On 't' and OT (knitting and groaning)

Old December 19th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Default On 't' and OT (knitting and groaning)

ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of socks~!~
OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was totally
unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included in her box of
Christmas gifts.
Noreen
who has a monster headache.
--

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.

Old December 19th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

YarnWright wrote:
ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of socks~!~
OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was totally
unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included in her box of
Christmas gifts.
Noreen
who has a monster headache.

Noreen,
STOP giving unappreciative people your beautiful hand-crafted gifts!
THen you won't have as many headaches.

Higs,
Katherine

Old December 19th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 19 Dec 2006 16:11:38 +0200, "YarnWright"
wrote:

Hah. My MIL suggested a few weeks ago that I really ought to buy
gifts this year even though I do "beautiful handicrafts".

I bought her a lump of coal :P
Old December 19th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

wrote:

Hah. My MIL suggested a few weeks ago that I really ought to buy
gifts this year even though I do "beautiful handicrafts".

I bought her a lump of coal :P

LOL How hateful of her! And I wish you HAD done that. g

Higs,
Katherine

Old December 19th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Erin

YarnWright skrev:

ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of socks~!~
OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was totally
unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included in her box of
Christmas gifts.
Noreen

Hej Noreen!

I stopped giving handcrafted gifts to my mother many years ago for this
same reason. I try to send my work where I *know* it will be
appreciated and mostly have succeeded. I've been touched over the years
by having friends show me things I made them 20 years or more ago and
telling me how much they *treasure* these items. That more than makes
up for ignorant comments from rude people who don't know how to accept
a gift greatfully.

Erin
(I hope this makes sense; I have the flu now and am stopped full of
over the counter meds as well!)

Old December 19th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

I'm sorry you've got a headache.

This year I made socks and scarves for all my inlaws, and my mom & dad.
I know my folks will be appreciative, but I'm pretty sure my (step)
MIL will not appreciate the Branching Out I made her. I used really
fine yarn and tried to make it as beautiful as possible. She has never
acknowledged a single gift I've given her, but I'm trying to take the
high road.

Be proud of your beautiful work, and if it upsets you so much, don't
give her the power to hurt you. IOW, don't give her your handmade
treasures.

Hugs,

Hesira

Old December 19th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"hesira" wrote in message
ps.com...

This year I made socks and scarves for all my inlaws, and my mom & dad.
I know my folks will be appreciative, but I'm pretty sure my (step)
MIL will not appreciate the Branching Out I made her. I used really
fine yarn and tried to make it as beautiful as possible. She has never
acknowledged a single gift I've given her, but I'm trying to take the
high road.

Branching Out is a gorgeous scarf. I know I wouldn't spend my precious
energy making something that beautiful for someone that ungrateful. Taking
the high road would be buying her something you think she'd use/like and
saving your energy for those who appreciate it.

I've pared down a lot on gift giving. For instance, my son and his wife
have everything they could possibly need, same with me. We ended up always
giving each other gift cards from stores. I hate that. So I suggested
really nicely that if it wouldn't hurt their feelings, could we discontinue
exchanging gifts, and it was fine with them. However, I must mention that a
few years ago she asked if I would make her an Aran sweater for Christmas.
I said I would, but at the time she asked there was no way I would finish it
in time. I explained that, and wrapped up a sleeve for her to open. I
finished the sweater in February, and she loved it. It fit beautifully, and
she still has it. She keeps it in beautiful shape and seems quite proud of
it. That's the kind of knitting I love doing. My daughter, sister and
husband all love my hand knitted socks - so they always get some as a gift.

Just my 2 cents.

Shelagh

Old December 19th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 19 Dec 2006 08:49:35 -0800, "Katherine"
wrote:

LOL How hateful of her! And I wish you HAD done that. g

My MIL is the master of backhanded compliments and other "polite"
sorts of insults.

I've got a lump of coal for her, and I have a receipt to prove it's
purchased and not scrounged. I hit the most expensive jewelry store
in town and bought one of their very nice boxes. I bought a single
sheet of handmade paper to wrap the box with, and I've used bits of
dirty wool to pad the coal so it doesn't rattle in the box.

I'm tucking *all* the receipts - coal, box, paper - into the box, too.

Maybe she'll shut up now...
Old December 19th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Noreen wrote:

ON t: I've got two shawls on the needles as well as a pair of
socks~!~
OT: I am SO upset with my ungrateful mother who was totally
unappreciative regarding a felted bag/pursette I included in her box
of
Christmas gifts.
Noreen
who has a monster headache.

So sorry about the MIL. Ungratefulness is precisely why I have only
ever made my husband one item in all the years we've been together, and
he knows it.

OTOH, this year I decided to make gifts for just about everyone else.
My family does a gift exchange with folks back home in Wisconsin, and
they all love when I get their names; they know it's gonna be something
nice and usually hand knit. This year I went one better. I made a
felted bag for one aunt Kathy (I have 3 aunts Kathy) and a wool scarf
for my uncle Gus; these are the two whose names I had. There is one
couple, my uncle Jim and aunt Kathie (this is #2, even if it's spelled
wrong g), for whom I've never made anything. I made Jim a blue wool
scarf, and I made a lacy leaf scarf for Kathie in a nice forest green.
I know everyone will love what I made them.

I made a purple and turquoise felted bag for my SIL Cyndi, the Branching
Out scarf in purple for my sister Kellie, and a jacket for my mom. I'm
currently working on a jacket for my dad, and I hope to have it done
before we do the family gift exchange around New Year's; I had to order
the yarn I wanted, and by the time the yarn was in I had misplaced the
magazine with the pattern, so I just got started on it this past
weekend. If I had more time I'd whip up another bag for my niece and
something for my brother and BIL, but they'll have to wait :-)

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom