QI, Claws and Quilts

Old May 29th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default QI, Claws and Quilts

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:45:04 -0500, "dogmom"
wrote:

Tomorrow Bo, our neutered cat, is fixin' to lose his front claws. DH and I
are very reluctant to do this, but we see no options. He is strictly indoors
since we got tired of other QI's whom we loved turning into coyote chow (one
of the hazards of living in the country). We've tried various scratching
toys/posts with lots of fresh catnip, tried trimming his nails every few
weeks, shot him with water pistols every time we've caught him clawing--but
he still does it. We can't watch him 24/7. I am frankly pleased that DH
loves my quilts enough to sacrifice Bo's front claws for them. If we don't
declaw him, I said, we'll sleep under slabs of denim and I'll give all my
future quilts away. Not acceptable, said DH. Good, I say to myself.

We totally trust our vet--I used to work for her and in fact she gave us the
cat--so that's some comfort. She did say that in mature cats (he was a stray
but probably about 2 years old) they may, rarely, retaliate by turning the
whole house into a litter box. We will hope not!

Any of y'all had this problem and if so, what did you do?

I feel for you.
We have a door frame where on one side our cats have clawed clear
through the wood and into the plaster.
We have done just about everything you have, with about the same
results.
Even clipping their claws doesn't help, they just claw all the more
franticly.
The one thing we have found that has significantly reduced the amount
of doorframe damage is that cheap SuperScratcher thing. The one that
is just a box full of corugated cardboard on edge. All of them love
the thing. Even Stripey who was declawed well before she came to live
here sharpens her non-existant claws on one of those. None of them
would so much as glance at regular carpet or sisal scratching posts.
They still attack the doorframe, but not near so often. They also are
much less determined about it, a sharp word and they quit.

I am going to have to try spraying the doorframes with orange stuff
after reading the responses you have gotten.

NightMist
--
Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Old May 29th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 28, 3:45 pm, "dogmom" wrote:
[...]

Dogmom

I wanted to offer a link that's on the subject that's pretty good,
because it offers alternative
solutions to declaw, and kind of an insight into the psychology of
scratching.
http://www.catscratching.com/

Sherry

Old May 29th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Very interesting; the doctor confirms my own private theories about claws.
Dora is a good kitty and she uses her scratching posts almost exclusively.
Kay-Cee (my mother's cat) prefers furniture. Mom had Kay-Cee declawed when
she was very young, against my advice, but I must admit the operation has
had no visible effects other than preservation of furniture. Kay-Cee still
jumps to the top of the china cabinet, threads her way through the
knick-knacks on the window sills, and plays enthusiastically with her toys.
As for affecting her balance and general health, I believe she displays no
signs of discomfort and she uses her litter box faithfully.

That said, I still would not have Dora declawed under any circumstances.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Sherry" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old May 29th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Dogs are hard enough. Kitties just present too many problems for me
ever to consider having one for a pet. It's sad; they're so beautiful.
But at least my dogs will "perform" for a bit of food. A kitty would
just look at the delicious tidbit between my fingers and make a rude
gesture in my general direction. Good luck, dogmom..... And Bo. Sounds
like you'll both need it.

Sunny

Old May 29th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dannielle

On May 28, 4:45 pm, "dogmom" wrote:
[...]

Dogmom,

I will give you a bit of advice....after declawing a cat, it is
extremely helpful to use shredded newspaper or something else soft in
their litter box! It will help them to keep from infection by getting
bits of litter in their claw holes and makes things much softer for
their tender paws. This should help greatly with the littering
issue! Ask your vet how long it takes the paws to heal and use the
paper a few weeks longer, then slowly transition back to your regular
litter. You might have to change the box more often as well, a couple
of times a day....but it will be worth it!

Whatever your decision, just remember to love your kitty lots and
lots!

Good luck!

Dannielle

Old May 29th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

DogMom,

I love cats but I am allergic to cats. Our cat Dini, was only 6 weeks
old when my husband and children found her hidden under my car. We
brought her to all the neighbors but no one claimed her. Even though
I was allergic, I found ways to keep her. I wanted our children to
have a pet to love and take care of. I thought it was a GREAT
experience for them. I take allergy meds, have air cleaners in three
rooms, the wall to wall carpeting has been replaced by hardwood floors
and no animals are allowed in my bedroom. Dini loved to scratch. She
tore up two chairs and a sofa. I had multiple scratching post/
devices, nail clippers, spray water bottle, we even tried those
ridicules rubber things that you glue to the cats nails (they were all
off in two days time). The vet did not want to de-claw her. One day,
Dini was playing around, she was about two years old. She jumped on
my slipper as I was walking past her and she scratched my leg. A very
small scratch. I didn't think anything of it. I went to bed and woke
up with a red bumpy rash, head to toe. Went to the doc, went on three
different meds as well as an EPI pen, in case I went into anaphylactic
shock. I took Dini back to the vets and she de-clawed Dini right
away. Dini is now 10 years old. NEVER had a problem with the cat
box. She NEVER acted like she was in ANY discomfort. Always has a
WONDERFUL appetite. She just stopped ripping everything. She still
jumps up on the windowsill to inspect the yard. She's still the QUEEN
of the house and well loved.

