Best machine

Old February 28th 04, 02:57 PM
June

Default Best machine

Hi Everyone,--------- I am setting up a small part time business
making skirt and jacket suits and lbd's to order. What machine would
be best suited to this type of venture.---June
Old February 28th 04, 04:56 PM
Diana Curtis

A sewing machine?
Maybe.
Diana ;-)

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

m...

Old February 28th 04, 05:13 PM
Penny S

Diana Curtis stood on a soapbox and shouted to anyone who would
listen :
A sewing machine?
Maybe.
Diana ;-)

"June" wrote in message
m...
Hi Everyone,--------- I am setting up a small part time business
making skirt and jacket suits and lbd's to order. What machine would
be best suited to this type of venture.---June

probably a commercial straight stitch and a commericial serger

penny

Old February 28th 04, 06:27 PM
liz hall

An industrial. A domestic machine would just to to slow
Liz
m...

Old February 29th 04, 01:58 AM

Best machine

(Penny=A0S)
"June" wrote:
snip
I am setting up a small part time business making skirt and jacket
suits and lbd's to order. What machine would be best suited to this type
of venture.---June
---
probably a commercial straight stitch and a commericial serger
penny
---
Add a blindstitch machine and a good commercial iron/press to Penny's
list, and you've got a start on setting up shop. Personally, I'd go
with a semi-industrial straight stitch/zig-zag, instead of a simple
straight stitch. Singer makes a nice one, in the $1,000 range, new. Used
to have one, and sold it--wish I had the machine now.)
Cea

Old February 29th 04, 05:51 PM

Best machine

lid (BEI=A0Design)
wrote:
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Add a blindstitch machine and a good commercial
iron/press to Penny's list, and you've got a start on setting up shop.
Personally, I'd go with a semi-industrial straight stitch/zig-zag,
instead of a simple straight stitch. Singer makes a nice one, in the
$1,000 range, new. Used to have one, and sold it--wish I had
the machine now.) Cea
---
Cea, which iron/press do you recommend? I am just beginning the
research them.
Thanks, =A0=A0Beverly
---
IMHO, it depends on what you intend to do. I looked at quite a few,
and was nitter-nattering between a press or an industrial type
gravity-feed iron. I had just about set my teeth to buy a flat-bed
press, before I first became ill. Had decided, if I remember right, on a
Singer press, because I have had such good performance from Singer
machines, (unlike everyone else in the world.) I was doing a lot of
alterations, and quite a bit of cutting down men's lapels, pant hems,
etc.; I also press garments before the client picks them up. I had seen
presses at a good price in a Threads ad. Now I'd definitely want a
gravity-feed iron, for drapery and top treatments.
Here are some of the sources from the newest issue of Threads:
(Threads mag is my source for finding suppliers for a lot of sewing
items.)
This looks interesting for starters:
www.shoppersrule.com , 'Everything For Sewers, you pick the item and
then pick the price' ;
allsewing.com;
www.sewandserge.com;
wwwsewvacdirect.com
You might want to check to see if Threads has published an article
comparing the performance/abilities of presses, as they do with sewing
machines.
HTH. Cea

Old February 29th 04, 08:38 PM
BEI Design

Hi Cea,

wrote:
---
IMHO, it depends on what you intend to do. I looked at quite a
few, and was nitter-nattering between a press or an industrial type
gravity-feed iron. I had just about set my teeth to buy a flat-bed
press, before I first became ill. Had decided, if I remember right,
on a Singer press, because I have had such good performance from
Singer machines, (unlike everyone else in the world.)

I agree, but then my Singers are all circa 1960-65. ;-) I have been
looking at the Singer CSP-1 steam press, I really like the ability on
that one to turn the bed 90 degrees for pass-through pressing. In the
very near future, I will be making a kilt for my granddaughter, who is
getting very involved with highland dance. I think a press would set
the pleats much better than anything I could do with my Rowenta.

Here are some of the sources from the newest issue of Threads:
(Threads mag is my source for finding suppliers for a lot of sewing
items.)
This looks interesting for starters:
www.shoppersrule.com , 'Everything For Sewers, you pick the item and
then pick the price' ;
www.allsewing.com;
www.sewandserge.com;
www.sewvacdirect.com

Thanks so much those are all bookmarked.

You might want to check to see if Threads has published an
article comparing the performance/abilities of presses, as they do
with sewing machines.

Will do, again thank you for the information and links.

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 2 January 24th 05 07:57 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
FAQ for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 5 March 1st 04 06:45 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM