OT - freecycle and car seats

Old July 20th 05, 11:19 PM
frood

Default OT - freecycle and car seats

I now have a pair of car seats that I no longer need. Spike and Giles just
moved up to booster seats. They are 5 years old, but I swear on my fabric
stash that they have never been in a car accident, not even a fender bender.
Can I offer these on freecycle? If not, what am I supposed to do with them?
They are a major brand, and were top-of-the-line when purchased.

Can you believe the girls are going to be 5 in 3 weeks?

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old July 21st 05, 12:29 AM
maryd

I've seen car seats offered with the notation that they had not been in an
accident but it may be up to the moderator of your freecycle group.

--
Mary

om...
:
: Can you believe the girls are going to be 5 in 3 weeks?
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm

Old July 21st 05, 02:41 AM
Sherry Starr

I don't know anything about freecycle, but you might want to offer them to
your local police department or hospital.

Sherry Starr

om...

Old July 21st 05, 02:46 AM
frood

The safety standards are so strict, I doubt if they'd take them. I mean, you
guys understand that I wouldn't swear on my stash unless I meant it, but
they don't. There is no way to prove they have not been in an accident.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Sherry Starr" wrote in message
I don't know anything about freecycle, but you might want to offer them to
your local police department or hospital.

Sherry Starr

om...

Old July 21st 05, 07:56 AM
Morag in Oxford

Here in the UK there is talk of banning the sale of second hand car seats -
you will only be able to use second hand if it comes from someone in the
family or a friend - i.e. you know the history. I'm sure there will be
someone who would take your car seat and use it but personally I wouldn't
risk using ANY second hand seat. I'm sure you're very trustworthy as are
the majority of people, but with something like a car seat that is so
important I'd rather spend the extra and get new, for peace of mind.
Morag

om...

Old July 21st 05, 07:43 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

absolutely - someone will be delighted to have those.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
om...

Old July 21st 05, 07:52 PM
Kim E

Isn't there a Mothers of Twins group around you? (I think there is, my
DB and SIL live near you and belonged to one when my 5 1/2 year old
nieces were younger.) I'm sure somebody there would be delighted.

Kim

Old July 21st 05, 09:48 PM
frood

I'm afraid I'm not friendly with the mom of twins group here, and it isn't
even that close - a 30 minute drive to their meetings. But thanks for the
thought!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

ups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 03:10 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"frood" wrote in message
om...
I now have a pair of car seats that I no longer need. Spike and Giles just
moved up to booster seats. They are 5 years old, but I swear on my fabric
stash that they have never been in a car accident, not even a fender
bender. Can I offer these on freecycle? If not, what am I supposed to do
with them? They are a major brand, and were top-of-the-line when purchased.

I've seen them on our local freecycles before, and they were claimed awfully
quickly. Why not try putting them up on freecycle and see what happens?

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old July 23rd 05, 03:32 PM
Charlotte Hippen

I have heard a couple of different time and from different sources that car
seats that are in accidents or are more than 5 years old should be replaced.
The reasoning is that age and stress from an accident can weaken the plastic
causing them to fail during an accident. On my freecycle we had a post just
a couple of days ago from a women's shelter looking for car seats and they
stated that they wanted them to be less than 5 years old and not in an
accident. If you do offer them on freecycle or donate them make sure you
inform them of their age so they can determine whether or not they want to
take/use them. Otherwise I think your only choice is to "landfill" them as
most places like Goodwill and Salvation Army won't take things like car
seats (IIRC).

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108