Good Luck with your kitty,
SandyFromNJ

Old May 29th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Sunny wrote:
Dogs are hard enough. Kitties just present too many problems for me
ever to consider having one for a pet. It's sad; they're so beautiful.
But at least my dogs will "perform" for a bit of food. A kitty would
just look at the delicious tidbit between my fingers and make a rude
gesture in my general direction. Good luck, dogmom..... And Bo. Sounds
like you'll both need it.

Sunny

This makes me smile because you have never met any of my Babies! I
will admit that Cassie (Baby Cat) would never lower herself to "perform"
for *anything* -- but then she IS a Himalayan! She will come to the top
of the stairs if you call for her -- eventually she come down the stairs
but waits just long enough so that it doesn't appear that she is coming
when called -- LOLOL. Reno (Black Cat), OTOH, is just your standard
garden variety medium hair black cat and will stand on her hind legs and
meow when told to ask nicely for a treat :-).
My first Himalayan, Patches (she was tortie point) was a real
performer. She would speak when told to and had a large vocabulary --
different meow when I said different things. When told to, she would
stand up on her hind legs, sit, go around in circles **always** came
when called, etc. She loved to have DD dress her up in doll clothes and
put her in the doll carriage. Then she would let DD walk all around the
house and yard while she sat there looking out!
I think the difference is that we got Patches as a young kitten and
Reno & Cassie were adult rescue kitties. Cats are every bit as
trainable as dogs IF you have a cat with a pleasant, amenable
temperament. People don't try to train their cats the way they do their
dogs but that's OK. Gives those kitties more time to lay around and
look pretty :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old May 29th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

I found that the problems I do have with doona covers and the like are
caused when the cats get a bit purry and excited and give us a massage!!!
Their claws tend to stick.

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
quicker)
"Taria" wrote in message
If it is an inside only cat (due to coyotes in the 'hood)
this particular cat probably won't scratch outside.
I am here almost all the time and deal with most animal
stuff pretty quick. My 2 inside only cats scratch mostly
on the big carpet cat scratcher and the cardboard throw away
types that are all over the house. I say mostly because they
do scratch on other stuff. Lilly loves the expensive Lazy boy
chair and so they continue to match, the ottoman also. Maki
live on the back of the couch mostly and a hunk of thick fleece
tossed there has saved the couch. I just appliquéd bee's over
a quilt on my bed that Maki has torn in a few places. He
was little when he did it and my later quilts have been fairly
safe. I do keep their nails short and that helps a lot. I do use
the citrus spray and that helps a lot. There just is a certain
amount of damage that these darned things will do. Part of the
expense of them owning us I guess. I would rather deal with
scratches than litter box issues myself.
Taria

CATS wrote:
I am also a life member of the Animal Welfare League and have therefore
associated with "animal types" for years as well as having a constant
feline live-in population of 2 to 6 cats at any one time (currently 3,
with 2 "wannabe" visitors).

And I am also absolutely against declawing. I try to maintain a
non-emotional response to those considering this action to save their
furniture as I feel everyone must make decisions they can live with. But
sadly this procedure can result in lifetime discomfort/pain for the cat,
and his reaction may leave you worse off. All my cats are adopted strays
or rescues (who might reasonably be expected to have behavioural
problems) and all have been taught not to scratch (or fight or spray or
toilet) in the house. It is a matter of establishing territorial
boundaries. Inside the house is MINE, outside the house is THEIRS. If
you truly have an incorigible scratcher I would suggest that there is
some as-yet-unidentified reason that triggers this behaviour.

If you truly cannot live with the cat's behaviour is there any chance of
rehoming him? Perhaps cats are not the perfect animal companions in your
household, and you need to consider an alternative.

Old May 30th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 29 May 2007 08:57:18 -0700, Sunny wrote:

Dogs are hard enough. Kitties just present too many problems for me
ever to consider having one for a pet. It's sad; they're so beautiful.
But at least my dogs will "perform" for a bit of food. A kitty would
just look at the delicious tidbit between my fingers and make a rude
gesture in my general direction. Good luck, dogmom..... And Bo. Sounds
like you'll both need it.

Sunny

Samson will sit up and beg for a treat, just like a dog.

Cat's have different body language from dogs and until you learn it
you will never understand them.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 30th 07, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

I hope you didn't do it. All you needed was to spray some Feliway on
things you didn't want scratched.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

first pieced quilts (tshirt quilts) Janet Crenshaw Quilting 7 March 20th 06 12:44 PM
Drilling claws? Dreamstalker Jewelry 0 May 2nd 04 07:20 PM
Notes with Quilts was Theme quilts for babies was My new stash Joan8904 Quilting 1 January 30th 04 01:48 AM
Operation Homefront Quilts - Quilts Needed Diane Keagy Quilting 2 January 23rd 04 05:44 AM
Stiff lobster claws Christina Peterson Beads 12 September 4th 03 09:38 PM