My first tiny crochet bag, sans beads

Old May 20th 04, 09:38 PM
Candace

Default My first tiny crochet bag, sans beads

http://snipurl.com/5su3

This is my learning bag, a kind of wrist pouch. I used two hooks for it, a
*00* and a *2*. It's made with matte black, burgandy and cream colors, in a
spiral stitch. It has a double ruffle at the top edge that I laced a chain of
the black and cream thru for the drawstring. The base is about 2.25 inches
across, and it's about 3 inches tall. I just love the way the colors work
against each other. Next, I'll probably work up a mostly cream one, and that
one will have Capri Blue 4mm s. crystals adorning it, but right now, I'm just
making sure I can do the basic bag before getting it all prettified

I love exploring these new ways to use beads! One of these days, I'll find my
favorite(s) and fly!

~Candace~

Old May 20th 04, 09:53 PM
patch

Nice bag Candace... I wrote instructions for a small beaded crochet
purse...want them?

Denise

Old May 20th 04, 10:19 PM
Candace

I'd love it...but I can't read crochet patterns!
My mom taught me the basics when I was about 6 or 7, and I never needed the
skill to make much more than a couple things for costumes in school plays. I
have no idea what my stitches are called, lol. I can understand how to read
one or two stitches in a pattern, but anything beyond that throws me. I've
been looking at patterns for two weeks now, trying to decipher them, and all I
get is completely frustrated with them, LOL. Even the painstakingly step by
step animated tutorials are lost on me.

Maybe you could tell me what my most used stitch is? Forgive the technical
lingo..hehehe.

okay...I've got the chain; the foundation row. Now, for the second row, I go
thru, yarn over, only pull thru the stitch, yarn over again, and pull thru both
loops on the hook. is that picture-able?

Thank you for the compliment on my bag
The plan is to add beads after each bag is finished, rather than crochet the
beads into the bags. Have you any idea where I might find examples of that
sort of decoration?

Sorry....I'm all informationaly-retarded on this...just playing by
ear..er...finger

~Candace~

Old May 20th 04, 10:46 PM
patch

The usual stitch is single crochet. and that's what my pattern is made of.
I don't know about adding beads after the bag is made beside if you decide
to add a fringe. I guess you would just sew them one at a time, trying to
hide the sewing thread inside the bag. I don't have a web site where to
post the pattern and picture but can post it to the yahoo newsgroup. Will
do that later tonight.

Old May 20th 04, 11:19 PM
Marissa Undercofler

That is really nice Candace. It doesn't look like a first try at all or
atleast not from the point of view you showed us.

Marissa

Old May 20th 04, 11:27 PM
Candace

I'm going to use the same thread I used to make the bag to attach the beads.
So, combining that with my ability to do decorative knots (okay, the hemp was
good forsomething, I admit it, lol) I think it'll come out alright..more than
alright

I know how to do single crochet, but it never feels right for my hands to do.
Which is weird, cause it's the easiest stitch to do, right? But Mom taught me
the one I described earlier, which produces a corrugated pattern(unless you do
it in spiral, like for my bag), and it's always been easiest.

I'll take a swing by the yahoo group later on. Thanks, Denise!

Old May 20th 04, 11:33 PM
Candace

Thank you Marissa

I thought it looked decent..there aren't any holes from too-large stitches, or
threads poking out, and the colors integrated into each other well. But..I
know I can improve!!!

Old May 21st 04, 02:28 AM
patch

Go in the files of the group, a folder named Denise... you have the text and
a bad scan of the result... It's available for all to use.

Old May 21st 04, 02:38 AM
Amber

huh (Candace) wrote in message ...
[...]

You sound a lot like me. My mother taught me the basics when I was
little. I learned chain stitch, and slip stitch, and single crochet. I
can't read patterns, and other stitches that I learned (shell stitch
and chain ruffle) I figured out by myself. I did buy a couple of books
on learning how to crochet, and have since learned triple and double
crochet, but that's all I can do. Patterns still read like an alien
language to me. It's frustrating, cause it seems that the same brain
that can make sense of beadwork patterns and stitches should be able
to make sense of crochet as well. especially as I do have the basic
knowledge.

I can make hats, bags, and somewhat crooked afghans. I also make
little dolls, which are my own pattern (though I couldn't write it
down if someone asked me to). I figured out how to make them when I
was a kid, because I liked having tiny little dolls to carry around in
my pockets. They were also my introduction to selling things I've
made..I started selling them long before I tried to sell any of my
jewelry. I've never done actual beaded crochet, but I did sew beads
onto their dresses, and I've done bead embroidery using a crocheted
base.

I no longer sell them..they sold really, really well when I first
started out, but I went through a slump that lasted for months. I have
a whole big box full of ones that just didn't sell, so I gave up on
it. I barely even make them anymore, as my beadwork kind of takes up
most of my free time now.

here's a little gallery of them.
http://www.serpentsdance.com/dolls.htm

-amber.