OT remember this

Old November 5th 05, 04:24 AM
Polly Esther

Default OT remember this

I know I have a heap more time to read things than most of you busy people
do. You need to know this -
Our newspaper's Dr. Gott today says that applying sunscreen *and* bug
repellant is dangerous. The results can be: toxicity, rash, low blood
pressure, dizziness, headaches, disorientation and brain damage. Now we
know what's wrong with me.
You don't have to reply and you don't have to try it just to see if he's
right or not. Just please file it away in your insufficient memory. Polly

Old November 5th 05, 04:31 AM
extremevalues

ok, so is it the combination of the two that makes you loopy? or will
just one of them be enough? I can definately relate to the dizziness,
disorientation and brain damage part........ although i really doubt
that bug spray or sunscreen are the culprits!!! ROTFLMBO!

Carol in TX
need therapy? make a quilt!

Old November 5th 05, 04:47 AM
Polly Esther

Well, the dear Dr. Gott was talking about the simultaneous application. I
had this vision of a mama protecting a little one from sun damage and bug
bites. . . and thereby wiping out his brain. Did you ever see a
sunscreen with a label warning that says Never apply with bug repellant?
Mercy no. They probably tell you (in six languages that you don't speak)
that you shouldn't use it in the bathtub with the hairdryer, to flush out
your eyes with clear water and how to call your poison control center if you
ingest vast quantities. And, Carol, this was not a new medical flash - the
information came from a journal published in 2003.

"extremevalues" asked ...

Old November 5th 05, 06:07 AM
Heather Michna

funny you should mention this. Back in 2003, I did the Avon Walk for Breast
Cancer in Los Angeles. My husband worked medical crew. All weekend long,
we had walkers left and right with BAD rashes all over their body. A nurse
working the walk, finally came up with a mixture of benadryl cream mixed
with cortisone cream that seemed to work wonders on the rash. Everyone
pretty much chalked it up to the heat. Well, in 2004 at the walk, while in
crew meeting for medical crew an announcement was made that they discovered
that the bottle of sunscreen/bug repellant that Avon had just put out, and
had given a bottle to every walker, was the culprit causing the rash the
previous year. Needless to say, that product was not in our registration
goodie bag we got every year.

et...

Old November 5th 05, 12:23 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:
I know I have a heap more time to read things than most of you busy people
do. You need to know this -
Our newspaper's Dr. Gott today says that applying sunscreen *and* bug
repellant is dangerous. The results can be: toxicity, rash, low blood
pressure, dizziness, headaches, disorientation and brain damage. Now we
know what's wrong with me.
You don't have to reply and you don't have to try it just to see if he's
right or not. Just please file it away in your insufficient memory. Polly

I wonder why he says that? We have an excellent sunscrene with insect
repellent properties! Made to do both, and for kids...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old November 6th 05, 02:39 AM
Debra

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:23:42 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:
I know I have a heap more time to read things than most of you busy people
do. You need to know this -
Our newspaper's Dr. Gott today says that applying sunscreen *and* bug
repellant is dangerous. The results can be: toxicity, rash, low blood
pressure, dizziness, headaches, disorientation and brain damage. Now we
know what's wrong with me.
You don't have to reply and you don't have to try it just to see if he's
right or not. Just please file it away in your insufficient memory. Polly

I wonder why he says that? We have an excellent sunscrene with insect
repellent properties! Made to do both, and for kids...

But we don't have it here, at least I haven't seen it during my yearly
sun block quest. Most of the sun screens and blocks here are scented
like flowers, sweet things like coconuts or bananas, or coco butter
thus you attract bees and biting insects. Finding a non-scented one
with a high enough spf rating for me is not always easy.

I think our insect repellents are made of watered down insecticides.
I've had rashes, headaches, and dizziness every time I ever used one
alone. I have found taking plenty of B vitamins helps my body
produce it's own natural insect repellant without toxic effects.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old November 6th 05, 03:45 AM
Polly Esther

Very interesting thoughts, Debra. The mosquitoes here are so big they have
to land at the airport - but they are never very interested in me. I very
rarely have to wear an insect repellant. I went back to Dr. Gott's report.
He mentions the repellant that reacts with sunscreen is DEET. He doesn't
say anything specific about the ingredients in sunscreen. And, oh my yes,
it is really difficult to find a sunscreen that doesn't make you smell like
a coconut pie. Polly

"Debra" wrote But we don't have it here, at least I haven't seen it

Old November 6th 05, 08:48 AM
Roberta Zollner

According to DD the entomologist (who spent 3 years in Thailand and went out
in the jungle for a week every month and swears she was never once bitten),
mosquitoes only bite between dusk and dawn. So if something bit you in broad
daylight, it wasn't a mosquito. And if you have window screens to keep them
out and stay indoors after dark, you probably don't need much in the way of
repellant. DD slept under mosquito nets, BTW.

Just read one of those "interesting" articles, may have been Time, about
jumping spiders in Kenya. (No webs, they stalk and leap on their prey.)
Apparently there's one species that lives inside people's houses and its
preferred prey is female mosquitoes that have just had a blood meal. :-p
Roberta in D

k.net...

Old November 6th 05, 12:42 PM
Bonnie Patterson

I've used a product called "Bug 'n Sun", it's made for children, with
no ill effects.

I usually use sun block called "NO-AD", it doesn't have any scent that
I can smell. I put it on about a half hour before I leave the house. I
spray "OFF Skintastic" on my hair, clothing, and exposed skin just
before I go out into the yard, all with no ill effects.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I do have pale skin that will burn and I attract all biting insects
and they in turn call all of their buddies and tell them that lunch
has arrived!

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

Old November 6th 05, 01:40 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:

[...]

Scroll down this page until you see the Soltan for kids:
http://www.boots.com/shop/product_li...onid=103 2835

We have this and it has caused no rashes yet, and i have very sensitive
skin. It smells pleasant but isn't strongly scented.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Remember Mary Vandenberg...Needlework Teacher? Margaret Lee Needlework 0 July 21st 05 01:59 AM
do you remember when..... Christina in Ok Quilting 1 July 18th 05 10:16 PM
OT - remember that newspaper interview? Queen of Squishies Quilting 2 September 1st 04 02:31 PM
I remember seeing... m4816k Jewelry 0 December 3rd 03 03:57 AM
Remember!!!! especially newbies OT Dr. Sooz Beads 0 August 1st 03 09:47 PM