Want to make red slip

Old November 20th 04, 01:40 PM
CNB

Default Want to make red slip

Hi all,

I would like everyone's opinion. I fire cone 6 electric. I've been using
Standard Brooklyn Red clay and love the fired brick red color. Unfortunately
I hate to throw with it. It's just to sandy for me. I don't see another clay
with that red brick color so I think I would like to make a slip to use over
the clay that I do like. My question is what type of powdered clay should I
buy to make it? What recipes do you use to get a brick red slip?

Thanks,
Crystal

Old November 20th 04, 09:52 PM
annemarie

"CNB" wrote in message
Hi all,

I would like everyone's opinion. I fire cone 6 electric. I've been using
Standard Brooklyn Red clay and love the fired brick red color.
Unfortunately
I hate to throw with it. It's just to sandy for me. I don't see another
clay
with that red brick color so I think I would like to make a slip to use
over
the clay that I do like. My question is what type of powdered clay should
buy to make it? What recipes do you use to get a brick red slip?

Thanks,
Crystal

Just use the clay, I often make slip from the clays I use. If it is a bit
too sandy you can always sieve it. If you use it over a clay that fires to
the same cone all should be well, but of course test it.
You can always make a terra sig with letting it stand etc and then taking
only the very finest particles, but just a sieved slip would probably
achieve what you are after.
Cheers

Old November 21st 04, 02:10 PM
CNB

That's just it. I don't think I want to buy the clay anymore since I don't
like throwing with it. I'm almost out of it too. I think it would be more
work to make moist clay into slip than to take a dry clay powder and make a
slip. It would be ok if I would only be using a small amount but I plan to
use it
to cover a lot of pieces. That clay is sandy so that would be a job to
sieve out all the
sand. Yuck. I think there must be a recipe that I can use to get
the slip. I thought of terra sig but decided that's not what I want to do. I
should have
mentioned that in my post. I feel that there is to much waste with terra
sig. Maybe
one day I will take a shot at that though.
)
Crystal

Old November 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Redwoodk1

Did you check with your supplier to find out if they carry the same clay
without grog?? I use 103 red from Standard that has no grog but I have also
gotten the same clay at times with grog (105 ???) Both are low fire. I make
slip by completely drying out all my scrap clay and then adding water, soda ash
& silica. No need to buy powdered clay for slip if you are throwing and
trimming. Use your scraps!
It works better to dry the clay pieces first before adding water but I have
done wet clay when I was pressed for time. I use a paint mixer attached to an
electric drill to do the mixing.
Good luck,
Kay
Old November 22nd 04, 11:27 PM
Steve Mills

A technique we recommend to customers in the same dilemma is to dry out
some of your standard clay body, weigh it, make it into a slip, sieve
out the sand or grog, add whatever oxide or stain (roughly 10 percent
for starters) you wish to use as a colourant and presto a slip that
fits!!!
We also recommend this technique to those using a coarse body for
smoke/pit/whathaveyou firing, but who want a smooth surface for
burnishing.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article ,
CNB writes

--
Steve Mills
Old November 24th 04, 12:59 AM
SpunMud

Hi Kay, what is the effect of adding silica and/or soda ash to scrap clay in
order to make slip? I've always been a lazy boy and just made slip from scrap
clay and nothing else (unless I'm making terra sig). What proportions do you
use?
Thanks!
Eric
SpunMud
Old November 24th 04, 12:30 PM
Kay

Hi Eric,
I use my slip for pouring molds that I have made. In order to do that the slip
has to be deflocculated, which is what soda ash & silica (and/or Darvon) do to
the clay. Very little water in the slip.
IF you are using the slip to decorate your ware you do not want it
deflocculated, it might just run off your pot. You need the water in the clay
for this. If you have not added anything in the past to your slip I wouldn't
start now.
Enjoy the day,
Kay
Take the junk out of my address to email me.
Old November 25th 04, 07:28 PM
Max Black

Even if it had, keep in mind that ethyl glycol is extremely toxic. Cats
and dogs love the taste of it and a teaspoonful spilled on the floor
can kill a pet. Although nowadays in Europe at least, propylene glycol
is used and it's not that toxic.

max

Slgraber wrote:
i saw a group studio last weekend where they used regular car antifreeze as a
deflocculate ingrediant.

the person giving me the tour didn't know the details, but does car antifreeze
have that application in a pottery room?

see ya

steve

steve graber

--

X-Privat "FREE Usenet" - http://www.newsserver.it
Old November 27th 04, 04:51 PM
Ken

Try mixing the clay body you like to throw with into a slip consistency,
then colour it with red iron oxide 5 - 10 % It will fit your pots because
it is same formulation. Apply with a soft brush to leather hard thrown pots
and or swill interior with slip like glazing .
Good Luck
Ken