OT pie disaster

Old July 17th 05, 05:55 AM
NightMist

Default OT pie disaster

One of the things the family looks forward to in the summer is my
grandma's peach pie. OK, I switched the sweet Kentucky bourbon in the
recipe to Irish Mist, so I reckon maybe it is my peach pie now.

Anyhow, gramma used flour to thicken, and I prefer tapioca for very
juicy fruits like peaches. I was out of tapioca and have just never
had good results useing flour, so I used corn starch.

Dang pie did not thicken. Not one little bit.

I was generous with the corn starch and that blasted pie was in the
oven for better than an hour, so I have not the first clue as to what
happened. I use corn starch to thicken other pies and almost never
have a problem with it. When I do it is usually explainable, too much
dead ripe fruit or somesuch. These peaches were dollar a pound
underripe manager's specials, so they should have been perfect for a
pie. They certainly seemed it when I peeled and sliced them.

Anybody have a suggestion?

NightMist
California peaches the sign said
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old July 17th 05, 06:31 AM
nzlstar

seems obvious to me, nightmist.
you forgot to invite all of us over to share that scrummy pie with ya.
how rude!!!!!!!!
next time i guess, eh.
hugz,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"NightMist" wrote...

Old July 17th 05, 06:40 AM
marbles_2

I use corn starch (actually a different grade of corn starch than the
regular Argo in the store stuff because I bought 25 pounds of it one
time to do canned apple pie filling..... and needless to say I must use
it for everything....) for fruit pies and usually they come out fine.
(My basic standard recipe is about 4 cups fruit, one cup sugar and one
fourth cup corn starch with little dots of butter)

I think one thing about corn starch is that it thickens when it's
cool, so the next day your pie will be thicker .... but who wants to
wait until the next day?? Spoon it up into my dish and I'll take it off
your hands!!!

Annie

Old July 17th 05, 01:16 PM
Polly Esther

If you enjoy reading cooking books, look in Alton Brown's or Julia Child's,
maybe Fannie Farmer. They'll perhaps make you an expert on the trickyoctomy
of corn starch. Meanwhile, the pie will be just lovely on vanilla ice
cream. I'll bring mine right over. Polly

oups.com...

Old July 17th 05, 05:56 PM
Mika

California peaches the sign said

Right there is the problem Nightmist. Everyone knows that Georgia peaches
are the only TRUE peaches. Everything else is just a peach wannabe. ;-)

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Old July 17th 05, 06:03 PM
Donna in Idaho

Have to tell you a story about pies! Several years ago we went to a farm
sale. The women in the area always serve lunch at farm sales, including
home baked pies. If there are pies left over, they're auctioned off, too.
We bought a couple cherry pies.

When we bit into our first piece of cherry pie, it was like biting into a
mouth full of marbles!

Evidently the pie maker had heard that you can use tapioca for thickening.
Also, evidently, she didn't really listen to the rest of the story. She had
used "uncooked" pearl tapioca. Both pies went in the trash. I'm surprised
one of us didn't end up with a broken tooth from those cherry pies!
--
Donna Aten, Coordinator
Project Linus - Boise/SW Idaho Chapter

Old July 18th 05, 03:29 AM
Mika

Well I if my Granddaddy was still alive and still had the peach orchard I
would have said unequivocally that ARKANSAS peaches are the BEST. But since
he isn't still living and the peach orchard is long gone, Georgia got
billing on that one cause I've never had a SC peach. At least not that I
know of. So that gives you an excuse to send me some. hint hint. :-)

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

link.net...

Old July 18th 05, 05:04 AM
Taria

Well, most home grown peaches from most states where they grow would
probably be 'best'. Fresh fruit off the tree is wonderful.
I have to say there is a peach tree in the desert yard that
has the yuckiest tasting peaches ever. I don't even have to chase the
birds away from them. The next tree over is my beloved apricot tree
that is the best and a big producer.
I've had a pie disaster or two before. If you want to eat the thing
before it has cooled make a cobbler instead. They are wonderful warm.
Taria

Old July 18th 05, 09:19 AM
Mika

oooohhhh now I'm jealous. You have apricots. I remember growing up we had an
apricot tree that had the biggest, juiciest apricots. My brother and I would
fight over who got to climb the tree first. Of course, him being older and
bigger he got to go first so he always go the best ones. They were so good.
My great-granddaddy had a huge peach orchard that was passed on to my
granddaddy. They grew the best peaches in the state but that was many many
years ago. The trees are all gone now and have been for a long time. But
fresh peach cobbler straight out of the oven is oh so scrumptious. Ok enough
of the memory lane stuff. DH is not here for me to cry on his shoulder and
this just makes me realize how much I miss Grandmother and Granddaddy and
being so far away from my family.

Mika wrote:
Well I if my Granddaddy was still alive and still had the peach orchard I
would have said unequivocally that ARKANSAS peaches are the BEST. But
since he isn't still living and the peach orchard is long gone, Georgia
got billing on that one cause I've never had a SC peach. At least not
that I know of. So that gives you an excuse to send me some. hint hint.
:-)