Popular Misconception *a rant about group policy*

Old August 23rd 04, 07:42 PM
Julia Altshuler

Mardi wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly about the OT concept. My pet peeve is when
people reply to an OT post and somehow remove the OT from it. Now it
is no longer an OT post. So, remember, when replying to an OT post,
don't remove the OT from the subject line.

That happens automatically. The machine does it. The trick seems to be
not to use colons but to use dashes instead. In other words, label the
off topic posts as "OT-" not "OT:" (Hey, I didn't invent that system.)

--Lia

Old August 23rd 04, 07:44 PM
Pati Cook

I come here for companionship, for a chance to sit and chat, or listen to all
sorts of things. I don't mind the occasional reference to "business"
especially when it is in response to a question. Many interesting topics
arise, and yes, it is best to mark them OT if they are not specifically
quilt/textile related.

Personally I think there is "much ado about" not much with the current spate
of anti advertising stuff. In my opinion, it is not advertising if someone
asks a question about something and a response is given. Especially if dollar
amounts and such are not specified. We have had several discussions in the
past on the cost of machine quilting a quilt, or how much to sell/ make a
quilt for, and so on. Nothing has been said about it being off topic.

I enjoy the people on here, I enjoy learning about them. I can also use the
"mark thread read" button, and skip messages I don't want to read. Just as I
can "tune out" conversations in a group that don't interest me.

I'm thinking that just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in this case
so is advertising.

Thanks for "listening" to my opinions.

What's everyone working on quilt wise??

Pati, in Phx working on several projects to be class samples.

Diana Curtis wrote:

I pay to learn how to quilt better. To get quilting advice. To get
inspiration and techinical advice about quilting. I also pay for the
friendship and fun chat.
So, what does everyone else come here for?
Diana

"Jan" wrote in message
link.net...
Maybe it's because it ISN'T a class.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in
:

Only you can decide if that is a reasonable interuption to your quilt
lesson. For me, trying to pay attention to the teachers, it would be
unwelcome. That might not be true for others.
Diana

"Jan" wrote in message
news But is it a person popping in to the classroom or a person sitting
around the frame answering a question asked? If it's quilting

related
and no prices mentioned or sales pitch made, perhaps it isn't an
interruption, but a nice addition to the conversation, another nugget

of
knowledge and a celebration waiting to happen.

What constitutes adverstising in my mind is a price or a specific
service pitched. Not just saying I do that.... because then all of

us
stay at home moms, or other crafters saying I do that.... are
advertising.

Jan

"Diana Curtis" wrote in
:

.
We all talk about this group as if it is a cyber quilting bee. It
isnt. It is a quilting lesson, ongoing and dynamic. They are

lessons
we each pay for. Some pay more, some pay less, but dang it, we all
pay to be here.
Picture having a quilting lesson at your local quilt store where
every so
often a person pops into the class room and advertises something,
interupting the lessons you paid for. You'd be right to be upset.

It
could be your best friend in the world, offering to quilt for you,

or
a total stranger offering a better way of living thru pills or what
have you. Its the same thing, an interuption.
But what about OT posts, you ask. Arent they an interruption as
well? Yes,
when we forget to mark them as being off topic, to the paying
subscriber to this group, they are, for some, an unwanted

interruption
of what they pay to come here for. Quilt lessons. When we do

remember
to use the OT in the header it is as if we have excused ourselves

the little room over there with the coffee urn and the nummy

desserts
where we wont be interupting the other quilters with our chatter.
We all have the right to be here. We have the right to a

newsgroup
that
the majority will find useful and fun. Along with those rights

comes a
serious responsibilty to police ourselves and our own posts. If we
decide as a group to allow people to post ads where do we draw the
line? Who gets to post ads and how many and how often is offensive?

Do
we get to pick on people who are obviously not regular posters? Who

is
going to police such a wishy washy policy?
Does it make more sense to make a blanket policy that

advertisments
are to
go to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace? That is what it is for.
Rant mode over, back to quilting
Diana

Old August 23rd 04, 07:58 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you for your opinion.
Im working on remaking a siggy quilt. It has had many incarnations, each
being a favorite. Last year I was given siggys from some members here and am
now setting them into square in a square blocks to match the originals in
*Bankie*. Its going to look lots nicer, both from the new squares and the
fact that it will get bound this time! :-)
Diana

Old August 23rd 04, 09:15 PM
Yasmine17796

Your rant did that. I'm putting you in my killfile with all the other
unpleasant people.

