Quick-Easy-Teen Hat Pattern Needed

Old December 19th 04, 01:56 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Quick-Easy-Teen Hat Pattern Needed

WOW - After dusting off the Bulky machine yesterday my daugher
impressed us all with whipping out super trendy scarves for all her
girlfriends. Now, she wants to make some kind of hat for the guys on
her list. While my sons and I are "struggling" with a pattern on the
standard machine upstairs for my Mother (we are all sort of beginners
here with limited experience)....she wants to make sure she doesn't
end up with a project like ours that involvs removing onto garter bars
and shaping etc. (we should have read the pattern before we
started....that's what I get for letting the boys pick the project by
the picture). Anyway, she can use either the standard or bulky
punchard and both have ribbers. Any simple - quick- trendy guy
pattern out there?
Thanks a bunch from my daughter!
Joy
Old December 19th 04, 07:38 PM
Wooly

Make 10" of stockinette fabric, bind off, sew up the side seam and
"fold" the corners in to sort of flatten the top. Add a pom if you're
so inclined.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:56:49 GMT, Joy Hardie
spewed forth :

Old December 20th 04, 04:17 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:56:49 GMT, Joy Hardie wrote:

Anyway, she can use either the standard or bulky
punchard and both have ribbers. Any simple - quick- trendy guy
pattern out there?

The easiest is a length of Fisherman rib, changing to plain 1/1 rib for a
few rows at the end, then putting the ribber stitches up on top of the main
bed stitches for a row. Cut the yarn and take the stitches off on a yarn
needle to gather them. Tie it tightly and use the rest of the yarn to seam
the sides together. 48 to 50 stitches on the Bulky at tension 5 or so, will
fit an average head because Fisherman rib likes to stretch wide. This also
means you might want to make it a bit longer than you might think at first.
I usually don't like a pompon on this kind of hat, nor does my husband.
If such a hat starts to feel stretched out and not snug after wearing it a
few times, hold it by the gathered top and shake it sharply.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old December 21st 04, 03:53 PM
Joy Hardie

Thanks to both of you. Great! Daughter got some blue/offwhite yarn
yesterday and is off to give it a try.
Joy