LATE Sunday AM, etc, and a *wanted* "ad"....

Old June 15th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default OT: Will a cast iron pot survive the end of the world? Was Adapting the need ...

wrote:
I do not mind if my cast iron is washed. The cast iron griddle gets wiped
after pancakes, but it gets washed with soap after it has cooked sausage.
But, My wife has been known to polish a cast iron skillet with abrasive
until it was bright silver all over (followed shortly there after by orange
rust.) It is now back to being a deep black, but it took a while.

Jeepers, have you TALKED to her about this obsessive-compulsive
behaviour?? :-) :-) No way I would polish anything that doesn't need it,
I have more productive things to do with my time (like maybe sit with my
feet up reading a novel?)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old June 15th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Sure we talk. But, if I was to search very carefully in a group of
knitters, I might also find a few other behaviors that seem excessive : )
Heck, my old climbing buddy says that I knit to excess - but that does not
stop him from wearing the lopi ski socks that I knit him - and his asking me
to knit him some more!

Aaron

Old June 19th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:26:50 GMT, (Els van Dam)
wrote:

So we all have our favorite cooking pots and tools. I have a steel (that
rusts) potato peeling knife. It really is an old Herring "kaken" knife,
that was used by fishermen at sea to clean the herring. The nice thing is
that it keeps its edge much longer than stainless steel, which have
alloides in them, so the steel will not rust (however that does not mean
that it will not stain though) I clean it after use with a SOS.

I had a good iron knife when I was in the US. It also rusted, and
although it didn't keep its edge for very long, it was easy to sharpen
to a very fine edge. Once a friend of my daughter had a summer job
selling knives and I agreed to be her first "customer" so she could
practice her sales pitch. She was supposed to ask Mrs. Housewife to
bring out her best knife so she could demonstrate the superiority of
the brand she was selling. My old iron knife ran circles around her
fancy stainless steel knife. She was a bit worried, but I reassured
her that most of her customers wouldn't have such a knife.

I left that old knife in the US when I moved to Italy, and I'm really
sorry I did that.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old June 19th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:

[...]

Barbara, that makes me think of our trip to Chattanooga, to visit our son
who lives there. We came down from Detroit through Ohio, Kentucky and
Tennessee. We stopped in many road site places and because I forgot a
proper knife to slice the cheese and butter the bread for road side
picknicks, I bought a steel knife in one of the tourist stores along the
highway. I think it was a hickory brand one, and a steel one. We I have
several of these, and I love them for the same reason. It is not that
easy to get knives like that today.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr