Apple Pattern Help

Old October 10th 05, 05:36 PM

Default Apple Pattern Help

At my local craft shop there is a little display of stuffed fabric
applies. They are made with five or six pieces(like the ones used to
cover styrofoam balls), then stuffed. Cinnamon stick inserted in the
top forms the stem, and a little quilted leaf is attached. The pattern
apparently was in an old magazine (perhaps 10 years ago). I am
thinking that the shape of the pieces has to be somewhat different
(perhaps elongated somehow) in order to achieve the apple shape (not
round).

Anyway, sort story made long, does anyone have instructions for this
apple, or can you point me toward it. I've googled, but am not having
much luck (lots of recipes for stuffed apples that sound delicious,
though!) Please help if you can. Thank you.

Old October 10th 05, 06:32 PM
Johanna Gibson

On 10 Oct 2005 09:36:45 -0700, wrote:

At my local craft shop there is a little display of stuffed fabric
applies. They are made with five or six pieces(like the ones used to
cover styrofoam balls), then stuffed. Cinnamon stick inserted in the
top forms the stem, and a little quilted leaf is attached. The pattern
apparently was in an old magazine (perhaps 10 years ago). I am
thinking that the shape of the pieces has to be somewhat different
(perhaps elongated somehow) in order to achieve the apple shape (not
round).

Anyway, sort story made long, does anyone have instructions for this
apple, or can you point me toward it. I've googled, but am not having
much luck (lots of recipes for stuffed apples that sound delicious,
though!) Please help if you can. Thank you.

Okay, I have no stuffed apple experience, but I did do a little
stuffed pumpkin a few years ago. I wanted to try out how hard it was
to sew ellipses together and get a ball. Instead of doing a beach
ball or something, I sewed 4 orange ellipses together, used a little
roll of green velvet for the stem, then appliqued black velvet bits on
for the eyes, nose and mouth. It came out pretty cute and for a while
the cat kept stealing it.
So my ellipses for the pumpkin were drawn by first a) drawing a
straight line on a piece of paper with a ruler and then b) taking a
plate and tracing around a bit of it until it hit the straight line on
each side, and then turning the plate around to make the pointed oval
shape. If you can follow that.... I used various plates, until I
finally got a nice fat pointed oval (like the shape you use in a
Double Wedding Ring or a Glorified Nine Patch, so you could use that
Melon shape if you already have a template). For my pumpkin, I used 4
fat ones but of course you could use 6 thinner ones.
Now for an apple, I would take my "pointed oval shape", aka Melon
patch, and make it a bit thinner on the bottom and a bit fatter at the
top, so that your apple is bigger at the top and narrower at the
bottom and doesn't look as round as a beach ball.
That is what I would do, but I already have a test pumpkin, and I
don't know how clear my explanation was. If you can get your hands on
small beach ball, take it apart or look at it closely. You'll see how
the 6 Melon patches/pointed ovals go together, and be able to adapt
your own.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 10th 05, 07:26 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
here's a pattern for a felt apple:
http://www.rusticprimitives.com/ApplesPattern.htm

You can improvise w/ the cinnamon stick
and make a little leaf.

Depending on the color of the fabric/felt, you could
make a tomato, pumpkin, apple, pomegranite, orange,
grapefruit-- etc.. ;-D

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

oups.com...

Old October 10th 05, 08:20 PM
Jennifer

In article .com,
says...
At my local craft shop there is a little display of stuffed fabric
applies. They are made with five or six pieces(like the ones used to
cover styrofoam balls), then stuffed. Cinnamon stick inserted in the
top forms the stem, and a little quilted leaf is attached. The pattern
apparently was in an old magazine (perhaps 10 years ago). I am
thinking that the shape of the pieces has to be somewhat different
(perhaps elongated somehow) in order to achieve the apple shape (not
round).

Anyway, sort story made long, does anyone have instructions for this
apple, or can you point me toward it. I've googled, but am not having
much luck (lots of recipes for stuffed apples that sound delicious,
though!) Please help if you can. Thank you.

This was posted by another RTCQ'er long ago...I put her name in the
post.
"The fabric apples pattern is a fan-like piece 10 l/2" wide at top, and
5l/2" at the bottom, 6" high. Fold fabric in half and sew the straight
edges together, creating a tumbler shape. With needle and strong thread,
make running stitch around bottom and draw shut. Stuff with a large
handful of poly fluff. Sew running stitch around top and draw tightly.
Using thread and long needle, sew straight thru top to bottom, then
bottom to top in center to draw into an apple shape and knot. Bond two
green fabrics together, and cut leaves. (Pointed oval 1"X2") and sew or
hot glue to center top. Add 2" grapevine stems with hot glue. Red apples
are pretty (I used corduroy, cotton prints) yellow apples look happy (
gold/white seersucker and yellow prints) and green apples (cream/green
stripes looked great!) Happy Stitching, and don't make applesauce!
Nancycog in MD"

Regards,
Jennifer
Edmonton Alberta
Old October 10th 05, 08:36 PM

These are all wonderful suggestions, and I do believe that I will be a
busy girl in the next little while. I always make a Christmas ornament
for my nieces and nephew, and I think two or three apples would look
nice hanging on a tree. Thank you all. Megan

Old October 10th 05, 11:17 PM

My Guild made apples to sell last year. We cut fan shapes, about six
inches high by eight inches wide, sewed into a tube, ran a running
stitch on both edges, and gathered to an apple shape. Stuff with a
little batting, and run a thread from center bottom to center top to
shape.Hot glue a stick (cinnamon or tree) in the center, and add a leaf
(two green fabrics fused together or felt). They were green, red, and
yellow, and sold like hot cakes. I showed mine in fabric bowls. (They
sold, too!) Nancycog in MD

Old October 10th 05, 11:19 PM

Thanks, Jennifer, I didn't remember posting this before. Got the
measurements a little wrong, but the idea is the same. Nancycog in MD

Old October 11th 05, 11:06 PM
nzlstar*

http://tinyurl.com/96afm
found this pumpkin pattern on joanns site today.
might be useful to work out how to do an apple.
hth,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

Child's hat pattern M. Burwell Yarn 6 July 1st 04 05:25 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
New FREE downloadable PMP 4 crossstitch pattern "Country Kitchen" available :O))) Misty Needlework 0 March 14th 04 12:54 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 12:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 08:36 PM