Sewing chirimen

Old June 3rd 04, 11:28 AM
RuMiKa

Default Sewing chirimen

Hi all!
Sorry to bothering you, I'm new here, and I write from Italy.
I'm not a "sewing mistress" so I'm searching some information about
a japanese fabric named CHIRIMEN.
I have a project with this fabric but I can't find the right needle
and the right stitch to sew together chirimen cloths. I've always sewn
cotton!!!
This chirimen (hope you know it) is a rayon fabric with waving thread,
medium weight
here http://tinyurl.com/yrqsp I found scan of chirimen: all the
horizontal lines are the waving thread.
Can you please suggest me something? In some italian mailing lists
nobody knows chirimen °_°

thankyou very much!
elena

----------
VALAR MORGULIS
----------
Old June 3rd 04, 05:22 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Elena!
I never heard of this before -it's very pretty! What are you planning to
make with it? I would imagine that an ordinary needle and cotton thread
would work just fine, although this fabric might ravel quite a bit if you
sew by hand.
The site had an email address to answer questions -you could always contact
the manufacturer!
Roberta in D

Old June 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
frood

I'm not sure if I've used the same fabric, but the way you describe it
sounds the same. I used my regular sewing machine needle and thread to sew.
If you are sewing with a hand needle (not with a sewing machine), you should
just use a regular needle and thread, but take a backstitch every inch or so
to secure it as you sew. This material is less stiff than cotton. You could
try using a starch stiffener to make it easier to work with. I used a
fusible interfacing with mine, but that was because I was combining it with
cottons in a quilt.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old June 5th 04, 03:13 PM
Dr. Quilter

Ciao Elena,

non ho mai sentito dei 'chirimen' dunque non posso aiutarti. Pero
comunque posso dirte Benvenuta a RCTQ!

Marissa

RuMiKa wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens