kilns

Old September 5th 04, 05:41 PM
Bonnie

Default kilns

Hi,
I'm going to be moving onto a narrowboat in the very near future but I
really want to try fusing.
My other half has just been looking into all the of electrical stuff for me
and has basically said my options are either a generator or a gas kiln.
My questions are
1 Does such a thing as a gas kiln exist?
2 If so where can I get one?
3 Anyone had any experience using a generator with a kiln? (problems with
using a generator is noise and space)

I'm only wanting to make jewellery and small plates, ashtrays etc.
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bonnie

Old September 5th 04, 06:47 PM
nJb

Bonnie wrote:

Hi,
I'm going to be moving onto a narrowboat in the very near future but I
really want to try fusing.
My other half has just been looking into all the of electrical stuff for me
and has basically said my options are either a generator or a gas kiln.
My questions are
1 Does such a thing as a gas kiln exist?
2 If so where can I get one?
3 Anyone had any experience using a generator with a kiln? (problems with
using a generator is noise and space)

I'm only wanting to make jewellery and small plates, ashtrays etc.
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bonnie

1 Gas kilns exist, not sure if they are being used for glass fusing.
2 http://www.aimkilns.com/html/gas_kilns.html
3 I've had no experience firing kilns with a generator but it will
definitely work.

The boat has no power at all? How will you make toast?

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...&page=itemView
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old September 6th 04, 06:51 AM
Bonnie

"nJb" wrote in message
Bonnie wrote:

[...]

We'll have electric via batteries but my other half informs me it'll be
nowhere near enough to power a kiln unless everything else is turned of and
the engine is running. Not ideal.
Toast will be made with a gas grill ;op
Ta for the site, i'm in the uk tho but i'll have a look still see if they
have info!

Bonnie

Old September 6th 04, 12:25 PM
Terry Harper

"Bonnie" wrote in message
"nJb" wrote in message
Bonnie wrote:

[...]

Presumably you are going to use LPG for the gas. You need to be aware of the
hazard with this gas of it settling into the lowest parts of the boat, where
a build-up can lead to an explosive mixture. Not to be recommended.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Old September 7th 04, 12:48 AM
Cheryl

The boat has no power at all? How will you make toast?

well - I suppose she probably has a toaster rack that you can set over a gas
range burner -- that's the way they did it before "electric toasters" were
invented.
Also - we have one for our camper - and used one in scouting on a propane
stove....
just set it over a heat source -- add bread - -and you get toast!!! see pic
here -

http://store.yahoo.com/avidoutdoorsaw/camstovtoas.html
Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old September 7th 04, 01:14 AM
nJb

Cheryl wrote:

The boat has no power at all? How will you make toast?

well - I suppose she probably has a toaster rack that you can set over a gas
range burner -- that's the way they did it before "electric toasters" were
invented.
Also - we have one for our camper - and used one in scouting on a propane
stove....
just set it over a heat source -- add bread - -and you get toast!!! see pic
here -

http://store.yahoo.com/avidoutdoorsaw/camstovtoas.html
Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

I've had one of those since 1972. It really wasn't a serious question.
As long as the blender works the only toast I'm concerned with doesn't
need heat.

Here's a picture of my cordless blender.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...ROD&ProdID=236

Old September 7th 04, 02:57 AM
Mike Firth

The real problem is annealing the glass, bringing the temperature down
slowly enough so that it does not crack, either going up or down, which is
more likely with thicker pieces. If everything was thin, you might be able
to heat with gas and use a well insulated box to drop the temp slowly.
Fully temp controlled gas is going to cost a small fortune. You will have
to have a box with a torch input and flue output and some way of watching
the temp.
On the other hand, if you are going to keep it small, you can sag and fuse
glass, with lots of insulation, with only 1000-2000 watts, by far low enough
to work with portable generators. I am assuming a Frax insulated box, not
insulating fire brick. Also lighter.
The real problem, to me, will be the bulk of either kind of unit - with
lots of insulation a 1-1.5 cubic foot space becomes 2x2x3 feet.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old September 7th 04, 07:08 AM
starlia

Can you purchase a small generator dedicated to the kiln? We had a rather
large generator in Alaska for years and we couldn't wash a load of laundry
and have the toaster on at the same time. It was insane but it was either
live with it or go without. I went without a lot up there but not some sort
of electricity during the day at least. At night we turned it all off.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old September 8th 04, 02:37 AM
Michele Blank

perhaps you should look at bead making and/or lampworking. You would use a
torch with it's own gas supply and for annealing most small items, a
crockpot on low filled with vermiculite would be acceptable??? m

Old September 8th 04, 07:12 AM
Bonnie

Looking into generators. The problem that way is sound!
The more powerful generators tend to be either noisy or really really
expensive!
We're going to moored in a marina for at least the first couple of
years(just going out at weekends) and I don't think my neighbours would be
impressed!
I'm starting to think that my best choice is to talk nicely to my mom! See
if I can keep it at her house and visit her to use it!
Bit of travelling but not too bad!
Bonnie

glass kilns in UK Jo Glass 4 August 17th 07 10:26 PM
Need advice/info about kilns for metal clay Peggy Beads 9 November 10th 04 05:19 PM
looking for pics of Home-made Kilns. Boner the Cat Glass 2 July 15th 04 07:57 PM
Kilns / Anyone in Zip 75149? CLP Beads 7 October 17th 03 03:44 AM
Kilns, Build or Buy R. Weisbloom Glass 2 August 10th 03 10:13 PM