LATE Sunday AM, etc, and a *wanted* "ad"....

Old June 11th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default LATE Sunday AM, etc, and a *wanted* "ad"....

Ya'll can read on my main blog how yesterday's WWKIP day went:
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
Our ozone levels were dangerously high, NOW I know *why* I'm so wiped
out!

*WANTED*
Size US 000 DPN's, under 6 inches in lenghth, NON metal, NOT
plastic... I want WOOD, ie: bamboo, rosewood, ebony, birch, etc; any
WOOD!!

I sacked in till 6:30 this morning, it's going to be another high
ozone, scorchin' day....

Later!
Hugs,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0623-4, 06/09/2006
Tested: 6/11/2006 8:38:40 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday even through the ozone levels
were very high.

I just dropped in for a few minutes this morning to say Hi to everyone
before heading out to the airport and off the Calgary again. This is
going to be a crazy week as my schedule is 12 hours a day in the
office. Hopefully each evening I will get a bit of crocheting done.

Sorry can't help you with the needles but hopefully someone else will.

Take care
Darlene

Old June 11th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:38:39 -0500, YarnWright
spewed forth :

*WANTED*
Size US 000 DPN's, under 6 inches in lenghth, NON metal, NOT
plastic... I want WOOD, ie: bamboo, rosewood, ebony, birch, etc; any
WOOD!!

I don't think you'll find needles that small in anything except steel.
Better start whittling!

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old June 11th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

YarnWright wrote:
Ya'll can read on my main blog how yesterday's WWKIP day went:
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/
Our ozone levels were dangerously high, NOW I know *why* I'm so wiped
out!

*WANTED*
Size US 000 DPN's, under 6 inches in lenghth, NON metal, NOT
plastic... I want WOOD, ie: bamboo, rosewood, ebony, birch, etc; any
WOOD!!

I sacked in till 6:30 this morning, it's going to be another high
ozone, scorchin' day....

Try not to overdo today, Noreen.

Higs,
Katherine

Old June 11th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:56:36 GMT, Wooly spun a fine yarn

I don't think you'll find needles that small in anything except steel.
Better start whittling!

Y'know, if DH or I had a MINI lathe, I or he WOULD make my 000's, and
THEN, I'd prolly make 'em out of ASH or some other strong, strong
wood.....
Anybody got one and willing?????
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0623-4, 06/09/2006
Tested: 6/11/2006 1:23:13 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 11th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article . com,
"Craftkitten" wrote:

Hi

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday even through the ozone levels
were very high.

I just dropped in for a few minutes this morning to say Hi to everyone
before heading out to the airport and off the Calgary again. This is
going to be a crazy week as my schedule is 12 hours a day in the
office. Hopefully each evening I will get a bit of crocheting done.

Sorry can't help you with the needles but hopefully someone else will.

Take care
Darlene

Darlene if you make it back to the West coast let me know I will wave to
you from the Island. Have a safe trip

els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old June 11th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , Wooly
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:38:39 -0500, YarnWright
spewed forth :

*WANTED*
Size US 000 DPN's, under 6 inches in lenghth, NON metal, NOT
plastic... I want WOOD, ie: bamboo, rosewood, ebony, birch, etc; any
WOOD!!

I don't think you'll find needles that small in anything except steel.
Better start whittling!

Yes and watch your fingers. How about using the baboom strips from a
table matt or blind, would that work

Els

+++++++++++++

Old June 12th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Last winter, I made a bunch of little wooden cable stitch holders last
winter that were about 000 or and maybe 3" long. They all ended up
breaking or just not being stiff enough to really work well. Woods tried
included ash (I wanted the cable needle to "snag" and not fall out!) bamboo,
birch, black walnut, olive, and dogwood.

Did you really give stainless steel a honest try? It has a lower thermal
conductivity than steel or aluminum so it feels much warmer, and it is
nonmagnetic. At that small diameter, stainless steel really does not feel
that heavy. If weight *is* still an issue, we could go to stainless steel
tubing and really get the weight down. (I.e., 0.5 inch long solid tips with
5" of tubing between them could be very light weight.

EG Another way of dealing with the weight of steel needles is a *knitting
sheath*. Knitting sheaths can be set up to even take very short, curved DPN
for knitting miniatures. They can be adjusted to support the work at a
comfortable level. And nothing knits faster than steel needles with a
knitting sheath! Knitting sheaths even allow you to knit socks on long DPN
without it feeling like you have a handful of wild spiders or mating
porcupines on your lap. The steel needles have a spring to them that does
half the work. you start the stitch and the spring of the needle finishes
the stitch. It is like "pushbutton" knitting. Maybe what you need is steel
needles and a wooden knitting sheath? (On the other hand long DPN are very
dangerous!)

Wood is much stronger than steel on a weight for weight basis. However,
steel is much stronger on a volume for volume basis. At 000, you are
getting down to the point where you need the strength per volume of steel or
stainless steel.

Aaron

Old June 12th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Why? Angle of the tip? Tip too sharp? Too slippery? Do you have other
needles of the same size that you do like? Maybe you just do not like
knitting tiny, tiny stitches : )

If the tip is too slippery ( and many commercial are) texture them with some
1000 grit emery paper. That often helps. Your fingers will not feel a
difference, but the yarn will.

Aaron