Being of Sound Mind

Old September 3rd 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Being of Sound Mind

Now I really don't mean to be a downer here but have you considered
what/where your tools and stash would go if you passed ( or failed)?
There's a little paragraph in my will that says that my opals go to the
only October baby in our family. Other than that - not specifically much.
Why I mention this is because there have been three very young deaths in
our family this year; all so young I guess they never thought they needed a
will. What a terrible 'assume'. What a painful 'assume'.
If you get run down by a motorcycle in the aisle at prayer meeting
Wednesday night at the First Methodist Church - would your stash be sold at
an Estate Sale for 25¢ a yard? And why wouldn't that be okay? Maybe
someone who quilts would cherish it.
Would it be stuck in a storage rent-all by Greedy Aunt Gertie who will
never use it and never turn it loose?
Your thoughts? Polly

Old September 3rd 11, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Well, being who I am, I've had a will since I was 29 because of all the
flying and where I lived in a lesser safe place in the US, bush Alaska,
prone to random accidents of flying everywhere. Updated when I was about 38
and needing to update again. I'm currently preparing a document that has
all financial, insurance, benificiary and other property listed that will go
to all pertinent family members to be opened upon my death so they can have
all information in one spot and the ability to process everything quickly
and efficiently. Also a list of who gets what things such as the eskimo
doll made by a village eskimo elder to Bert's daughter and the grass baskets
to Bert's son, etc. I've even asked four former students for their contact
information to be pallbearers at my service, whatever service my family
decides within my guidelines even with cremation being my choice. My
quilting stash? Well, I haven't added that to my list yet, not that I
haven't thought about it because I have. I just don't know where to have
all my fabric, books, notions and machines go. I just do know that I want
it to go to person(s) that want it or will appreciate it. I have other
things on the list to decide as well, just haven't worked through it all
yet, but your post reminds me that yes, I really must.

Steven
Alaska

Old September 3rd 11, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

All done. When my circumstances changed so radically last year, one of
the things to be considered was all the 'end of life' stuff. It was a
rough few months doing it all; but now I have Will (very detailed and
prescriptive), Power of Attorney, hymns and readings for the requiem,
grave plot and type of coffin. It felt good getting it all done - even
though it was so horrible to be thinking of all these things, so soon
after the break up and all that entailed. But, I have a very efficient
solicitor and I can now breathe easily about all those 'ultimates'- even
forget them with a bit of luck!
Sensible reminder, Polly..
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old September 3rd 11, 08:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary O'Neill

I have not done this, but I really need to do this with my mother. She
has Stage IV breast cancer. Her prognosis was six years, in '07, or take
longer depending on new medications and how she reacts to treatments.

We have the Advance Health Care Directive, just need to fill it out.
Who do we go to for a Will and Power of Attorney? What kind of
attorney? Anyone have suggestions for the East valley of Phoenix?

Old September 3rd 11, 11:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I aim to give the DDs whatever personal items they want while I can
still do it in person, and I usually hand them something every time
they come to visit. But you're right, those motorcycles at the prayer
meeting are a real hazard. I should write it down, especially the
furniture. As for the quilting stuff, I like to think it will find
where it's most needed. The finished quilts seem to do that for
themselves, if you listen to what they tell you.
Roberta in D

Old September 3rd 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Choose carefully, Mary. I've always been around attorneys and there's as
much variety there as there is with doctors or any other skill. Some are
thorough and brilliant. Some's Daddy must have bought their law degree
because they don't know diddly and would rather be playing golf. Polly

Old September 3rd 11, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Polly, you couldn't be more correct on that!

I have my 5 wishes filled out, a copy registered with my doctor, those
who need to know at work know my DNR demand. Will is complete, my
stash of fabric and yarn have been allocated to the Girl Scouts and
local Senior Concerns. Power of Attorney is done. Back in 1999 when I
had my serious surgery, I remember sitting in the car at 4AM and
writing everything out, things were so crystal clear that morning. It
has been updated since then.

Ginger in CA

Old September 3rd 11, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

On 9/2/2011 8:58 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
[...]

It's not in my will but both DH & DD know that, once I have gone to
the Rainbow Bridge to meet up with all my Angel Babies, my stash room is
to be opened up to all of my friends. They may take whatever they want.
When they are finished, my remaining stash is to be given to the local
Women's Shelter or a similar organization.
When I packing up stuff in preparation for putting the house on the
market and moving here, I obviously had to go through all of my stash.
I had a pile of stuff I was bringing with me, a pile of stuff to send to
Jill ( http://www.crittercomforts.com }, and a pile of stuff to be given
away. Actually the give away pile was more like Mt. Rushmore -- LOLOL!
I had fabrics for quilting, sewing & needlework and patterns for
quilting, sewing & needlework and books for quilting, sewing &
needlework and a whole passel of needlework kits and miscellaneous craft
"stuff". I had so much stuff that I loaded up two suitcases and FOUR
large tote bags (and I STILL had Mt. Rushmore sized pile left!!) and
took it to my Needlework Group meeting in April. All my friends got to
take what they wanted and I was going to give the rest to the Goodwill
until one of the women said the youth group at her church was having a
"craft" item yard sale the next weekend. I told her to take what was
left and let her church group sell it and do whatever they wanted with
what was not sold :-).
Now, one of my friends was late showing up for the meeting and she
mentioned that her Ladies Group at church was having their annual Summer
Sale the last weekend of May. I told her and my Needlework Group that I
STILL had a bunch of stuff to be given away and would be bringing it to
the May Needlework Group meeting. So come May, I again pack up the two
suitcases and FIVE tote bags this time with the last of my stuff and
schlepp it to the meeting. Everyone took what they wanted and the rest
went to my friends church group for them to sale.
I still have boxes and boxes of stuff in storage and piles of stuff
I brought to the cabin with me but I got rid of absolutely massive
amounts of stuff and was happy to do so. I knew my friends got what
they wanted and the rest went to a worthy cause -- a win-win if you ask
me :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 3rd 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
[...]

:-).
[...]

Gosh! Your former stash sounds a lot more than I have, BUT I have WAY too
much. Intentions were to go through it this summer, but I have been too
sick to do a through job. Plans were, and are, to sew up as much as I can
for my DGD school clothes ( 4th grade) and pillowcases, and maybe make a
couple quilts. DH & I have wills that won't need to be updated as we have
only 1 son, and he has a family. I've already made sure he has a working
Kenmore SM. DIL does not sew. DH & DS know what to do with m y best SMs,
and give the cloth to any friends who ask for it and the rest to Goodwill.
When I get to FL this winter I will finish cleaning out the stash down there
and get it down to the bare necessities.
Not feeling well these past 2 years has really woke me up as to what HAS to
get done! The days I feel well made me go through things the best I can!
Barbara in SC

Old September 3rd 11, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

You kind of lost me with the 'being of sound mind' part of this. lol There
have
been a few losses in our local quilting community here as of late. Much
has gone to charity and others sold at yard sales. I think some of this
stuff
just is forever shuffled around. I don't think there is anyone in the
family
that has any interest in my stash. DH has been advised that if I 'go first'
he just should marry another quilter. Thank you for getting me really
thinking
of this stuff. You are right, nothing should be assumed.
I am sorry for your losses. That is tough. My heart goes out to you all.
Hugs, Taria