circular...takes
a couple of rounds before I can get going...lol.
I did try casting on with waste yarn and then knitting a round with the
main yarn, and picking up the main loop from the waste yarn, on the
next bottom round, but that was as bad.. transferring is alot easier..
I do cast on loosely too, so I think it's the main tipped bits that are
too long..
Why transfer the sts? Just continue using the 2nd circular, it works a
lot better.
OK *thnx Suzee *wondered if you could transfer from one circ to
another one half way through it...
higz cher
When I first did some, I didn't know Cat Bordhi's Moebius CO, so just
picked up stitches from the `bottom' of a regular CO and it was hard
going. I used a 2nd cir for that 2nd half and for several more rounds and
then just used one. However, later on, when I wanted to see how big it was
getting and how it was turning out, I knit with the 2nd one again. If you
have the same size, no need to transfer stitches, just knit with the other
one too.
* Hi Suzee, I think I see what you mean, do you mean so that you then
have two circs going into one scarf

* higz Cher

Yep, you knit halfway around with one, then take the tail of the left
hand needle and start knitting with it, until the stitches are gone from
it, then repeat. Have you never done knitting with 2 circulars before?

sue- Hide quoted text -

Went top look at this Very nice site you posted with the great pics on
how to make a Moebious , but i still don`t see the point in the Waste
thread ???? also , having made a few moebiouses over time i don`t see
where she casts on the other side`s stitches ,,,,But i think people
sjould try and see which method works for them ,,,,,,mirjam

Sorry I didn't look at it closely. There is no point in using waste
yarn, just start with the yarn you're going to knit the whole piece
with. I use the cord of the circular instead of waste yarn. By dipping
the right needle back and forth over the cord, you pick up yarn that
ends up wrapped around the cord. You don't have to cast on the `other
side', they're all there. After you have your stitches on, then you
begin knitting; some of the stitches will be seated the `correct' way,
some will have the back leg in front. Knit them all in the front leg and
by the time you've got the first round done, they make a moebius. It
does sorta work like magic...

Here's a video clip of how you do the Cast on - runs on Windows media
player -http://www.stanford.edu/group/knitwit/MVI_mobieus1.AVI

sue- Hide quoted text -

Sue and All
after trying this cast on a cord , i think i stick to my `older` way
which works so neatly for me .....
as i feel we all can do what fits us ,,, i will go on exploring new
patterns for use on the moebious , but i feel better knitting on my
stitiches ..
mirjam
Old January 10th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jan 8, 9:24*pm, "Y?" wrote:
ok the co is easy enough, so you end up with the cord of the circ inside or
alongside the needle you've been pivoting with.......where do you go next, I
mean that isn't going around in a spiral yet, so now once the cast on is
complete and I've got say 400 stitches on the needle and now squashed
cord...which way do you go next and how???? lol

higz chersnip

Here's a video clip of how you do the Cast on - runs on Windows media
player -http://www.stanford.edu/group/knitwit/MVI_mobieus1.AVI

sue

This were EXACTLY my questions Cher ????
mirjam
Old January 10th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

wrote:
On Jan 8, 8:16 pm, suzee wrote:
suzee wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 8, 5:57 am, suzee wrote:
Y? wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Y? wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Y? wrote:
[...]

That's fine. We all do what works best for us, and that's usually what
we're familiar with.

sue
Old January 10th 08, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

I know...funny trying to work it out via text isn't it? I can do the cast
on itself, that's easy enough, I end up with a zig zag thread woven around
both needle and cord bit, so the cord is trapped now up against the
needle...so do I knit back from the original needle point, or do I go to the
back or where I started the zig zag co to knit along the first
round...confusia he say...lol

higz Cher

Old January 10th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Y? wrote:
I know...funny trying to work it out via text isn't it? I can do the cast
on itself, that's easy enough, I end up with a zig zag thread woven around
both needle and cord bit, so the cord is trapped now up against the
needle...so do I knit back from the original needle point, or do I go to the
back or where I started the zig zag co to knit along the first
round...confusia he say...lol

The 2nd needle tip with the slip knot should have come around again as
you cast on. Knit the slip knot then each zig or zag as you come to them.

sue
Old January 10th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

Missed something then, cos it's now in a straight line, need to pull more
of the cord through to bring the other point up then...lol

higz Cher
"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Old January 10th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Y? wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Y? wrote:
I know...funny trying to work it out via text isn't it? I can do the
cast on itself, that's easy enough, I end up with a zig zag thread woven
around both needle and cord bit, so the cord is trapped now up against
the needle...so do I knit back from the original needle point, or do I go
to the back or where I started the zig zag co to knit along the first
round...confusia he say...lol

The 2nd needle tip with the slip knot should have come around again as you
cast on. Knit the slip knot then each zig or zag as you come to them.

Missed something then, cos it's now in a straight line, need to pull

more
of the cord through to bring the other point up then...lol

O dear. Here's how you start - put the slip knot on the left needle and
slide it back down on the cord a couple inches. Lay the circ down on the
table in a circle with the two tips pointing at each other. Then move
the left tip so it overlaps the right one and keep going a bit past the
right tip so it's now a loose coil. Pick up the right needle with the
cord from the left side and let the other tip dangle. Now begin the tip
picking up stitches, zigging and zagging the yarn around the cord. The
coil will fill up and you'll come around again to that other tip and
your slip knot and start working the first round.

sue
Old January 10th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Y?

right copying this off to try...lol higz cher

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Y? wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Old January 11th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

suzee wrote:
Spike Driver wrote:
Mirjam,

I made a small one for a 5 year old, she loved it. I did the basket
weave. It called for "knit every row" and I wanted to do something
different. I did the basket weave pattern out of my head, it turned
out nice.

That's what I did on the first couple I made - k6, p6 for 6 rounds, then
reverse - p6, k6 for 6. Since I was using Lion's Homespun anyway, that
worked the best.

sue

Yes Sue I did 5 wide by 7 rows, it looked better than seed stitch.

Now I could crochet one with out a pattern. Once you do one it is very
simple.

Thanks for the post.
Dennis

Moebious Chapala Cheryl Yarn 9 March 22nd 07 05:50 PM
a *moebious* thread Carol In WI Yarn 1 March 18th 07 02:34 AM
Moebious done! Hurray!! Aud Yarn 5 February 12th 07 05:41 AM
Moebious Why and my method Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 0 January 24th 06 10:14 PM
Moebious hat ,,instructions Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 14 November 23rd 05 11:14 PM