Baby Raglan Sweater Question

Old April 21st 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Baby Raglan Sweater Question

I am making a raglan cardigan sized 3 months old from a vintage
pattern. I translated the pattern from fingering weight yarn to light
sportweight yarn to use up some stash, and am using a striped
pattern. In order for the stripes on the sleeves to match the stripes
on the body, I need to either make the sleeves 1/2 inch shorter or
about 1 1/4 inch longer before the raglan shaping than the pattern
suggests.

The pattern doesn't have a diagram, and doesn't indicate finished
dimensions, but the sleeve before raglan shaping would be either 6 1/2
inches or 8 1/4 inches.

My question is, which would be better, 1/2 inch shorter, or 1 1/4 inch
longer. Is there some kind of standard as to how long a sleeve should
be for a certain age infant (3 months)? I don't have a baby or a doll
to measure, so I'm just trying to figure it out.

TIA

Hesira

Old April 21st 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I think I found the answer to my questions. I found the Yarn
Council's Standards document. It stated that the average length of a
3 month's arm is 6 inches from armpit to cuff. I'm not very familiar
with raglan sweaters, but I guess the armpit is where the raglan
shaping begins, so the knitting before that indicates the length of
the sweater's sleeve.

If I go with 1/2 inch shorter, the length of the sleeve will be 6 1/2
inches. I don't want to make a sweater to fit an orangutan, so I
think I'll go with 1/2 inch shorter.

Hesira

Old April 21st 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

The "good" thing about going longer is that you can turn the cuffs
back if necessary, but you're talking quite a lot longer so I suspect
you've made the right decision. Yes, the armpit it where the raglan
shaping starts.

Sounds like an interesting knit - I'd love to see a picture when you
are done!

VP

Old April 21st 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Apr 20, 7:59 pm, hesira wrote:
I am making a raglan cardigan sized 3 months old from a vintage
pattern. I translated the pattern from fingering weight yarn to light
sportweight yarn to use up some stash, and am using a striped
pattern. In order for the stripes on the sleeves to match the stripes
on the body, I need to either make the sleeves 1/2 inch shorter or
about 1 1/4 inch longer before the raglan shaping than the pattern
suggests.

The pattern doesn't have a diagram, and doesn't indicate finished
dimensions, but the sleeve before raglan shaping would be either 6 1/2
inches or 8 1/4 inches.

My question is, which would be better, 1/2 inch shorter, or 1 1/4 inch
longer. Is there some kind of standard as to how long a sleeve should
be for a certain age infant (3 months)? I don't have a baby or a doll
to measure, so I'm just trying to figure it out.

Personally, I would suggest going longer, You can always turn the
cuffs up.
And the baby may have long arms!

Higs,
Katherine

Old April 21st 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Since you never made a raglan , and i don`t know if you knit seamless
[ =in the round] , once you get to the armpit , decrease 2 stich of
the sleeve on each side on back and front as well, ans finish the
raglan part on one circular needle decreasing each side the 2nd +3rd
stich away from the last stich that will make a perfect false seam ,,
mirjam

Old April 21st 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The baby won't mind whatever you do :-)

Mary

Old April 23rd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

Normally I would say go longer since you can turn the cuffs but having
recently experienced just how tiny a newborn is, I think the 6 1/2 should be
fine. I haven't measured my 14-month old's arms in a while but her inseam
is still only 9 inches - I can't imagine her arms would be more than the 8
1/4 you are looking at for your other option!

Good luck!

LauraJ

ups.com...

aran baby sweater Lucille Needlework 1 October 12th 05 02:09 AM
question about aran sweater pattern bienchat Yarn 2 April 4th 05 12:22 PM
Raglan Sleeve Sweater Question? Louise Weiler Yarn 4 November 15th 03 01:08 PM
EZ's baby sweater in the almanac Slick Hippy Chick Yarn 3 July 28th 03 02:41 PM
K. Zimmermann's best baby sweater Slick Hippy Chick Yarn 1 July 15th 03 02:03 PM