OT - story with a moral

Old May 21st 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Default OT - story with a moral

Whenever I feel a bit older than I really am I always think of this story:
A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa, taking
Cuddles, her faithful but rather ancient poodle, along for the company.
One day the poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long, Cuddles
discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading
rapidly in his direction with the intention of having Cuddles for lunch.
The old poodle thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!" Noticing some
bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the
bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about
to leap the old poodle exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious
leopard! I wonder if there are any more around here?"
Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a look
of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew!",
says the leopard, "That was close! That old poodle nearly had me!"
Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby
tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for
protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the old poodle sees him
heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something
must be up. The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the
beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.
The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here,
monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving
canine!
Now, the old poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back
and thinks, "What am I going to do now?", but instead of running, the
dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen
them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old poodle
says “Where's that damn monkey? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me
another leopard!”
Moral of this story = Don't mess with old farts, age and treachery will
always overcome youth and skill!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney