Best glue for shells?

Old February 7th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default Best glue for shells?

I recently bought a very nice shell pendant but want to glue some jump
rings on to the back of it so I can attach some strands to it. Would a
normal super glue capable of glueing ceramics work ok? Strangely shells
isn't one of the things they list on the back

TIA

Old February 7th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Most glues don't hold up well to the kind of stress that jump rings
undergo or at least none of my efforts ever did. The best shot would be
epoxy, it bonds well to both shell and metal. If the shell is very
slick you might want to rough the area up a little to give it something
to grip to. Just don't be surprised if it breaks on you as glued
findings often do.

Ingrid

Old February 8th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

mermaidscove_com wrote:

Most glues don't hold up well to the kind of stress that jump rings
undergo or at least none of my efforts ever did. The best shot would be
epoxy, it bonds well to both shell and metal. If the shell is very
slick you might want to rough the area up a little to give it something
to grip to. Just don't be surprised if it breaks on you as glued
findings often do.

Ingrid

Hopefully it won't be under too much stress, the pendant has a whole in
the top which I'll use to attach to the necklace, and all I want to
dangle from it is a couple of swarovski's. I've got three so if it does
go wrong I haven't lost out too much.

Thank you

Old February 8th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Flic wrote:

I recently bought a very nice shell pendant but want to glue some jump
rings on to the back of it so I can attach some strands to it. Would a
normal super glue capable of glueing ceramics work ok? Strangely shells
isn't one of the things they list on the back

Is there a reason you don't wanna drill it?

-- m3rma1d
--
To reply by email, carefully remove my panties.
www.creativespill.com (Now over a year without updates!)

Old February 9th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

m3rma1d wrote:
Flic wrote:

I recently bought a very nice shell pendant but want to glue some jump
rings on to the back of it so I can attach some strands to it. Would a
normal super glue capable of glueing ceramics work ok? Strangely shells
isn't one of the things they list on the back

Is there a reason you don't wanna drill it?

-- m3rma1d

Two actually, the first being that I don't have the tools in order to
do so, and the second that they have 3d design on the front which won't
allow it. If you want to you can see a pic at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Old February 9th 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

"Flic" wrote:

Two actually, the first being that I don't have the tools in order to
do so, and the second that they have 3d design on the front which won't
allow it. If you want to you can see a pic at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Oh dear god not those things... ARGH!

Sorry... my local supplier keeps getting those dumped in their incoming
shipments, and I think even if they wrote "free" on them, they still
couldn't get 'em outta the store. I entertain the staff by picking them up
and taking on various personalities of stupid customers inquiring about
them, complete with dumb ideas, and I get the clerks ROLLING.

Had to share. Kill me if you want. Won't change the fact that the things are
TACKY. (But they can be drilled...)
:-)

-- m3rma1d

Old February 9th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

"m3rma1d" wrote in message

"Flic" wrote:

Two actually, the first being that I don't have the tools in order to
do so, and the second that they have 3d design on the front which won't
allow it. If you want to you can see a pic at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Oh dear god not those things... ARGH!

Sorry... my local supplier keeps getting those dumped in their incoming
shipments, and I think even if they wrote "free" on them, they still
couldn't get 'em outta the store. I entertain the staff by picking them up
and taking on various personalities of stupid customers inquiring about
them, complete with dumb ideas, and I get the clerks ROLLING.

Had to share. Kill me if you want. Won't change the fact that the things
are TACKY. (But they can be drilled...)
:-)
-- m3rma1d

That's not very nice. Perhaps they may be tacky to you, but perhaps they
might not be to someone else. Are you the authority on good taste? If so,
what courses must one take to become one? May we see your credentials?

I know this isn't my conversation, but as I've recently begun beadwork
myself, I've lurked here for a while, and I found this post offensive,
especially since it was a response to a legitimate question of method and
not a question of aesthetics.

In other words, who died and made you Martha Stewart?

Back to Lurking for me.....

Old February 9th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, The Goddess of Truth wrote:

"m3rma1d" wrote in message

"Flic" wrote:

[...]

I agree with "Lurking" - whatever happened to civility in this society.
Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean everybody is interested in
it. With the exception of the very rude comments made above, the posters
on this newsgroup offer good advice, constructive criticism and are
supportive.

So, please don't judge this newsgroup by that post. It's the exception
not the norm.

Signed,

Long-time lurker, occassional poster.
Old February 9th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

get over it you two... I wrote it was MY opinion, sheezus h kryst already..
AND I pointed out they CAN be drilled.

Old February 9th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, m3rma1d wrote:

get over it you two... I wrote it was MY opinion, sheezus h kryst already..
AND I pointed out they CAN be drilled.

If you're going to state you opinion on a public forum you have to expect that
others will might have a response. Get over it yourself.

In stating my personal opinion - when offering advice and criticism I don't
feel the need to personally attack the person who's asking. They didn't ask
what your opinion in regards to their taste - they were asking about a
technique.

Now I'm over with it and done with this conversation.

Have a lovely day.