Piecing and applique in the same block

Old May 29th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Piecing and applique in the same block

I was talking to a lady in the hall of my gramma's apartment building
while waiting for her to come back from walking the dog. We got around
to quilting (because she talks to my gramma too (G)), and of course
she had to tell me all her favorite blocks, and then bemoan modern
quilters. By gosh we have machines that do everything for us, and
fancy rulers, and fancy cutters, and we wouldn't know how to make a
block just from looking at a quilt if we had to! I was very good I
was.
Then she got on to how we modern women even mix up techniques in the
same blocks. Well that didn't do. So I reminded her of dresden plate
and she had to concede that one. But then I pointed up Grandmother's
Engagment Ring, and had to switch names to Whig Defeat since on her
planet Grandmother's Engagement Ring is a Dresden Plate with every
other scallop flattened. (By this point we were in gramma's house and
gramma was making coffee and grinning) She was bound that Whig Defeat
is all appliqued. We ended up agreeing to disagree and a splendid
time was had by all.

So, in a Whig Defeat block do you do all applique, or do as I do and
piece the fans with their diamond border, piece those to the
background and then applique the scallops (or flourish of your
choice)? I have never done a full on quilt from it.

http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdep...isy/lotus.html
http://www.suzannequilts.com/heart.html
http://www.textileheritage.org/news/...gtonmuseum.htm

NightMist
Gramma is always walking the dog when I get there. My timing is so
good!
--
Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Old May 29th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

"So, in a Whig Defeat block do you do all applique, or do as I do and
piece the fans with their diamond border,
piece those to the background and then applique the scallops (or
flourish of your choice)?" -- Nightmist asks.

Well, when confronted by a block such as Whig Defeat, I typically fill
my mouth with chocolate and hold my head
under running water until the urge to even think about making one
passes. That's how I handle that one.

(wink, wink)
Sunny

Old May 30th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"NightMist" wrote in message
So, in a Whig Defeat block do you do all applique, or do as I do and
piece the fans with their diamond border, piece those to the
background and then applique the scallops (or flourish of your
choice)? I have never done a full on quilt from it.

Definitely not my style of quilt, but if I had to make one, I'd paper piece
the fans, and piece then them into the background. I can do the curved
piecing MUCH faster than I can do the appliqué.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old May 30th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

i'm with you Sunny.
i'll pass on that water'n my head tho, its nearly winter here and a wee bit
cool for that activity.
pass the chocolate, please.
gobble gobble,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sunny"wrote ...

Old May 30th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

I always think back to my Nana when I hear these elderly women make
broad statements like "I never use white , yellow, or what ever in my
quilts" with the wrinkled nose.....or "I only hand piece" or "I only
hand quilt", She would roll her eyes.....she was the first in her
family to have a sewing machine, a mixmaster, or whatever time/labor
saving device....She would scoff at people who could but did nto cook,
sew or whatever....since you have all these wonderful products and
tools why you would not enjoy these once intensely laborous
chores.....Not only that, she would NEVER have thought to criticize
another woman endeavoring to keep up these homey crafts.....Just
different people. In her own way always a cheerleader for the younger
generation. Empowering woman.
She was also of the school, "good enough that you can't see it on a
trotting horse going by!"

Back to Whig's defeat, I think chocolate would work or potato chips or
magarita, Your sedative of choice until the desire passed LOL

Mauvice in Central WI originally from ILL. farm country

Old May 30th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Pretty! I like the 2nd example best. I'd definitely piece as much as
possible before resorting to applique.
Roberta in D

Old May 30th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

This particular elderly lady was a wee bit of a technophobe I think.
For example she said she never had a TV until after her last husband
died and her grandson bought her a TV to keep her company.
She said she never had sewing machine. She mentioned that "this young
woman here" (meaning my gramma who turned 89 last month) said that she
had had machines most of her life and that they sewed just fine, but
that for herself she just didn't see how a machine could possibly do
it _properly_. By gosh she is an opinionated old biddy! I just adored
her.

So far as blocks, I have been trying to think of anymore that call for
both piecing and applique in the same block. I can think of but two
more, and on one of those it would be wholely optional. Darned if I
can think of proper names for them though.

There is the one that is the middle part of the rings on a double
wedding ring, with ovals (again as for a DWR) set into the curves and
then a cresent set over the ovals, and another oval coming off the
spots where the points of the crescents meet. This is the one where
applique would be optional.

Then there is the one (called blue something I think) where it is
naught but a nine patch in each corner, a nine patch on point in the
middle, and scallops or a fleur de lis comining off the points of the
center nine patch.

Maybe I need a margarita just to shake the chinkers in my brain loose.
It would likely have the side effect of keeping me from starting a
monster project I couldn't possibly finish in under 5 years what with
everything else I have going on!

NightMist
prone to terrifying urges to sew examples of what she is talking about

Old May 30th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
(NightMist) wrote:

So far as blocks, I have been trying to think of anymore that call for
both piecing and applique in the same block.

How about the honeybee block?

marcella
Old May 30th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:03:42 -0700, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

"NightMist" wrote in message
So, in a Whig Defeat block do you do all applique, or do as I do and
piece the fans with their diamond border, piece those to the
background and then applique the scallops (or flourish of your
choice)? I have never done a full on quilt from it.

Definitely not my style of quilt, but if I had to make one, I'd paper piece
the fans, and piece then them into the background. I can do the curved
piecing MUCH faster than I can do the appliqué.

It's not totally my style of thing either, but that is more to do with
the block layout.

I am a complete sucker for things like fan blocks in fanciful
settings, and those chains of diamonds are the kind of thing that
sucks me in just to see if I can do it consistantly.

I did once see a really similar type of thing labled as a wedding ring
variation. The fans were joined into circles, and the diamonds were
done so as to interweave around those circles. Not lapping like a
DWR, just touching enough via a joining piece that you got the visual
of the diamonds marching around the circles in a continuous band. I
think I have seen exactly one mention of the pattern since, and that
join between circles had no mention.

NightMist
--
Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Old May 30th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On 29 May 2007 15:29:32 -0700, Sunny wrote:

"So, in a Whig Defeat block do you do all applique, or do as I do and
piece the fans with their diamond border,
piece those to the background and then applique the scallops (or
flourish of your choice)?" -- Nightmist asks.

Well, when confronted by a block such as Whig Defeat, I typically fill
my mouth with chocolate and hold my head
under running water until the urge to even think about making one
passes. That's how I handle that one.

(wink, wink)

solemn and pompous

There is much benefit to be had in such an approach.
It would keep one's hair thick, and one's complexion clear of
unsightly frown lines.
One's cats, children, and spouse would very likely approve of such an
approach.

solemn and pompous

NightMist
--