Kiln Elements

Old June 30th 04, 05:54 PM
Kevin Baldwin

Default Kiln Elements

How long could I reasonably expect my kiln elements to last. So far I have
fired
23 bisque firings upto 1000'C
12 eathenware firings upto 1150'C
18 stoneware firings upto 1265'C

I have noticed that at stoneware temperatures I have to be very careful not
to overpack the kiln otherwise it struggles to reach temperature in a
reasonable time. But I am sure its getting slower.

Thanks

Kevin

Old June 30th 04, 08:04 PM
Tony

Kevin,
Last year I fired my used (10 year old) kiln 58 times, half bisque and half
stoneware (cone 6) and it hasn't slowed down a bit. Maybe you have a loose
connection on (or to) one of the elements or something?
Bisque in 4 hours, (Yeah I know, some say you shouldn't fire that fast)
and ^6 in 6 hours. I am getting consistently good results so will probably
keep my current techniques going.
Tony
http://tonyolsen.com/up/

k...

Old June 30th 04, 08:37 PM
roz lacey

I have just used a new independent supplier for my kiln elements and from
what he tells me, it all depends on the kiln you're using.. I have a
Starworker hobby kiln which is supposed to fire to stoneware, but my only
attempt resulted in smoke coming from somewhere so I decided to stick to
earthenware. My new supplier told me that if I wished to fire to stoneware,
I should up the power of the kiln elements from 16 to 20 amp and get it
wired into the main electrical supply (bypassing the 13 amp fuse). In this
way I could get at least 25 stoneware firings out of it, without damaging
the kiln. As far as other firings, he said "How long is a piece of
string". He also winds the kiln wire slightly longer than usual. Due to
the expansion and shrinkage of the elements, he believes, allowing extra
length caused less bulging, into the body of the kiln. He also makes
special pins and lots of them for securely fastening the elements. On top
of that, I saved approx 40% from my old big name supplier. Can't be bad!.
As far as the usage of ITC 213 is concerned, he has no feedback to offer as
it is a new concept in UK.

Hope it helps.

Old July 3rd 04, 08:34 PM
Rémi Serrette

Hi,

Elements can be unable to get stoneware temperature, or it takes a long time
(and you can use it normally to fire earthenware). Of course, verify
connections, but take a ohmmeter and verify each element. You must diconnect
the element and plug the ohmmeter on each extremity : it will give you the
indice of resistance (if you've got a new one, try on it : you'll know the
normal indice and compare). Ask me if you need more precisions.
Personnaly, it appears to me some years ago with a kiln : elements were not
broken and still worked correctly up to 1000°C, but it was almost impossible
to get 1280°C.

Good luck and think that anyway time's comen to change your elements ;-)

Rémi

http://serrette.free.fr