The reports of my demise are highly exaggerated!

Old September 10th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Default The reports of my demise are highly exaggerated!

I'm ok, really, but I now know what a heart attack feels like - but it
wasn't one.

3:30am on 8/30 I wake with a horrible pain in my left shoulder. Figured I
turned wrong in bed; took some Aleve and went back to bed. Meds worked
great. Had coffee and toast for breakfast.
Noon that day, the pain returns. Took more Aleve and it went away. Went
about my daily chores. Skipped lunch.
6:30pm the pain returned with a vengeance; took more Aleve - I know, I know,
should have known I had taken too much already. I doubled over with chest
pain and difficulty breathing. Listening to my body and knowing that women
may have different symptoms of heart attacks, I take a baby aspirin and call
my DH from downstairs who was fixing dinner. He calls 911. We had our 5 yo
grandson with us and I didn't want him to see me in that kind of distress
but he said "Nana, when you have pain, you have pain". Gotta love the
young'ns!

Two police cars, and EMT unit and an ambulance arrive within minutes. My
life was no longer my own from then on. IV lines were started, cardiac
monitors hooked up, nitroglycerine sprayed under my tongue. Pain
diminishes.

Arrive at the ER and pushed to the head of the line. More IV lines, more
monitors, chest x-rays, more nitro. Blood draws too. Have I ever told you
I don't tolerate needles very well?

Shoulder pain returns full force - more nitro, pain diminished. They need
to monitor my enzymes overnight so I am admitted to the cardiac care unit.
Blood draws every 3 hours (felt like one of my pincushions in my quilting
room - see and you thought it was going to be an OT post!); vitals every 2
hours since nitro lowers blood pressure big time and I am on the low side on
a normal day. Blood draws can't be taken from one of my lines. Still no
food since breakfast.

Enzymes keep coming up normal. I sleep some but scared about what is going
on. I had several EKGs, an echo-cardiogram, a stress test with and without
thallium. All tests are negative - no cardiac issues. Finally get to eat
a light lunch at 4 pm - almost 32 hours since my last meal - boy was I
famished!

So I used some of my root cause analysis skills from my job. The popular
opinion is that I had a severe case of stress-induced gastritis. The stress
built up until it focused itself in my shoulder. The meds taken to relieve
that pain caused the gastritis. I was feeling pretty good by late afternoon
and was discharged around 6:30 that night and was feeling good as new by the
following morning and after a good nights sleep in my own bed. I had a
follow up with my doctor the following day since I had a trip to my mom's in
Florida planned and really felt well enough to go. He cleared me for
travel. I was given some lidocaine patches just in case and was told to
limit the meds - and the stress. I left with my DH and 5 yo grandson the
following day for Florida and felt great - until..........I received some
bad news from the vet about my sweet Kirby (found the cause of his unending
itching and biting was ringworm). That set off the stress meter once again
and knocked me off my feet for the next 30 hours. But now I knew how to
treat it - a lidocaine patch, some light food in my stomach at all times and
happy thoughts. So far (knock wood), that has worked. Of course, I go back
to work tomorrow.......

I will continue to listen to my body but I am really glad it was not a heart
attack - I would not wish that pain on my worst enemy! I think I need some
quilting therapy!

--
Alice in NJ
"Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends

Old September 10th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

I am SO glad you are all right!!! Hope the rest of your visit to Florida is
uneventful!
Barbara in C
"

Old September 10th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_2_]

So glad it wasn't a heart attack. But not so pleased about the stress
symptoms.
Prayers for a less stressful life and hope your furbaby gets well quickly.
--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Old September 10th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Golly, that is a scary story Alice. A lot of that sounds similar to
the heart attack ordeal with DH with less good ending. (still pretty
good thankfully though)
I hope you are able to learn to work with dealing in an easier way
with the stress (or better yet avoiding it)
Big hugs to you,
Taria , that grand son of yours is a gem!

Old September 10th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly[_2_]

Alice...similar happened to my mom Thursday night/all day Friday (about 5
days ago). I found out on my way home from work Friday and ended up sitting
with her in the ER till 1 a.m. DS fed and took care of her dogs once he got
home from school. Relieved to find out it was probably anxiety.

All that is to say, I'm glad it wasn't a heart attack. Take care of
yourself!

Dragonfly (Pam)

Old September 10th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Glad you are OK. Hope the rest of your Florida trip is uneventful!
Barbara in SC

Old September 10th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

so glad they figured it out for you and its not the heart acting silly.
after reading all that you went thru i've decided when it happens to me i
wont bother calling for help.
i dont want to go thru all that.
my heart is not good, i know that.
my father dragged it out for 8yrs and that was not good to see and he only
got worse thru those yrs.
i'd rather go fast and be done with it. fast is also easier for those left
behind to deal with i think.
j.

"AliceW" wrote ...

Old September 10th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Alice you must have been terrified! I'm so glad it wasn't a heart
attack. Personal experience -- I had a similar experience. After all
the heart tests, etc, they sent me to a gastro dr. who very quickly
diagnosed severe Gastro Reflux. A steady "diet" of "the purple pill"
and no more burritos made me a much more comfortable woman. I have to
be careful and now I know the early symptoms and put myself on over
the counter Prilosec for two weeks. That does the trick. Ask your
doctor about reflux. It's brought on by stress and lots of other
things.

Sunny
Old September 10th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 9, 6:30*pm, "AliceW" wrote:
[...]

Alice, I don't want to worry you further, or worry you needlessly, but
I want to
tell you what happened to me eight years ago. I had severe jaw pain,
then
chest pain. Almost the same as your story. I had an electrocardiogram,
thalium test, ultrasound, X-rays, perfect blood enzyme test. They
pronounced my
cardiac health fit as a fiddle, were ready to send me home.
A different cardiolgost had my doc's office fax over my most recent
electrocardiogram. There was a marked different in some T-wave or
something, and this particular cardiologst was uneasy about it.
The other docs thought it was just a gastrointestinal problem and TMJ.
After all, I was 46 years old and looked pretty darn healthy.

He made the decision to do a heart cath. The heart cath showed
severely
blocked arteries and I had to have an emergency quadruple bypass.

Now, the reason I am telling you this, is that I was under the
assumption
that since all the above testing showed *great* results, it was all
probably good.
That isn't always true. The heart cath is the only definitive way for
the docs
to see exactly what's going on with your heart.

A heart cath is higher-risk than most tests, very expensive, and they
don't like
to perform them unless they deem it absolutely necessary.

Anyway, what I am saying (and saying it badly, I'm afraid -- honest, I
don't
want to come off as a doomsayer or nagger). Just listen to your body.
If you
have symptoms that don't seem to jive with the diagnosis you were
given,
don't hesitate to report them.

If it was not for that one persistent cardiologist who disagreed with
all the other
doctors, I would not be here today.

Best of luck to you! (And I had gastritis once, and it felt so much
like a heart
attack I called the Air Evac helicopter. I apologized at the hospital
for all the drama,
and they said, "Hey. It's better to be safe than sorry. Ulcers,
gastrointestinal
problems, esophogal abraisons, gastritis -- are all things that mimic
heart
attack symptoms, and there's no way to know unless you *do* go to the
hospital.

Sherry
Old September 10th 09, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Reading about the chest pain moving to shoulder pain, etc. made me
think about what I went through last year....see, there are several
options to consider, not just hear attack......Mine ended up being a
hiatal hernia. However, I had annoying, painful chest pains, then it
moved towards my right shoulder...ended up in ER, they ran tests,
referred my to a Gastro-specialist, who ordered an endoscopy. That
wasn't loads of fun, but didn't require needles, just nasty sprays of
Lidacaine in my throat, and swallowing a tube....if you choose to do
it awake (I did because I had a previous bad reaction to Valium, and
that was the other med they were going to give me), and you have an
off-beat sense of humor, you might even start laughing during the
procedure.

Anyway, turns out that at 36, I have a lovely hiatal hernia....which
just means that the opening to my stomach is enlarged, allowing for
major acid reflux. I'm on meds for it because the doc refused to do
surgery because of my age and that of my children (apparently there
can be some issues during and after the surgery that don't prolong the
lifespan of the patient, but instead, tend to cut it shorter...never
thought that could happen). It's not a big deal really....have to cut
back on caffeine, spicy foods, smoking, oh, and the ever present "lose
weight".

Just something you might want to keep in the back of your mind if it
comes back again

Larisa