Inlaying Slip

Old October 10th 05, 11:50 PM
Stephen Powell

Default Inlaying Slip

Hi, I was reminded of a couple of tips I wanted to share whilst working on
some tankards this week. Firstly on how useful second hand dental tools can
be particularly V shaped ones in cutting groves in greenware with relatively
smooth edges. They seem to be easily available at cheap market tool stalls
for a couple of pounds.
Secondly having used jam jars to store decorating slip only to find with my
infrequent use they dry out over time. I now use Kilner jars( used for home
preserves) that have a wired top with a rubber seal. The slip is always
exactly the same consistency however long its left.

Steve.

Old October 11th 05, 12:07 AM
dkat

I asked my dental hygienist for the tools she is going to throw out. They
are still perfect for my use when they are no longer any use for her. The
jar idea is really nice. I have some of those that I don't have the heart
to give away and it never occurred to me to use them that way. Thanks!
Donna

. ..

Old October 11th 05, 11:21 PM
plodder

Hi Steve and Donna,
Here is a quick tip on getting smooth edges when tooling onto
greenware, I've had a go and it works supprisingly well; simply lay
thin polythene over the surface of the clay and scribe away with
virtualy any tool (taking care not to puncture the poly of course);when
the polythene is removed the edges are smooth and free from small
particles of clay.
Andy

Old October 12th 05, 12:54 AM
dkat

Neat! and I mean it in all senses of the word. Donna
"plodder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Steve and Donna,
Here is a quick tip on getting smooth edges when tooling onto
greenware, I've had a go and it works supprisingly well; simply lay
thin polythene over the surface of the clay and scribe away with
virtualy any tool (taking care not to puncture the poly of course);when
the polythene is removed the edges are smooth and free from small
particles of clay.
Andy

Disposal of slip and glazes? edard Pottery 1 January 26th 05 01:12 PM
Want to make red slip CNB Pottery 14 December 1st 04 03:35 AM
Question about slip Lcdumas Pottery 16 May 3rd 04 07:38 PM
slip recipes Kathryn & Stuart Fields Pottery 5 March 4th 04 02:13 AM
*Really* white porcelain slip? Robert Galejs Pottery 15 February 24th 04 01:32 AM