nippers - which?

Old February 25th 04, 07:59 AM
Robert

Default nippers - which?

Many posters here have said that they find nippers (or thread clippers?)
indispensible when sewing. I am trying to find a pair. I want them to be
small, light, plastic-handled and of good quality. Is the one-finger "ear"
a useful thing? (without ever having used one I think it adds little and
makes them inevitably larger).
Besides one chain, there are virtually no needlework shops where I live in
Belgium.
Advice please - and Internet suppliers.
Thanks,
Robert

Old February 25th 04, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:59:13 +0100, Robert wrote:
Many posters here have said that they find nippers (or thread clippers?)
indispensible when sewing. I am trying to find a pair. I want them to be
small, light, plastic-handled and of good quality. Is the one-finger "ear"

I prefer the metal sort that look like this:
http://www.artbeads.com/tool-111.html, as they're useable no matter how I
pick them up. I don't sew with snips in hand, so I see no reason for a
finger loop.

If I were doing lots of machine embroidery, I'd probably like this style
better: http://www.thecalicocat.com/notions-scissors.htm (easy-kut)

I've had a couple of pair of plastic handled snips, one rather expensive,
and both have suffered from plastic fatigue before too many years.

Kay Lancaster

Old February 26th 04, 12:20 AM
Valkyrie

"Robert" wrote in message
Many posters here have said that they find nippers (or thread clippers?)
indispensible when sewing. I am trying to find a pair.

I do fly tying and the little razor sharp nippers that I bought for that
work better than any I've seen and tried for sewing.

Val

Old February 26th 04, 09:08 AM
Robert

Well, that is a new avenue to explore!!
What are they like?
R.

Old February 26th 04, 09:15 AM
Robert

Thanks for the advice, Kay.
Your preferred type could not be simpler.
BTW Artbeads won't sell many Easy Kut scissors in Dutch-spreaking areas!
R.

Old February 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Valkyrie

On page two of the scissors the picture looks like the nippers I use:

http://www.drslick.com/products_scissors2.asp

I have the larger ones with the thumb hole I got from Orvis but I use the
smaller 4" nippers the most. I also keep a little cork to put over the tips
when I'm not using them.......they are SHARP!!! I didn't buy them off this
site, I got them in a fly fishing shop in Montana. If you have a shop near
by check them out, otherwise just look for fly tying tools on the internet

Val