Thank You Mystery Knitter, and yes, i'm still alive

Old April 23rd 04, 07:41 PM
Katherine

enigma wrote:

actually, i've seen studies that indicate that babies
normally get thier introduction to local cuisine flavors
through breastmilk. IOW, a toddler from India is already 'used
to' the flavors of curries, etc because hir breastmilk already
contained those flavors, while a toddler from Iowa may very
well reject Indian food because they aren't used to the
flavor. i used this to explain why my 10 month old was
sloshing green Tobasco on everything...

LOL

Katherine

Old April 23rd 04, 11:56 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Ranee
Mueller wrote:

In article ,
(Els van Dam) wrote:

It may be wise to be prudent with the unions while breast feeding, that is
one of the things that will give our little grand baby colick. The public
Health nurse named unions as one of the first things to eliminate from
your diet when breast feeding and having a colicky baby. The same nurse
also mentioned reflux happens in babies as well. she told Michelle that
if that was the problem it would disappear give it time.

With all due respect, this is one of those old wives tales. Onions
may cause problems, but so may anything else. It is usually better to
keep eating as normal unless you find that there is something that
causes a problem. I ate hot peppers, onions, garlic, cabbage,
everything you can think of while nursing all the boys (and now Amira)
and the only thing to ever cause any trouble for any of them was turkey
with Alexander for about 3 months. After 3 months, it didn't bother him
any more. I figured something about his system needed to mature.

I don't think that women in India, China or wherever simply stop
eating their national dishes because they are worried that onions or
whatever will harm their nursing babies.

Regards,
Ranee

Hello Ranee,

You are lucky that you did not have any problems with stomach upsets, and
throwing up babies, and above all crying and screaming babies, because
they suffered from colick. By the way so was I, I had never any problems
while our children were babies.

However that does not mean that all babies born have no colick problems.
When you have a baby that cries for hours on end after feeding, it is wise
to look at what can be done about this problem, for everyone sanity.
Colick is a widespread problem and most of the time goes away when the
baby gets a bit older. Indeed very new babies have a very short digestive
system and thus not a lot of time to digest some food stuffs....indeed
even in breast milk Even so, mother and baby need their rest.

When Michelle just arrived here 4 weeks ago, little Aysia, then two months
old, would cry bitterly for long times after each breast feeding. We
would walk with her sing to her, burb her etc, not much helped.
When Michelle went to the baby clinick run by the Public Health system
here on the Island, she was told to first start with not consuming milk
that was not cooked (even though our milk is pasturized) Other sources of
problems with breast milk are indeed onions and the whole onion
family...leeks, garlack, etc . I would not call these old maid tales.
For sure when my family eats onions the reactions to this vegetable by
each of my family member are very different.....LOL. Maybe you do not
have any digestive reactions to different foods, Lucky you. Garlic for
one, as much as I love it, gives me terrible headaches.

So it is not strange at all that all what the mother eats is absorbed in
the breast milk, this by the way, also includes alcohol, and medicines.
Babies will react to what the mother eats, this is realistic knowlege
taught to new mother by their healthcare givers. Thus it is important
that the mother eats well and also drinks lots of liqueds
Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old April 23rd 04, 11:58 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Chris Bailey" wrote:

No offense, but the backwater country folk use onion tea as a remedy for
colic. It eases the stomach and helps the child relax. My mom got the
recipe from her relatives and most of them did not have a doctor around that
they could get to for every little thing. I know at least 5 generations of
my family have used it on their children and none have problems.
Chris

Chris, great that it worked for the babies in your family, but that does
not mean it will work for all babies. Each child is different.

Els

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article ,
"Chris Bailey" wrote:

It's not really a recipe but you take an onion, peeled and cut in half,

boil
it in water till the onion is soft. Add sugar, stir well, strain, cool

and
serve in the little ones bottle. Since I take it you're breastfeeding,

assume you could adjust the sugar to taste(that's all it's there for),

and
enjoy!

Chris

It may be wise to be prudent with the unions while breast feeding, that is
one of the things that will give our little grand baby colick. The public
Health nurse named unions as one of the first things to eliminate from
your diet when breast feeding and having a colicky baby. The same nurse
also mentioned reflux happens in babies as well. she told Michelle that
if that was the problem it would disappear give it time.

Hope you get the problem licked soon

Els

Old April 24th 04, 12:06 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Rannee i tottaly agree with you ,
All the countries were people eat onions and gralic and other herb we
keep doing it when feeding , on the contrary it makes one want to
drink more fluids , it is a DisInfactant herb ,,
In most Herbal books it appears as Anti-Spasmodic antiseptic,
as such it helps to end putrefactive and fermentation processes in the
gastrointestinal tract ..... and a healthier mother is better for baby
..
mirjam

I am sure that all of your are correct in that onions and garlick works
wonders for most, but that does not make it work for all. Both are very
strong vegatables. Many people I know will sidestep these two, because of
digestive problems.

Some babies will go through their first three months crying, and will be
fine after that and are called difficult babies etc. However, often it is
indeed a food problem, even when the mother is breatfeeding. And when we
listen to all the food allergies that are discussed here...... really it
is not all odd. So babies have cast iron stomachs or are difficult, but
can't have food problems....???

I have seen different with Michelle here and let me tell you a baby that
cries for hours on end is stressfull for mother and baby.

Els

In article ,
(Els van Dam) wrote:

[...]

Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old April 24th 04, 01:33 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:49:48 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

In article ,
(Els van Dam) wrote:

So saying that it nonsense to try to eliminate whatever the cause of it
all is, so baby is a happier, seems kind of mean in my book, just to be
selfrighteous about garlick or onions, or what ever it is that may cause
this problem. From personal experiences it is much nicer to have a
smiling baby than a sad and crying one. Been there done that for hours on
end in the last month

I don't think anyone was saying it was nonsense to try to eliminate
foods that could be linked to colic or were giving the baby trouble.
The point I was trying to make was that it wasn't automatically onions
(or other allium) or peppers or the other things that people usually
assume and that it doesn't make sense to eliminate those foods as a
matter of course unless you find a problem like colic with your baby.
For me, that was only turkey with our first son, and I did largely
eliminate it (though Thanksgiving was in the middle of that, and I did
eat it then).

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

I've been following this thread with interest, and now have to jump in with
a couple of 2 center's...
I know people who are NOT lactose intolerant, yet now, with ulcers, the
advice of the past, milk, milk, milk to ease the ulcers... does NOT work
for them.... it makes them *worse*.
I also know a gent of Mexican persuasion who cannot tolerate peppers,
tomatillios, etc....
Go figure, eh?.
Noreen
Change n e t to c o m to email me.
Old April 24th 04, 01:36 AM
Allaya Diep

LOL! Yes, this is true...a doc (not DD's usual pedi) told me that it might
be a soy allergy. I looked at her dumbfounded..."She's CHINESE," I said,
"If she's allergic to soy, she'll starve!" Just had to interject that
story. hehehehe (DD has no allergies, fortunately)

Allaya

Old April 24th 04, 03:09 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
snip
So it is not strange at all that all what the mother eats is absorbed
in the breast milk, this by the way, also includes alcohol, and
medicines. Babies will react to what the mother eats, this is
realistic knowlege taught to new mother by their healthcare givers.
Thus it is important that the mother eats well and also drinks lots
of liqueds

When my ALec was an infant, I could not eat cabbage, as he used to get
horrible cramps. However, I was told by my dr to drink Guinness, as he said
it would make my mild more nourishing for the baby. ALec is now 6'2", so I
guess it worked. g
Katherine

Old April 24th 04, 03:13 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:

I have seen different with Michelle here and let me tell you a baby
that cries for hours on end is stressfull for mother and baby.

Els,
That is stressful for EVERYBODY!!! Been there, done that, and don't want to
go there again! Ever!!!

Hugs,
Katherine