quilt commission

Old June 15th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default quilt commission

I was over in our local small town library today using my laptop to
test out the wifi capability and I was talking to the head librarian
and she asked to see my new computer. I started showing her the
computer, and pulled up my web-shots site with my quilts and she was
very interested. She was particularly taken with the "quilt from hell"
and so I said I would go and get it and bring it over and show it to
her. I also brought over a top that I and doing that is a work in
progress that is made of the same fabric squares but in a "Trip around
the world" pattern. She was so enthused she asked if I would be
willing to do a panel for a space above the computer area in the same
"quilt from hell" style. It would be a horizontal panel about 3" high
x about 8" long. I was very flattered and said I would consider it.
Now I have to decide if I want to use up all of the leftover pieces
that I still have and that I was going to use for a third quilt in the
series I was planning. I think I will do it as the library is a
wonderful resource for this town and we do a lot of stuff for them
already. I don't know if there is much money involved but that is not
important to me at this point. Just the fact that she asked was a
great big ego stroke. There are already some lovely quilts on the
walls, so it was quite a compliment to me that she asked. I think I
will hang it from a large dowel within a sleeve, on the back side,
that is supported at each end by wooden angle supports what hold the
quilt out from the wall a couple of inches. It will be above the
height that anybody can come into contact with it so it should not
become worn from human contact. I just thought I would share my
excitement with all of you. I will let you know what the outcome is
and if completed, I will post pictures.

John

Old June 15th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Congratulations John. I'm sure you deserve this commission.Could you not get
different fabric for this ,or, did she particularly want those colours?
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
ups.com...

Old June 15th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well done, John. What a nice thing to have happened.
Of course you must do it. You will be contributing to posterity!
Though, you can come to me or Marcella for advice, if it really is as
small as you say: 3" x 8" g
If you are going to suggest hanging it from a dowel in a sleeve at the
top, it might be a good idea to use curtain weights along the bottom -
within the binding of that side.
Congratulations!
..
In message . com, John
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 15th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jun 15, 5:27 pm, Patti wrote:
Well done, John. What a nice thing to have happened.
Of course you must do it. You will be contributing to posterity!
Though, you can come to me or Marcella for advice, if it really is as
small as you say: 3" x 8" g
If you are going to suggest hanging it from a dowel in a sleeve at the
top, it might be a good idea to use curtain weights along the bottom -
within the binding of that side.
Congratulations!
.
In message . com, John
writes

[...]

My Bad. That should read 3 Feet High x 8 feet long. I am still trying
to get used to this smaller keyboard and in my excitement I hit the
inch rather than the feet. I have a large amount of the color squares
already available and she was quite taken with the look of the quilt I
showed her. It would be a godsend to finally get rid of these squares
and if I could have something up on permanent display so much the
better. I had concidered the curtain weight idea already. Probably a
chain sewn into a sleave along the lower edge. That should provide
enough gravity to make the whole thing lay flat. I have used that
system on other things I have done, like Needlepoint and curtains, and
it does seem to work. She even offered to buy the original Quilt from
Hell from me but I declined as that took so much out of me I don't
think I could put a price on it if I had to. It is really exciting to
think that this will come to pass and might lead to further inquires
as it will be up with a small sign with my name and contact
information. The future looks promising.

John

Old June 15th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Wow! How nice of you to do this!
Barbara in SC

Old June 16th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

John, how wonderful and what a great opportunity. What colors and
types of fabrics are you using? And, if you aren't in the directory,
pray what is your snail mail address? BG I'd appreciate that
information in an email if you would be so kind.

Sunny

Old June 16th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
John wrote:

[...]

That really is exciting, John! Congratulations!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) embarqmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)
Old June 16th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:37:14 -0700, John
wrote:

She was so enthused she asked if I would be
willing to do a panel for a space above the computer area in the same
"quilt from hell" style. It would be a horizontal panel about 3" high
x about 8" long. I was very flattered and said I would consider it.
Now I have to decide if I want to use up all of the leftover pieces
that I still have and that I was going to use for a third quilt in the
series I was planning. I think I will do it as the library is a
wonderful resource for this town and we do a lot of stuff for them
already.

How wonderful! It would be very neat to go into the library and see
your work hanging there!

A piece of textile art I made was part of a display at our library
once ... I kept going and getting more books so I could look at it.
That was in Columbus Ohio, when they had a lot of community
contribution things to celebrate 500 years of Christopher Columbus.

Louise in eastern Ontario
Old June 16th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann Hilyard

Congratulations in advance, John.
Quilts + libraries = good!

Nann
Official Librarian of RCTQ

ups.com...

COMMISSION RR Jewelry 6 June 6th 07 06:26 AM
Still mostly out of commission (Some beady content) Kathy N-V Beads 3 January 29th 05 11:04 PM
Piggie gots a commission.... Listpig Quilting 11 October 26th 04 08:05 PM
only one more commission left Beadbimbo Beads 4 May 26th 04 07:01 PM
speaking of commission quilts Marijke Quilting 1 February 5th 04 12:00 PM