Everyone in the mid-west OK

Old December 12th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Default Everyone in the mid-west OK

On Dec 11, 4:53 pm, Mary wrote:
I understand there isn't a single bag of ice-melt stuff for sale anywhere in the
city,

Kitty litter is also supposed to work pretty well. I've never tried
it, since we live in the country and have no sidewalks. Or, if you
have them, ashes from a fireplace. When we had our huge blizzard/
flood in '97, my horse's legs were frozen in the water that had flowed
overland and then froze about an inch thick. We had to get her out of
the pasture (what pasture? it was a solid sheet of ice!) and she
couldn't walk on the ice. DH got ashes from the fireplace and spread
them out, which gave her enough traction to get her out and up to
higher ground, i.e. the lawn around the house. Sure made it a lot
easier to feed her and she'd come up to the kitchen window and watch
us eat at the table.

Joan
Old December 12th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

lucretia borgia wrote:

You should get the horses those shoes that look like the bottom of
golf shoes and then they can get a grip on ice and snow. We used them
on the horses in Switzerland.

Not for horses, but for people: I just bought a pair of YakTrax at the
recommendation of a friend, and was chagrined to see that it's for use
only on unshoveled snow. The problem is, in city walking there's never
ALL unshoveled or ALL shovelled - always a combination of both. I
haven't tried them yet, so can't fully evaluate, but maybe someone else has.

http://www.yaktrax.com/

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old December 12th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Susan Hartman wrote:
lucretia borgia wrote:

You should get the horses those shoes that look like the bottom of
golf shoes and then they can get a grip on ice and snow. We used them
on the horses in Switzerland.

Not for horses, but for people: I just bought a pair of YakTrax at the
recommendation of a friend, and was chagrined to see that it's for use
only on unshoveled snow. The problem is, in city walking there's never
ALL unshoveled or ALL shovelled - always a combination of both. I
haven't tried them yet, so can't fully evaluate, but maybe someone else
has.

One remedy when I was much, much younger was to put a pair of old,
woolen socks on over your wellingtons.
Old December 12th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Bruce" wrote in message
Mary wrote:
I understand
there isn't a single bag of ice-melt stuff for sale anywhere in the
city, but they are expecting more to arrive tomorrow.

It may be a question of terminology as I'm not sure what "ice-melt" is but
we've always used common salt to remove ice from the steps & paths.
Bruce

Don`t spoil the illusion, Bruce - they call it something a bit more
imaginative and probably sell it for five times the price!

Pat

Old December 13th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen E.

Pat P wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

Mary wrote:

I understand
there isn't a single bag of ice-melt stuff for sale anywhere in the
city, but they are expecting more to arrive tomorrow.

It may be a question of terminology as I'm not sure what "ice-melt" is but
we've always used common salt to remove ice from the steps & paths.
Bruce

Don`t spoil the illusion, Bruce - they call it something a bit more
imaginative and probably sell it for five times the price!

"Ice melt" is usually understood to be something other than salt.
'airports, for instance, cannot use salt because it's too corrosive.
Many animal lovers opt for a different substance which is not so hard on
dogs' paws. Some products contain _some _salt but not as much. One I
Googled up contains calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, potassium
chloride, sodium chloride, and calcium silicate. The last is an
anti-caking ingredient. The product is touted "Won't harm grass, plants,
concrete, or carpets." So there's some salt but it's not all salt.

But, of course, it costs more.

Karen E.
Old December 14th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Dec 12, 9:50 am, lucretia borgia
wrote:

You should get the horses those shoes that look like the bottom of
golf shoes and then they can get a grip on ice and snow. We used them
on the horses in Switzerland

Ah, but she wasn't shod at all! I've never ridden my horses enough
that they need shoes.

Joan
Old December 14th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Dec 13, 6:40 pm, lucretia borgia
wrote:

We used to have them shod with the spiked ones
once the snow was packed down, then one person rode the horse and you
had gear, rather like water skiing gear, strung out behind and
somebody skiied behind the galloping horse. It was great fun, you
needed good goggles because the hooves churned up some lethal divots.
It was called skijoering and I think originated in Scandinavia
somewhere.

That does sound like fun!

Joan

OT Update - Heather in West Oz Heather in WestOz Quilting 10 May 5th 06 10:11 PM
Quilts of West Virginia Kate T. Quilting 9 September 1st 04 12:17 AM
Stitches West!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 1 January 30th 04 03:20 PM
Off to west coast for the weekend Marisa Cappetta Beads 3 January 8th 04 10:47 PM
OT - Geese fly west! nzl* Quilting 10 July 15th 03 01:06 AM