OT - Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee

Old June 3rd 12, 10:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Default OT - Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee

Big river procession on the Thames this afternoon. Pity it's chucking it
down with rain right now (10:20am); no rain up here although it's a bit
chilly. BBC TV is covering the event so we'll probably watch it on the
computer (don't have a TV)
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old June 4th 12, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian

On Jun 3, 5:34*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:49:55 +0100, Bruce

wrote:
On 03/06/2012 18:05, wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 10:21:41 +0100, Bruce
*wrote:

Big river procession on the Thames this afternoon. Pity it's chucking it
down with rain right now (10:20am); no rain up here although it's a bit
chilly. BBC TV is covering the event so we'll probably watch it on the
computer (don't have a TV)

Quite the show! * My vote goes to the Philharmonic, stupendous.

Indeed, the choir sang their heart out. Shame about the awful commentry,
where are the modern equivalents of Raymond Baxter and Richard Dimbleby?

I watched on CBC and it was our own Peter Mansbridge, he did a great
job. *I remember Richard Dimbleby and his 'cathedral like tones' -
think that was what Gilbert Harding called them lol * However, I heard
one announcer on the radio refer to the river 'tames' - I nearly
phoned CBC then thought, lifes too short lol

Thinking back sixty years I was in London on the corner of the Mall,
all night and really did not see that much for my efforts. *We had a
few days off from school and where my parents were in Japan I went
home with a friend. *Her father was a well known bishop but her mother
had died when she was little and he had not a clue about teenage
girls. *My friend told him we wouldn't be a bother and we left him in
his study and took off for London. * I don't think he even realised we
went up to London lol * Then we watched a re-run on a little B/W
television. * It was very exciting though to be on the streets of
London, I doubt those there today felt any pain in the excitement of a
historical moment.

I enjoyed watching the parts they showed on Fox News.

I remember the Coronation so well....it was my 17th birthday, and we
went to a wealthy friend of the family to watch on his TV (I think it
was colour)..and then have a birthday luncheon (or was it the reverse
way). I remember our host gave me a lovely little fragile vase. It was
a numbered edition of the very pretty floral design that Wedgewood
made. I really cried when DS and his Dad broke it playing nerf ball in
the living room, many years later.

I was so shocked when the US commentator, who we see on TV daily
used the word "coronated" rather than crowned. I felt like ringing
them up. to straighten her out...and also the "horserace" wasn't at a
horsetrack just for the occasion..and it is pronounced DARBY...not
DERBY. AS Jim Cripwell would say...just picking nits.

Gill

Stitching Jubilee Marianne T. Needlework 3 June 7th 09 06:38 PM
Stitching Jubilee Marianne T Needlework 0 May 16th 09 11:47 PM
Stitching Jubilee Newsgroups Needlework 5 May 10th 08 04:55 AM
Stitching Jubilee BeverlyB Needlework 1 December 20th 07 03:41 PM
Queen of Hawaii-Queen's Quilt KittyG Quilting 3 April 23rd 05 09:32 PM