What was your first quilting project ?

Old November 16th 03, 01:23 AM
Frosty772

Default What was your first quilting project ?

I thought it would be interesting to hear what was the first quilt you made.

What block did you choose?

What size was it (wall hanging, lap size or a bed quilt)

What mistakes did you make (I only ask cause im working on my first quilt and
its nice to know some of the mistakes in mine are commonly done in beginner
quilts. Im doing a shoo-fly with a scalloped edge/boarder. I put the block in
a diamond pattern and put the scallops in the triangle areas. Unfortunatley my
blocks are a bit uneven and my points in some areas dont match up. I used
sissors to cut out the blocks and am blaming it on that lol (have since gotten
a cutting mat and big ruler AFTER everything was cut up so my next one is gonna
be awesome).

Tammy

Old November 16th 03, 01:34 AM
frood

I can't remember if I finished the quilt for my Miss Fussy Rose first, or
the one for my best friend, who was having a baby at the same time. Blame it
on baby brain!

However, both quilts were composed of squares, around 5" inches. The one for
my friend's baby was done in purples, teals and black (those where the
colors requested for nursery stuff), and set in a Trip Around the World
Pattern. I'd seen one in Amish bright colors on a magazine, and thought that
looked pretty. I don't know that I made any mistakes, but I did cut out each
square individually, and set them one at a time, instead of using strip
piecing or other time-saving methods. I used poly batting (something I don't
do anymore - I prefer other batts), and tied it. It had a purple flannel
backing, and I still use flannel for backs on most baby quilts I make.

Miss Fussy Rose's quilt is also plain squares, set in diagonal rows - no
particular pattern, just to look pretty. Also tied, also poly batting, but
plain cotton backing. I did have to baste it on the floor while 8 months
pregnant, and I learned never to do that again! ;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old November 16th 03, 01:41 AM
Jan Dunaway

wall hanging... log cabin hearts.... everything looked fine until a
couple months down the line... kept staring at it.... had two fabric
pieces reversed in one out of four squares.... and I'm probably the only
one who notices. :-) I often do a wall hanging first of a project and
then do a full size quilt. I find it an easier/cheaper/faster way to
learn my mistakes. :-)

Jan

Old November 16th 03, 01:51 AM
Diana In Dallas

A queen size quilt made from 12 inch nine patch blocks. Simple you say well
I never do things the simple way. The middle of each 12 inch nine patch
block was a three inch nine patch. (The little squares were less than a inch
so my sewing machine kept eating them.)
What did I do wrong .....
-Well I bought my fabrics from the remnant binds at
Walmart, Joanns, and hancocks.
-Cotton fabrics, poly fabrics even upholstery fabrics and there are a few
handed down fabrics from my mother , my MIL and my DH's grandmother.
-Also I didn't know about the 1/4 inch seam, mine were more like 3/4 seams.
-Straight stitched then zigzagged just to make sure they held.g
-The quilting well I thought I was stitching in the ditch, I don't drink
but I certainly drive a sewing machine like a drunk.
-Did I mention I used pinking shears to cut out some of my squares, I had
heard
it helped keep the fabric from raveling.
Needless to say the quilt got finished and has been in the place of honor on
our bed until recently when it started to fall apart.

Diana in Dallas

Old November 16th 03, 01:55 AM
Butterfly

Nine-patch....in pinks.
Can't remember if *I* finished it or not--but back then quilts were
finished cause they were 'used' and I do remember helping my Aunt cut
out squares from 'well-worn clothing' using the cardboard template and
scissors--allowed to use the 'good scissors' when my Aunt was over but
NOT allowed to touch them when she wasn't.
Sat on my Great Aunts lap while she pedaled the Treadle....I was too
small to reach the pedals.
Was 5 years old at the time and just had my tonsils out--back then you
did nothing for 6 weeks but laze round and eat ice cream and drink
'flat' 7-Up. So my Great Aunts would come over in the afternoon: one
taught me how to quilt whilst the other taught my older sis (7--she had
hers out at the same time) how to embroider.
Been hooked on quilting/sewing/needlework ever since : )
Butterfly (thanks for bringing back a super memory)

Old November 16th 03, 02:01 AM
Teresa in Colorado

See below...
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Frosty772" wrote in message
I thought it would be interesting to hear what was the first quilt you

made.

What block did you choose?

Ohio Star - very appropriate - I was born in Ohio.

What size was it (wall hanging, lap size or a bed quilt)

Baby Quilt - gave it to DD#2 who was 9 months old at the time (she will be
18 in less than a month).

What mistakes did you make (I only ask cause im working on my first quilt

and
its nice to know some of the mistakes in mine are commonly done in

beginner

I matched the fabric too closely - it was the most boring quilt I've ever
seen. :-)
I was so proud when I put my first block together - held it up for the class
to see and they all burst out laughing. I'd turned on of the pieces 90
degrees - so part of my star wasn't a star.
I quilted it by machine on my featherweight. Featherweights just don'take
to quilting very well - they are "toppers", I guess, just like some of us.
At any rate, there were big tucks in the back all over the place.
That's all ok - DD#2 loved it to death - literally.

You also should have asked what became of the first quilt. Here's my
answer...

Last Christmas, after she asked me what we could do to help this ragged
quilt, I took it to a wonderful friend who made a teddy bear out of it. She
took the best pieces and made a beat. He has a little pocket by his heart,
complete with a little bitty heart button closure.

I put it on top of DD#2s presents on Christmas hand held my breath - it was
a risky thing to do (and a very difficult decision!). DD#2 looked at the
bear for a second and then looked at me....
and smiled. She loves her bear.

It is a difficult thing, to make something new out of a well loved or well
used quilt, but this one truly could not be fixed. Now she has a beautiful
bear.

I have the scraps that are left over. I'm thinking of doing something tiny
for me and saving a piece for her "something old" at her wedding.

Teresa in Colorado

Old November 16th 03, 02:21 AM
Laura Bartl

Log cabin lap quilt - http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/quilts1.htm

I had a great time with the fabrics, the colors. My mom thought I was crazy
when we went shopping but liked the results.

Mistakes? Hmm, lots and I left them in there. I'm not a block
squarer-offer. My binding is too tight in some areas, and I've learned from
making that mistake a few too many times that *for me* I need 3" strips for
binding because I'm also not terribly obsessed with being exact in my seams
and a thread here, a thread there makes anything less than a 3" strip a real
pain when I'm whip stitching the backside. Hmm, sounds like a good book
title "Whip Stitching the Backside" ;-)
--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

Old November 16th 03, 02:40 AM
Denise G.

My first quilt was made in August, 2002. It was 4"blocks in the Around
the World pattern. Some blocks had cows, some had lady bugs, and some
had farm implements. It came out kind of cute, so I kept it. It was a
little bigger than lap size. The only thing I hated about it was laying
it out on the floor to pin. Totally messed my back up for weeks, now I
have a design wall. In the year since, I finished my first one, I have
now made 10 quilts, including 4 bed size.

Denise in NH

Old November 16th 03, 02:44 AM

My first quilt was a queen sized patchwork of blue and white four inch
squares, each marked around a cardboard template and cut with scissors.
Being used to garment sewing, I carefully pressed open my 5/8" seams.
Mother's church group quilted it for me. Still have it and use it, even
though a lot has faded. The cotton/poly fabrics were the cheapest I
could find at the time. It was a good learning experience.BTW I found a
guild in my area. First meeting is next Monday night. Nancycog in MD

Old November 16th 03, 02:56 AM
Joanna

My first quilt was a quit panel of a clown, baby size. It had lots of
bright red and other bright colors as well. I thought it had to have
ruffles on it. Didn't all baby quilts have ruffles?? No, but I didn't
know that. So I did it by hand and cursed at it a lot. I usued poly
batting, and only quilted around the clown. Didn't know you had to
actually do so much quilting so the batting doesn't bunch up in spots
after washing, and it did. The child that inherited that quilt though is
now 6 yrs old and still won't give it up. It's in good shape except the
bunching of the batting and I laugh every time I see it but it still
brings her joy so I don't feel so bad.

I try now to use fabric like cheap one sided fleece or anything I can as
batting so I can quilt how I want and not have to worry. I love it cuz I
make mine to be used and the more they get used the happier it makes me.
I have also never made another baby blanket with ruffles on it. Now I
know you can buy pre-made ruffles. The things I've learned since the
internet have actually encouraged me to continue learning. If I didn't
have this group I probably would have given up quilting after the second
one.
Take Care
Joanna
remove quilt to reply