kilns

Old July 24th 05, 02:47 PM
Romayne Naylor

Default kilns

I am a stained glass hobbyist who would like to experiment with fusing
and/or slumping glass. I have an opportunity to buy one or both of two
kilns that a friend's grandmother used for many years to fire
bisqueware. I don't know if they are right for glass work and neither
of us have a clue as to a fair price. Both are at least 20 years old,
but seem to be in good working order.

The larger one measures 29" wide and 37" tall overall. The firing
chamber is 23 1/2" by 27". From the labeling, it is an Econo-Kiln by
L&L Manufacture, Twin Oaks, PA, model #K230, Ser.# 71973, 9100 watts,
220 volts and 41.7 amps.

The smaller one is a Sitter KIiln, manufactured by WP Dawson Inc., 399
Thor Place, Brea, CA. It is labeled as Model K, 240 vac, 50 amps, NI.

My questions a

Will either or both of these work for fusing and/or slumping glass?

Which would you recommend buying?

What would be a fair price?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Romayne
Old July 24th 05, 03:27 PM
Michele Blank

i use pottery kilns for both fusing and slumping. i pay about 300 for any
kilns i find available that work. You have to disable the kiln sitter. It's
the little thingy on the side where the potters put a cone which melts at a
particular temp thus shutting off the kiln. Jab a screw or something in it
to keep it open. Then , invest in a programmer( 350 up), or at the least a
pyrometer(45 up). Go to Bullseye .com for rates of heating, cooling,
annealing info, etc. Experiment, have fun. m

Old July 24th 05, 03:30 PM
Romayne Naylor

Thanks for the advise and also for the information on where to go for
more information!

Romayne

Old July 24th 05, 05:01 PM
Glassman

The big one would sell for about $500 on EBay.

Old July 24th 05, 06:25 PM
nJb

I use the kiln sitter as an extra overtemp protection. If you're going
to buy a stand alone controller, let me give you a bid.

--
Jack

Plonked by Native American

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old July 25th 05, 04:31 AM
Glassman

"nJb" wrote in message
I use the kiln sitter as an extra overtemp protection. If you're going
to buy a stand alone controller, let me give you a bid.

--
Jack

How much Jack? I can use one too. Even used is fine.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old July 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Charles Spitzer

an advantage to getting ceramic kilns is that you can make and fire your own
glass molds out of clay rather than having to buy the same ones everyone
else is using.

Old July 27th 05, 02:21 AM
Steve Ackman

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:42:55 -0700, Charles Spitzer wrote:
an advantage to getting ceramic kilns is that you can make and fire your own
glass molds out of clay rather than having to buy the same ones everyone
else is using.

I used a Skutt glass kiln (max. ~1700°F) to fire
ceramics to bisque for use as glass molds.

You don't need an actual ceramic kiln just to fire
to bisque.
Old July 28th 05, 11:23 PM

If you get tired of babysitting the kiln through manually controlled
firings, you get a $595.00 Field Kit from AIM kilns to convert any kiln
to using a Bartlett controller.

Old July 28th 05, 11:26 PM

Clay fired to 1700 F makes for relatively low grade molds. We fire
ours to 2400 F.