Eyes getting older

Old July 16th 03, 05:57 AM
Loren in Seattle

Default Eyes getting older

It's official, my eyes are starting to go. Trying to trim some HST's for a
friendship block for my guild, I realized that the green fabric is exactly
Olfa green and blends perfectly into my cutting mat. Adding insult to
injury, the finished size of these little guys is 2 1/8". I cannot see the
edge of the fabric under my ruler to save my life. Lucky for me I
remembered I have a June Tailor cut & press which has a gray mat or I would
be doomed.

For all of those who have always had bad vision, and anyone older enough
than me that they are just laughing at my plight, I am sympathetic. I grew
up with pretty good vision and didn't get my first glasses until my late
30's. Now I get to gloat as DH, who has always had better than 20/20 has to
sometimes look for the "sweet spot" to read really small print. Woe to eyes
over 40.
--
Loren in Seattle

Old July 16th 03, 06:58 AM
grbev

All A Dollar reading glasses are the best. My husband and I have them
everywhere. Sometimes when threading my sewing machine needle, I find that
if I place a small white card behind the needle, I can see the eye hole
better.

From Utah,

Bev

Old July 16th 03, 10:07 AM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome to Bifocal Denial. This thing with the triangles is the real, true,
genuine reason why I make them a bit too large and trim down -much easier to
get them accurate with the Bias Square. And it might be the true reason why
my colors are getting brighter -easier to see the suckers against the mat
:-)

DH is 7 years older than I, and we are now into retro gloating. I used to
gloat about his 1st reading glasses, now I could wear them (if they fit my
head) so he's gloating. But in a gentlemanly fashion -we've been married
long enough so he knows where not to cross the line!
Roberta in D

Old July 16th 03, 05:38 PM
Lisa Ellis

My sister is my optometrist. She was positively gleeful when she prescribed my
first pair of bifocals. As she is only 15 months younger than me, she should
have known that my needing them was just a signal to her that she would need
them soon . . .

lisae

Old July 16th 03, 06:33 PM
teleflora

"Loren in Seattle" wrote in message

For all of those who have always had bad vision, and anyone older enough
than me that they are just laughing at my plight, I am sympathetic. I

grew
up with pretty good vision and didn't get my first glasses until my late
30's. Now I get to gloat as DH, who has always had better than 20/20 has

sometimes look for the "sweet spot" to read really small print. Woe to

eyes
over 40.
--

My DH seriously accused me of putting lower wattage bulbs in all the lamps.
He was mightily offended that he was losing his eyesight. His distance

Cindy

Old July 16th 03, 06:48 PM
Helen Howes

I didn't even know I was shortsighted till I was 19- just assumed that
the world was meant to be fuzzy. Getting glasses was ruinously bad
for me- I had to give up painting- couldn't deal with the amount of
detail in the world. At that age my usable eyesight finished about 2
inches from the eyeball. Lately I have found, to my horror, that the
bit at bent-arms-length- you know, the bit where the needle is, has
become available without glasses. Unfortunately, the rest of the
world is still missing if I take them off. I thread a needle (hand or
machine) maybe a hundred times a day. Have had to learn to do it by
touch.......
aaaargh!

Helen
Old July 16th 03, 07:03 PM
dogmom

It's nice to know those green mats drive someone else nuts, too. For an
industry so affected by contrast, wouldn'tcha think *every* cutting mat
would have a light and a dark side? As for glasses...I hate to think how
much of my life is spent hunting for them. Unlike my car, they're not as
good about showing up when I whistle for them...

Dogmom
.. .

Old July 16th 03, 11:39 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , teleflora
writes
My DH seriously accused me of putting lower wattage bulbs in all the lamps.
He was mightily offended that he was losing his eyesight.

Hey, my DH accused me of running the washing machine too hot and
shrinking all his trousers. It couldn't have anything to do with all the
pizza and beer. Oh no.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old July 16th 03, 11:51 PM
Jmgreenfld

This is such a great idea! I wonder if there is a company out there that
produces two-color reversible mats? I'd love one! Or two....or one in each
size!

-JoyceG in WA

Old July 17th 03, 03:26 AM
teleflora

"Mel Rimmer" wrote in message
In article , teleflora
writes
My DH seriously accused me of putting lower wattage bulbs in all the

lamps.
He was mightily offended that he was losing his eyesight.

Hey, my DH accused me of running the washing machine too hot and
shrinking all his trousers. It couldn't have anything to do with all the
pizza and beer. Oh no.
--

Well, I didn't know that pants got shorter when the person wearing them got
wider. I thought my legs grew!

Cindy