On 't' and OT (knitting and groaning)

Old December 20th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Default On 't' and OT (knitting and groaning)

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message
news
On 19 Dec 2006 16:11:38 +0200, "YarnWright"
wrote:

Hah. My MIL suggested a few weeks ago that I really ought
to buy gifts this year even though I do "beautiful
handicrafts".

I bought her a lump of coal :P

Good for you.

I'm new here ...

... and English

hi Mary! welcome. is Fran here too?

lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old December 20th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

You've all made me nervous now! This is the first year I've decided to
give my MIL (well, mother out-law actually, but that's a different
story) a hand-made gift. She's very hard to buy for because she really
has everything she needs and doesn't want for much. I'm pretty
confident she'll be lovely about it because she adores her son (and me
by proxy) but you just never know. Her taste and mine are VERY
different, but I tried to make something that I'd thought she'd like, I
just hope I've judged her taste appropriately.

My own mother on the other hand has many a hand-made present from me
and most languish in a dark corner somewhere. I'm doing working on a
large project for her upcoming significant brithday. If she isn't
appreciative, then for my own sanity it will be the last of my
creations she receives.

People just don't seem to value personal creations as they should. Love
an object or not, to know that somebody thought well enough of me to
spend hours of their time making me something is very touching. I
received a crochet shawl from a friend once, now had I made it for
myself I might have made it in a different colour, but I love it
because she spent all that time and effort on it for me - it's
beautiful for what it represents!

VP
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz

Old December 20th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Carey N. spun a FINE 'yarn':

"YarnWright" wrote in message

ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of
socks~!~ OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was
totally unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included
in her box of Christmas gifts.
Noreen
who has a monster headache.
--

Noreen,
Please don't bother sending your mother anything more hand-made. It

Now, here's some cyber-aspirin and a hug. Look on the bright side;
since you're sending a box with gifts, you're not spending Christmas
at her house, right?

TTFN,
Carey in MA

A-MEN to that!
a big ten-four, good buddy!
HUgs,
Noreen

--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.

Old December 20th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Katherine wrote:
YarnWright wrote:
ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of
socks~!~ OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was totally
unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included in her box
of Christmas gifts.
Noreen
who has a monster headache.

Noreen,
STOP giving unappreciative people your beautiful hand-crafted gifts!
THen you won't have as many headaches.

Higs,
Katherine

I agree send em to me!

Donna

Old December 20th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

WONDERFUL advice Katherine,,,
Since i am a slow knitter , i rather give it to those who really enjoy
it , not to those who will throw it into a pile under the hanging
clothes . Nore to those who nag me to make them something, i spend
time to look for their requested colors etc,,, make it to their
specifications and than , tear the front open ,,,,, I have a list of
those whom i will never ever make anything for anymore ,,,
mirjam

Old December 20th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

WOOLY ,,,,,, You are a Brave woman ,,,,,
How was that accepted,,,,
Years ago , we just had our first born, and i made her several cloth
toys. A pregnant neighbour admired the toys, thus i made a dog for her
baby when he was born . To my surprise, she said ;"don`t you have any
money ? to buy a Real Toy ? " and gave it back to me. I gave it to
another mother who loved it, and her little boy, played with it for
years.
mirjam
rote:

Old December 20th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Aha Wooly i sure wish i was as brave at the time , with my late MIL ,
She had some `special remarks ` as well.
mirjam

On 19 Dec 2006 08:49:35 -0800, "Katherine"
wrote:

LOL How hateful of her! And I wish you HAD done that. g

My MIL is the master of backhanded compliments and other "polite"
sorts of insults.

I've got a lump of coal for her, and I have a receipt to prove it's
purchased and not scrounged. I hit the most expensive jewelry store
in town and bought one of their very nice boxes. I bought a single
sheet of handmade paper to wrap the box with, and I've used bits of
dirty wool to pad the coal so it doesn't rattle in the box.

I'm tucking *all* the receipts - coal, box, paper - into the box, too.

Maybe she'll shut up now...

Old December 20th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Welcome Mary
who is English
from mirjam
who lives 2 hours by bus from the city where the first Mary lived ..

Good for you.

I'm new here ...

... and English

Mary

Old December 20th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Wow, The Other Kim !!!
How fruitful you are , i can`t knit so quickly also i sew , embroider
crochet weave Art projects , and have only the 2 hands. I am lately
quite busy repairing clothes , mainly for me, thus not much time to
knit for others.
mirjam

Noreen wrote:

ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of
socks~!~
OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was totally
unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included in her box
of
Christmas gifts.
Noreen
who has a monster headache.

So sorry about the MIL. Ungratefulness is precisely why I have only
ever made my husband one item in all the years we've been together, and
he knows it.

OTOH, this year I decided to make gifts for just about everyone else.
My family does a gift exchange with folks back home in Wisconsin, and
they all love when I get their names; they know it's gonna be something
nice and usually hand knit. This year I went one better. I made a
felted bag for one aunt Kathy (I have 3 aunts Kathy) and a wool scarf
for my uncle Gus; these are the two whose names I had. There is one
couple, my uncle Jim and aunt Kathie (this is #2, even if it's spelled
wrong g), for whom I've never made anything. I made Jim a blue wool
scarf, and I made a lacy leaf scarf for Kathie in a nice forest green.
I know everyone will love what I made them.

I made a purple and turquoise felted bag for my SIL Cyndi, the Branching
Out scarf in purple for my sister Kellie, and a jacket for my mom. I'm
currently working on a jacket for my dad, and I hope to have it done
before we do the family gift exchange around New Year's; I had to order
the yarn I wanted, and by the time the yarn was in I had misplaced the
magazine with the pattern, so I just got started on it this past
weekend. If I had more time I'd whip up another bag for my niece and
something for my brother and BIL, but they'll have to wait :-)

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom