ISO: Poncho Knit Pattern

Old September 15th 04, 12:51 PM
Debbie Hamann

Default ISO: Poncho Knit Pattern

I have noticed that ponchos are now the BIG item in the stores. I
would like to knit one of my own. Does anyone have a pattern to knit
a poncho or can direct me where to look????

e-mail me-----
thanks
debbie
Old September 15th 04, 02:28 PM
Gillian Murray

"Debbie Hamann" wrote in message
I have noticed that ponchos are now the BIG item in the stores. I
would like to knit one of my own. Does anyone have a pattern to knit
a poncho or can direct me where to look????

e-mail me-----
thanks
debbie

Try google. I entered "knitted poncho" without the quotes and came up with
quite a bunch. Here is the url to one on the Lion Brand site
http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lio...ternIndex.html

Gillian

Old September 15th 04, 05:31 PM
Seaspray

http://crochet.about.com/od/ponchos/...rochet+ponchos

This site has many ponchos to choose from. Have fun!

Diane
_____________________

Old September 15th 04, 06:06 PM
Karen C - California

Cast on 3.

Increase in first stitch of each row until it's long enough and wide enough.

In the middle of the row, cast off however many stitches you need to put the
poncho over your head. In the middle of the next row, cast on however many you
just cast off.

Decrease in the first stitch of each row until you get back to the original 3
stitches. Bind off.

Voila, a triangle poncho. Then if you want to get fancy, you can pick up all
the cast-off/cast-on stitches in the middle and do a turtleneck.
--
Finished 7/18/04 -- 6 bear ornaments
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old September 15th 04, 06:20 PM
Caryn

I have noticed that ponchos are now the BIG item in the stores. I
would like to knit one of my own. Does anyone have a pattern to knit
a poncho or can direct me where to look????

e-mail me-----
thanks
debbie

In addition to the online patterns, most of the knitting magazines have
patterns at the moment.

Not to mention that old knitting books at the library probably have patterns
from the last time ponchos were popular! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old September 15th 04, 06:45 PM
Lucille

The easiest, cheater, way that I know is to make two rectangles and sew them
together, short side to long side, on both ends. You simply have to leave
the amount of room you want for a head to go through.

Lucille

Old September 16th 04, 08:01 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Ponchos come in many forms , but mainly they are a a One piece flat
item with outerlines either rectangular , circular or any fitting
form. You can think about a Blanket with a hole for your head.
Measure your self from Wrist to wrist .
If you want a square poncho this will be the diagonal of poncho , if
you want an rectangular one this will be the width of the poncho.
If you like the idea of a Square one and think of wearing it thus the
points wil hang on your wrists , and in front
you can start with casting on for your head and downwards , adding
stiches on the 4 corners ,... but i find it slows me down ,
I would advice you to calculate the measurements [ use newspapers as
patterns if you can`t SEE it ]. And after calculating cast on the
outer stiches of the poncho on a big circular needle , mark your
corners and decrease in the corners every 2nd round till you get to 10
cm under head opening, now knit as if it is on 2 needls , leavinfg and
opening on one of the decrease corners ans knitting back and forth to
the wished width of the neck ,,,,
If you never knitted a poncho before i would advice cutting , a cloth
one out of some cloth [ old sheet or curtain] just to see how you like
it to Fall on your body .
mirjam

Old September 16th 04, 01:49 PM
Majmoxie

http://crochet.about.com/od/ponchos/...rochet+ponchos

This site has many ponchos to choose from. Have fun!

I swear I spent hours looking for a pattern that I found right away here. The
granny square poncho. My grandmother made my sis and I loads of these in the
early 70s. I had many colors to choose from and wanted to make one for my DD.
Of course my gram didn't work from a pattern. She just kind of made them up as
she went along. Wish I could do that.
Donna @ West Point

to view my blog - http://majtravaux.blogspot.brain.com/
remove brain

Boredom is a choice, not a circumstance.
Old September 16th 04, 03:46 PM
Caryn

http://crochet.about.com/od/ponchos/...rochet+ponchos

This site has many ponchos to choose from. Have fun!

I swear I spent hours looking for a pattern that I found right away here. The
granny square poncho. My grandmother made my sis and I loads of these in the
early 70s. I had many colors to choose from and wanted to make one for my DD.
Of course my gram didn't work from a pattern. She just kind of made them up
as
she went along. Wish I could do that.
Donna @ West Point

A couple years ago I made all three of my girls ponchos, one was made up of
small granny squares, the other two were more or less big grannies with a hole
in the center for their heads.

No pattern, just went for it! They came out great tho.

Old September 17th 04, 12:16 PM
BDS2pds

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lio...ttp://www.lion
brand.com/patterns/

lots of them to knit ! and crochet! I am making the Color Waves one right now

FS: Knit and Crochet pattern books William Boulter Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 05:23 AM
FS: Knit and Crochet pattern books William Boulter Marketplace 0 December 1st 04 05:20 AM
poncho pattern Hubbell's Needlework 1 August 24th 04 01:50 AM
Newbie question for a machine knit lace pattern... Diamanda_of_Lancre Machine Knit 4 April 9th 04 10:29 AM
knitting pattern to make a poncho Raymonde Boulay Needlework 1 November 18th 03 03:59 PM