Circular Knit Stripes

Old February 3rd 05, 06:16 AM
modiste

Default Circular Knit Stripes

First day in the group, but it looks like kindred spirits. I'm new to
knitting, and I'm working on my first circular sweater. Unfortunately, it's
horizontal stripes, and I get a little jog when I change colors. Does anyone
know how to smooth out this jog?

Old February 3rd 05, 12:28 PM
Wooly

When you come to the coloir change pick up the stitch below (the
previous color) and drop it onto the left needle with the first stitch
in the new color. Knit them together.

Put the "jog" at the underarm. It'll pass the galloping horse test.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:16:59 -0800, "modiste"
spewed forth :

Old February 3rd 05, 09:11 PM

Hi,

I'm glad you found this great group and just wanted to say welcome and
Wooly has given you great advice. Do come back and let us know how the
sweater is coming along.

Nora

Old February 3rd 05, 09:58 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "modiste"
wrote:

First day in the group, but it looks like kindred spirits. I'm new to
knitting, and I'm working on my first circular sweater. Unfortunately, it's
horizontal stripes, and I get a little jog when I change colors. Does anyone
know how to smooth out this jog?

Welcome to the group.

I would change colours, where normally you would have a side seam, nobody
would notice it there.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old February 4th 05, 12:07 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Els van Dam wrote:
wrote:

First day in the group, but it looks like kindred spirits. I'm new to
knitting, and I'm working on my first circular sweater. Unfortunately,
it's horizontal stripes, and I get a little jog when I change colors.
Does anyone know how to smooth out this jog?

I would change colours, where normally you would have a side seam,
nobody would notice it there.

Me, too.

Meg Swansen's book has a technique for smoothing out that jog. I don't
remember it exactly; I think it may be on the web somewhere. (I think she
has a website; Google might help.) I know it's also been written up in a
magazine article. Sorry to be so vague. As I recall, it isn't perfect but
if you're using wool and block it carefully, it'll pass fairly close
inspection.

=Tamar
Old February 4th 05, 07:19 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Welcome here , welcome to Seamless knitting !!!
Like Elsje and Tamar i will do it [ and have done so ] where my side
marks are !!!And Unlike my Usual knitting i DO NOT knit the two
threads together for 3 stiches , which is my usual way of adding a new
thread ,.,,,and i sort of ` weave in `the thread into it`s own color.
mirjam

I would change colours, where normally you would have a side seam,