frog hunt

Old August 15th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default OT frog hunt

We have frogs in our pond, but only in spring and early summer. The rest of
the year, they hang out in shady wooded areas and hibernate under many
layers of leaves. Since frogs are protected, the town puts out frog warning
signs along woodsy roads at this time of year. Are there frogs that actually
stay put in or around a pond? AFAIK, tadpoles are only once a year. They
turn into teensy frogs around the end of June (here at least) and begin
their dangerous migration back to the bush. I know some of them go no
farther than the shady end of the garden, because I turned over one that was
still asleep back in the middle of March, while cleaning out some brush. Our
garden is a bit wild.
Roberta in D

"DrQuilter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oh, dont worry, I want locally grown, organic and approved frogs... it is
a little black plastic pond, maybe 4 feet across, 2 wide and 2 deep (with
a higher shelf). tadpoles would work best. sofi would love them! are the
only born one a year?

I did some research and found out two reccomended places in seattle: a
vietnamese grocery store (which apparently also has live turtles!) and
lake washington )

Bonnie NJ wrote:
I'd send them to you, but I don't think they'd arrive in good condition
;-) How big is your pond? I don't think bullfrogs are allowed in your
state.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old August 17th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter

Sorry, I meant once a year, I'll find them only in the spring then? It's
this stupid keyboard in which several keys dont work, so I have to go
back and fill some letters in afterwards with copy an paste (edcy at the
moment). A true PITA! (I am a biologist so I know the part of how frog
eggs are laid, but not the timing in this foreign land! ).

Bonnie NJ wrote:
Most tadpoles develop into frogs within one year. Bullfrogs take two years.
If you find toad tadpoles they develop very quickly, within weeks.
Toad eggs are layed in a string and frog eggs are layed in a mass - you'll
be able to tell the difference in the Spring if you happen to find them in
your pond.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old August 17th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie NJ

Default frog hunt

I'm sorry to reply was to all, not you specifically. I was only trying to
help. I know you have a doctorate, but I didn't know what field.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old August 18th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter

just in case, I wasn't offended or anything... I actually thought it was
funny how missing one letter totally changed the meaning of my question!

my phd is in molecular biology, & it has been a loooong time since I
took regular biology/zoology anyway....

Bonnie NJ wrote:
I'm sorry to reply was to all, not you specifically. I was only trying to
help. I know you have a doctorate, but I didn't know what field.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Frog patterns anyone? Donna McIntosh Needlework 10 September 9th 04 06:45 PM
Jaychantell Easter Bead Hunt Comming soon!! alex Beads 7 February 29th 04 05:01 PM
One Ugly Frog Royce Quilting 1 July 19th 03 10:32 PM
One Ugly Frog Royce Quilting 0 July 19th 03 10:16 PM