PLONK
If you would please point out where I picked on anyone I would love to see
it, and where did I tell anyone what they could post?
Diana

Old August 23rd 04, 09:30 PM
Boca Jan

I love coming here to learn about quilting and hearing all the questions,
problems, solutions and general good humor bantor about mostly quilting and
sometimes everything else.

One of my problems is not knowing where to go to have a quilt machine
quilted. I felt it was appropriate to make a list of people who do this or
who would do this as time allows. That way, anyone else having this same
problem could fine someone off the list simply by posting a request for the
list. Of course it would be sent under personal email.

Anyway, I am not taking this rant personally. I hope it wasn't directed at
any of my posts. I look at this list as manageable as my television set. If
there is something I don't want to read I just don't follow the thread. It
is easy enough to delete or mark as read.

As every group of people, especially women, a place to talk is wonderful.
Women (and a few men) enjoy the company and the opportunity to share with
others. I am sorry if anyone was driven away by a few with unflexible
notions of what a group should do/be. That is the most unfortunate ending of
this discussion.

Just my opinion - you can have yours
Boca Jan

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
WOW. Guess there are quilt police after all. Apparently you think you
speak for all of us. As for the advertising--occasionally someone steps

up
and does it. You obviously have made no mistakes! The tone of this group
is taking a definite turn to turn against anyone who makes the slightest
mistake. When someone is looking for a particular fabric, etc. I guess we
shouldn't tell them where they might find it, since that would be

considered
advertising for a particular shop
It's too bad you don't consider this a cyber quilting bee. This has

been
talked about many times, that basically this is what it is. Guess you're
happy on your pedestal.
Gen

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
.
[...]

header it is as if we have excused ourselves to the little room over

Old August 23rd 04, 09:40 PM
Yasmine17796

Thank you for writing this. I agree whole heartedly. It's always dismaying to
see someone appoint themselves as moderator but it's the price we pay for
having an open group where all are welcome. Quilters come in all shape and
sizes and apparently in maturity levels as well. It's amazing we all get along
as well as we do. :-)

Old August 23rd 04, 09:41 PM
Diana Curtis

I LOVE the idea of the list! I want the list, I hope the list is quite
useful to anyone who needs a quilt done, or who is having a business doing
that. I think you offered a great solution to the no-ads dilemma.
My rant wasnt directed at you, or anyone, or should I say, it was directed
to everyone. I hoped, not for name calling and anger but introspection. I
know some people understood that and feel badly for those who felt I was
attacking them. They cant know me well if they think I would stoop to a
personal attack.
It would be a waste of my time to think I can tell anyone what to post. I
have no power. I'm not going to spend my time reporting abusers to their
isps. It doesnt work. Just note Poopy Wiz to see how effective that is.
Thank you Jan for your understanding. Please post to the group as soon as
you have a working list compiled. I know there are many people who would be
grateful to have it.
Hugs
Diana

. ..

Old August 23rd 04, 10:05 PM
Sharon Harper

Wait a minute Debbie! Honestly I'm gone one day and things got to a sale in
a sewing basket! Please don't crack it and run away. I'm sure everyone is
getting het up over nothing. Please stay?

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

"Debbie" wrote in message
We all talk about this group as if it is a cyber quilting bee. It isnt.

It
is a quilting lesson, ongoing and dynamic. They are lessons we each pay

for.
Some pay more, some pay less, but dang it, we all pay to be here.

Rant, ad nauseum, snipped to save space.

Some people just can't let things go can they? Since I'm the offending

party,
I'll just leave. This continuous whining on the subject has become

offensive
in itself and has taken up far more time and space than my simple "I do

that"
post. Good bye & happy quilting.

Old August 23rd 04, 10:15 PM
Sharon Harper

Do we get pictures?? Huh? Do we?? We'd like too - after all we all come
here to drool over other peoples stuff, why else would we threaten stash
raids.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia (who understood the meaning behind Diana's
original post and supports her completely)

Old August 23rd 04, 10:30 PM
Diana Curtis

LOL I need a few more squares yet, then of course, Id love to share it. Its
wonderful how the old and the new squares kind of meld together, not
invisibly but wonderfully... old friends, new friends....
You may recognize one square in particular, a lovely koala snuggling a
heart. :-)
There might be a picture of its former incarnation on the yahoo pages I
have... if not Ill be sure to post that as well as its new form soon.
Diana

u...