OT New Pot Study

Old July 2nd 03, 05:57 AM
BeckiBead

Also, I feel real inclined here to post that there is a difference between
people who use drugs, and having a "drug problem." There really is. There
really is recreational drug use. That was not the case of those that I
referenced.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Old July 2nd 03, 03:45 PM
mkahogan

I agree with the people who are saying that addicted, abusive drug use is a
sign of other problems. I also might add, "Well, Duh!"

The problem is that those problems remain undealt with. For example, if you
have an inferiority complex, but getting high makes you feel like part of
the group, you have not learned to be comfortable in your own skin without
the drug use. So you stop using the drug. There is no "brain damage" but
there certainly is an arrested emotional development in this example.

And, yes there is recreational drug use FOR SOME PEOPLE, but for people who
have addictive personalities, there is no such thing. So, even if those
underlying problems are addressed, the addictive person will never be able
to control the intake of the abused substance. There are studies that show
addicts are low in the brains natural narcotics, and so their bodies crave
these mind altering, body altering substances. This sounds right to me. I
can't relate at all to people who can just take it or leave it, as in
Louis's milkshake analogy .

I think it is ludicrious that alcohol is legal and pot is not. But , as I
said, my first preference would be that we didn't have to use any of it.

KathyH

Old July 2nd 03, 11:47 PM
Louis Cage

The basic reason is pot has no physically addictive substances. It has been
called "psychologically" addictive for some few individuals. They are
hooked on the buzz (which can be
replaced with any other buzz) rather than the substance itself.
Narcotics (opiates, the *caines mostly) have substances which the body
forms a need for.
Caffeine does that. That's why most people are not civil until they
have had the first cup of coffee or tea or whatever. Prolonged caffeine
withdrawal (over 36 hours) can cause headaches and nausea. Of course the
symptoms of narcotic withdrawal are worse. According to some junkies I used
to know, it resembles a real bad case of flu.
Apparently, there is a certain type of brain chemistry that make alcohol
addictive in some people and not in others.
But I have never heard of any of the hallucinogens, (spelling?) which is
the category that pot falls into, having physically addictive properties.
Like anything (except lampworking and glass), it can become obsessive and
take over a person's life (after all, what is life but lampworking and
glass?).
--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

news