Totally OFF Topic - mounting maps

Old December 2nd 04, 02:47 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Totally OFF Topic - mounting maps

My Brownie troop is doing a post card exchange and we want to keep track of
where we are getting post cards from on a map.

I want to mount the maps on something that will make them sturdier and still
allow me to roll them up. ( I have enough to carry! I want to be able to
stick them in a tote with every thing else!)

I was thinking muslin but can think how to bond the paper and fabric.

Cheryl

Old December 2nd 04, 04:21 PM
Lucille

Or how about felt. that would be soft enough to roll but still offer some
protection.
Lucille

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
My Brownie troop is doing a post card exchange and we want to keep track
of
where we are getting post cards from on a map.

I want to mount the maps on something that will make them sturdier and
still
allow me to roll them up. ( I have enough to carry! I want to be able to
stick them in a tote with every thing else!)

I was thinking muslin but can think how to bond the paper and fabric.

Cheryl

Why not laminate them? Although they will make a 'strong' tube
rolled up, it does make things very durable. Most places like
Staples office supplies can do it I think.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:14 PM
CASin43

Oh Cheryl I run 2 Brownie packs(we call them packs in England) at Stanmore
Synagogue about 10 miles NW of London and I do love your idea with the
postcards.
Have being doing Brownies for over 35 years and thoroughly enjoy it. Have my
granddaughter in my pack now.
If you have any games you think I might like please send me details. I'm always
looking for new ideas.

Carol-Ann
10 miles NW of London England
Old December 2nd 04, 07:05 PM
mickey

Cheryl Isaak wrote in message ...
My Brownie troop is doing a post card exchange and we want to keep track of
where we are getting post cards from on a map.

I want to mount the maps on something that will make them sturdier and still
allow me to roll them up. ( I have enough to carry! I want to be able to
stick them in a tote with every thing else!)

I was thinking muslin but can think how to bond the paper and fabric.

Cheryl

(I hope this works, and isn't posted multiple times - Google is acting
funny today!)

What about laminating the maps? Then could and the girls could write
on the maps w/dry-erase markers. I know places like Kinkos do this.
Or I've had great success w/self laminating sheets available at office
supply stores (i.e. Staples). Not sure about the size of the map or
the limitations on the laminating sheets, but I've also had luck with
clear contact paper. All of my soft-cover reference chemistry books
have been covered with this - the covers are still flexible, but not
destroyed some 8 years later, through 3 or 4 moves.

Or would a sheet of posterboard work as well? That would remain
fairly flexible, but it could still be rolled.

Just my random thoughts. Hope this helps!

--Mickey
Mansfield, MA
Old December 2nd 04, 08:46 PM
anne

Cheryl Isaak said
I was thinking muslin but can think how to bond the paper and fabric.

A fusible batting or steam-a-seam or stitch witchery might work to attach the
paper to your muslin.
--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old December 2nd 04, 09:42 PM
Queen City x-stitcher

Cheryl I have the fusible at my house. I'll dig it up for you tomorrow
Bobbie

--
ÐÏࡱá