Thanks and pictures

Old March 7th 05, 04:52 PM
Dawn Alguard

I found that working under such a lamp dried my eyes out and made
them ache. Other halogen owners have complained of the same problem. I
tossed my halogen lamp after a moth flew over it and burst into flame
on the wing."True daylight' bulbs are an excellent substitute.

I don't have any pets or kids and I only have the light on when I'm in
the room, so I'm not too worried about the fire hazard. I don't think
I've noticed my eyes being bothered. Most of the light in my house is
halogen.

It seems like I can never get enough light. The overhead light in that
room is two 100W bulbs (incandescent) and then I turn on the 300W
halogen besides. That's how much light I like. Those true daylight
bulbs always have such wimpy wattages, like 40W. I know it's not quite
the same thing but I can't believe I'd get the same amount of light. I
was looking at a flourescent fixture at Lowe's the other day that
claimed it would produce the equivalent of 300W halogen. Anyone ever
try one of those?

Dawn
Old March 7th 05, 06:42 PM
Jenn Ridley

Dawn Alguard wrote:

wrote:
[...]

OK, we've got a terminology problem.

Look at the *lumens* on the bulbs. A lumen is a measurement of light.
A watt is a measurement of energy.

A 100W bulb uses 100 watts of energy when it's on. A fluorescent bulb
will give off more lumens for that 100 watts than an incandescent bulb
will.

Incandescent bulbs are very inefficient at turning electricity into
light. Halogen bulbs are slightly better, but only slightly.
Fluorescent bulbs are even more efficient than halogen bulbs.

And it's very possible that a 50W fluorescent bulb would have the same
lumination capability as a 300W halogen. It'd also be a lot cooler
when on.

--
Jenn Ridley :
Old March 7th 05, 10:32 PM